Current Location in Google Maps not working?

Guest castab

I cant seem to get the current location in google maps working, I've switched on Settings > Location & Security > Use Wireless Networks, but it just doesn't seem to work - anyone else got this issue?

Also how would one go about uninstalling things like 'Phone' and 'SuperUser' from r3? I have custom rom installed with performance pack and wallpaper fix and skype fix.

Cheers in advance.

J

Guest Pyr0x64
I cant seem to get the current location in google maps working, I've switched on Settings > Location & Security > Use Wireless Networks, but it just doesn't seem to work - anyone else got this issue?

Also how would one go about uninstalling things like 'Phone' and 'SuperUser' from r3? I have custom rom installed with performance pack and wallpaper fix and skype fix.

Cheers in advance.

J

same here, location not working via wireless

doesn't the location thing work on wifi only from public hotspots? google won't know where your router/connection is located

Didn't think so, I thought it used the data from your wifi network to determine your approximate location. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, pretty sure they have a huge database of where wifi access points are - it seems to know exactly where I am when I'm only on wifi on my phone (and it could at least narrow it down to general area by IP). I think this is something that's broken, would love to get a fix...

Guest James Muscat

Pretty sure there's not going to be a way for it to determine your location unless you have a GPS device connected... and remember that Google have been told to delete their big database of wifi data collected by the Street View car...

Also fairly sure that Maps on your phone will do some fancy mobile-base-station triangulation thing to approximate your location without referring to GPS. At least, my Nokia version of Google Maps does!

No, I'm pretty sure there's wifi positioning information used in Android for location - The database that Google deleted was the database full of people's Wifi passwords, which they apparently accidentally collected, along with the location information.

Guest dr_nick
No, I'm pretty sure there's wifi positioning information used in Android for location - The database that Google deleted was the database full of people's Wifi passwords, which they apparently accidentally collected, along with the location information.

heh - how they manage to do that?!

Guest firedup

Correct. It should find it from your wifi.

Hasn't found my location via wi-fi, but it does have my saved places from Googles navigation app I have on my phone which is cool.

Edited by Drizz