So what is it really...?

Guest Adrian_C

Guest Adrian_C

Since I have a bit of a philosophical objection to giving Dixons any of my money, what is the Advent Vega really...?

Are there any rumours yet of anybody else who'll be OEMing it for the UK? Or is it a bit early and we'll have to wait-and-see until it actually hits the shelves and somebody can peel the undoubtedly wonky Advent sticker off?

Guest Adrian_C

Cheers, chaps.

Nothing on Scan, Overclocker or eBuyer as yet - although there's a 7" for pre-order which I presume is the same device as the Amico. <stifles yawn>

I shall keep 'em peeled. It looks like a rather decent device.

Cheers, chaps.

Nothing on Scan, Overclocker or eBuyer as yet - although there's a 7" for pre-order which I presume is the same device as the Amico. <stifles yawn>

I shall keep 'em peeled. It looks like a rather decent device.

I think this is a video from the OEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypj6JxXcxu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6b-QvbeEqU...feature=related

Also Ive read that there is a shuttle (another brand) version been spotted around (cant find link now)

Guest Bisto321

Thing that worries me about all these Tegra2 jobbies is that not even the mighty Toshiba has managed to nail one together properly!

I am sure it will happen, but you guys may have to use the excellent devs here and at XDA to 'tide you over' until they get a stable firmware/software/hardware combo.

Only two theoretically in the wild at the moment and one has not actually been in anyone’s grubby mitts yet - I am gonna play with my 7incher until this Tegra2 thing settles.

Does this have a G-Sensor/accelerometer?

None of the videos i've seen are showing it in use and the spec sheets vary wildly. Anyone have proof that it does include a g-sensor?

EDIT: Found a video that shows it does have a g-sensor

Edited by mcb00f

Guest TheLegendaryJay

As it's obviously not on a 'tablet friendly' version of Android, what is the resolution like with most apps?

I've heard some apps on the 7" Galaxy Tab don't display correctly, so as this has more than 45% 'usable' screen real estate, I'd have thought it to be worse and more apps having issues?

Guest McSpoon

The whole tablet resolution/DPI thing confuses me.

The Galaxy Tab uses 'hdpi' graphics but if you do the maths it should use 'mdpi' because 1024x600 over 7" is 170dpi. The Android devs explained in this post why the Galaxy Tab broke the rules, it's simply because "it looks better that way".

The Advent Vega is 1024x600 over 10" so thats roughly 120dpi, which falls into the 'ldpi' category. The HTC Tattoo, Wildfire and other QVGA screens typically use graphics that low. So it will be interesting to see what the 'ro.sf.lcd_density' property is set to on the Vega. Technically, it should be 120dpi but perhaps they'll bump it up to 160dpi. Or maybe they'll pretend it's 240dpi like the Galaxy Tab does. It's all a bit crazy.

This doesn't answer the question about whether the apps will display correctly, but still it's kind of interesting.

Guest Adrian_C
The whole tablet resolution/DPI thing confuses me.

<snip>

This doesn't answer the question about whether the apps will display correctly, but still it's kind of interesting.

I don't see why dpi makes any difference to how apps display. All the app cares about is the resolution. 1024x600 is 1024x600 whether it's on a 50" plasma or a 7" tablet.

dpi only comes into it when you're trying to figure out whether that's readable to the human eye from a certain distance...

Guest SilentMobius
I don't see why dpi makes any difference to how apps display. All the app cares about is the resolution. 1024x600 is 1024x600 whether it's on a 50" plasma or a 7" tablet.

dpi only comes into it when you're trying to figure out whether that's readable to the human eye from a certain distance...

Not true, the rendering of view object depends highly on the dpi (build.prop) value for the device you're using. Any UI element that uses "Wrap content" (Which is many) will scale according to the DPI setting and resource images will be selected depending of where the DPI falls between ldpi-mdpi-hdpi

Unlike the iPhone (where devs have been hard-coding height/width since day 1) Android devs have been encouraged to use relative (and thus fluid) layouts. Just look at the Google App screenshots in the hacking thread, the sizing "just works" if you alter the dpi settings in the build.prop you can make the fonts/icons/chrome smaller or larger on the screen

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest Adrian_C
Not true, the rendering of view object depends highly on the dpi (build.prop) value for the device you're using. Any UI element that uses "Wrap content" (Which is many) will scale according to the DPI setting and resource images will be selected depending of where the DPI falls between ldpi-mdpi-hdpi

Unlike the iPhone (where devs have been hard-coding height/width since day 1) Android devs have been encouraged to use relative (and thus fluid) layouts. Just look at the Google App screenshots in the hacking thread, the sizing "just works" if you alter the dpi settings in the build.prop you can make the fonts/icons/chrome smaller or larger on the screen

Ah, I think I see what must be happening - at hdpi, there's a presumption that the screen's ickle, so big fonts are needed to avoid the user squinting. At ldpi, the opposite happens to prevent little-old-lady's-library-book large-print syndrome. At mdpi, something about bears and porridge happens. Or something. Gotcha.