Smashed the screen on my Blade

Guest Broc

I haven't used my orange sim since I used-up the £10 they make you buy, can I use that SIM to buy a new SF at less that £110?

Or will they fix it for a few quid? (probably not unless I get the orange ROM back on it, good god lol)

Guest ballist1x

hmm screens were pretty expensive anyway, now that we have touch screens the cost mus be through the roof relatively to the cost of the item itself, making most repairs pretty much un-economical i would have thought.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Unlucky.

The large OLE Screen is not going to be cheap iPhone 3G screens at 1/2 the resolution cost 40 quid to replace minimum.

If you ring up on the phone the customer service people will probably give you the best deal they can - I imagine you can get them down to 79.99

And if you get a really nice one you may convince them that the SIM you have will do...

Otherwise you now have a spare

• Battery
  • Headphones
  • Back Cover
  • Charger

Plus you can use your broken phone to charge your spare battery - not great but not a complete loss.

Guest causeway

Ohhh, perfect time to check if that stupid plastic/glass front can come off to deal with that 'san francisco' branding. Is it all one piece screen and digitizer? Or can the front come off without destroying the whole unit?

Unlucky on breaking your screen, orange will probably give you a good deal on a new one though. Good luck.

The first lady I spoke to at Orange said it would be £110, then the sales lady said it would be £110, and then the India repairs chap said the shop might simply replace it but I guess he thought I'd be given a broken phone as I doubt they will just give me a new phone.

Ohhh, perfect time to check if that stupid plastic/glass front can come off to deal with that 'san francisco' branding. Is it all one piece screen and digitizer? Or can the front come off without destroying the whole unit?

LOL, I don't know, I'll let you as it crumbles over the next couple of days.

Unlucky on breaking your screen, orange will probably give you a good deal on a new one though. Good luck.

They they won't, they pretty much told me to **** ***

Guest Freekers

How did you managed to break it ? I am a drummer and I have smashed my Blade a couple of times now with my drum sticks at full speed while sitting, having the phone in my trousers pocket and just missing my snare drum...)

It fell out of my pocket when I was getting my keys out of my pocket. I've dropped it a few time but always onto a welcoming carpet, but this time it was onto gnarled concrete.

Guest dadashi
It fell out of my pocket when I was getting my keys out of my pocket. I've dropped it a few time but always onto a welcoming carpet, but this time it was onto gnarled concrete.

It's a good thing the Sf costs as much as it does. I can see that happening to me too. Imagine if that was your 400 pound desire or iPhone dropping unto the pavement!!!

I'd like to tie a neck band unto it so I could carry it around in my shirt pocket or just hang around my neck.

BUT is doesn't have a hole for a noose....

How could I attach a neck band to the SF...?

Edited by dadashi

Guest causeway

Get your dremel out. Heh, perhaps you could put a silicon case on the phone and make a hole in that? Keep me updated on the screen please thanks! :rolleyes: the branding is the only thing that detracts from this otherwise stunning little phone.

Get your dremel out. Heh, perhaps you could put a silicon case on the phone and make a hole in that? Keep me updated on the screen please thanks! :rolleyes: the branding is the only thing that detracts from this otherwise stunning little phone.

what would you do take the screen off to remove the 'San Francisco' if you could?

it annoys me too but not enough to spade to it to get the screen off.

One other thing, you say that's the only thing that detracts from it, but what about MMS... do you use them, if so which network are you on? I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell they'll give me a new phone and I'm not sure I want to buy another if it can't handle MMS.

Guest dadashi
....the branding is the only thing that detracts from this otherwise stunning little phone.

Why was it named San Francisco? Why not London or Manchester or Liverpool....

At least it doesn't have stars and stripes on it... :rolleyes:

Edited by dadashi

Guest spoonium

Heh, I guess no football fan would have bought it then if it was named after a British city (well of course except those that live there or are fans of). :rolleyes:

Guest causeway
Why was it named San Francisco? Why not London or Manchester or Liverpool....

At least it doesn't have stars and stripes on it...

Could have ended up being called sydney :rolleyes:

What would you do take the screen off to remove the 'San Francisco' if you could?

it annoys me too but not enough to spade to it to get the screen off.

I'd try to take the front off and paint it or remove it and sand it down. Best thing would be if the replacement part was available from zte. 'ZTE' would be much better than whats on there already.

Phone Orange again and speak to someone else, say that you called earlier and were quoted £79 for a SF as an existing customer. I had an orange SIM from about a year ago that I only got for Orange Wednesdays and it only got topped up with the £5 credit that came with it. I was successful on the 2nd call and it arrived today. Just about to unlock it :rolleyes:

The Orange shop now do it only with a £20 top up. 5 calls to sales and the best I can get is £109. If I wait another 7 weeks, I can get it for £78 because I'll have been with them for 3 months even if I don't top-up again. And said he had never heard about a council discount etc etc. And they said they'd never heard of play.com

While I'm at it, because I can't get my Blade to receive MMS on giffgaff, I'm thinking of changing to t-mobile on this offer.. another thread I started if you wanted to pitch in on that, too, thanks.

Well it's only the 'digitiser' protector glass that's broken but neither the Orange shop nor the mobiles repair chap could fix it as neither of them have parts for it yet.

The orange shop didn't know anything about the price of £78 that the online sales team are offering for 3 month-standing PAYG customers (which I'm not anyway but thought I'd ask him).

I'm getting a council worker friend to buy one for me, which will be £99 with £20 of credit and some extraneous freebies.

Play.com have them in stock for £99 including £10 of top-up but I'm going to play safe and buy it from Orange for the same price.

Guest kissofjudas

Well add another one Mine's gone as well front 'glass' intact but digitizer screen Kaput - may ebay it to recoup some cash - don't intend to buy another - whilst it appears good value there is little or no support for it - camera sucks, generally budget kit for a budget price.