ZTE V9 Tablet

Guest J_Martin

Guest Sebastian404
Something different ?

adb doesn't recognise the device at all now. Doesn't appear in 'adb devices' despite showing in lsusb with the correct ID. Want me to reboot fully to make sure ?

Ok, I was trying to avoid this, but I've put a nasty little hack into the init.rc to create a symlink...

recovery mounts stuff down /system/ hence the idea of having everything in /sbin/

Can you give this a go and let me know if you see anything else up:

http://android.podtwo.com/light/

b8

Guest Sebastian404
FWIW, I've compiled up my own recovery now based on the latest froyo cryanogen source and I get the same issue withe adb.

Question - how did you manage to get the build system to replace the stock init.rc with your own ? Naming it init.blade.rc gets it into the root image but not the recovery image, and it seems that even if you insert it into the root folder next to usb.conf, etc that it always gets overwritten to the stock during a future step in the build process. In the end I hacked the make files to get mine to work but that obviously isn't optimal.

I've been meaning to upload my files to github..

http://github.com/sebastian404/android_device_zte_light

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest alpha xs

Hi guys!

Good job so far!

Just want to add free network unlocking site!!!

www.nextgenserver.com/calculator/

It works with the blade, and reading what you said about the similarities of the devices, i give it a try.

Didn't wokr the first 3 attempts (don't know why...) but finally it came trough!

I've selecte ZTE » ZTE Blade Android and that's it!!!

Network Sim Unlocked!

Best Regards!

Guest serialmonkey

B8 looks good ! I say that is a recovery image for the masses. Who do we need to shake to get a ZTE Light forum here on Modaco ?

In B8, the adbd, is that one you compiled from cryanogen or did you extract that from a romdump ? (i.e. why doesn't this one hang on adb shell)

Now that I can build my own recovery image (and thanks for your github code, I see how you got your init.rc in there), what barriers can I expect in building a new boot.img and system.img. I tried a make bacon instead of make recoveryimage but it got a fair way through before failing with a java compilation error. I'm yet to find time and go back to dig further.

Thanks again for all your help by the way, especially since you don't even have a ZTE light :-)

Guest Sebastian404
B8 looks good ! I say that is a recovery image for the masses. Who do we need to shake to get a ZTE Light forum here on Modaco ?

In B8, the adbd, is that one you compiled from cryanogen or did you extract that from a romdump ? (i.e. why doesn't this one hang on adb shell)

Now that I can build my own recovery image (and thanks for your github code, I see how you got your init.rc in there), what barriers can I expect in building a new boot.img and system.img. I tried a make bacon instead of make recoveryimage but it got a fair way through before failing with a java compilation error. I'm yet to find time and go back to dig further.

Thanks again for all your help by the way, especially since you don't even have a ZTE light :-)

Your welcome, I hope to one day get a ZTE light.. assuming they ever make it here..

to be honest, its a NASTY NASTY hack I'm put in, making a symlink to /sbin/sh, the recovery ADBD should point to /sbin/sh because the recovery program (even the 'offical' one) mounts stuff to /system/ when its doing to recovery... so if you start the recovery off and then do an ADB your using the rom's shell, not the recovery shell, could cause problems.

I'm not sure if there is any point in feeding it back to ZTE as the language barrier seems to hard to break

I did not really look that closely at the init.rc scripts in the boot, but ZTE made a total mess of the ones on the Blade, I'd expect they did the same with the Light.. tho maybe they have learned better....

I'd say you should get a Forum for the device, apart from Paul I'm not sure who you should bug tho... try posting in here

The hardest part of messing about with Android is getting your build environment set up right, having the right version of Java is allways a good one.. I spent about 2 hours this afternoon messing about with another project before I realized it was because I was using Java 1.6 rather than 1.5 ...

Gingerbread needs a 64bit build environment, so I'm going to have to start the long and painful process all over again soon :unsure:

Guest serialmonkey

Question - in your device_blade.mk (from your blade GIT) I see the following line

pathmap_INCL := recovery:device/zte/blade/recovery

But it's missing from device_light.mk. Isn't this the line that causes the files in recovery/etc (usb.conf, init.rc, etc) to be pulled into the image ? If I insert the pathmap_INCL into my device_light.mk then it does appear to pull the contents of recover/etc correctly. I'm still having 'adb shell' hang on me though despite the two new lines in init.rc-fixed, permissions thing.

Edited by serialmonkey

Guest Sebastian404
Question - in your device_blade.mk (from your blade GIT) I see the following line

pathmap_INCL := recovery:device/zte/blade/recovery

But it's missing from device_light.mk. Isn't this the line that causes the files in recovery/etc (usb.conf, init.rc, etc) to be pulled into the image ? If I insert the pathmap_INCL into my device_light.mk then it does appear to pull the contents of recover/etc correctly.

Thats very odd, the device_blade.mk is generated 'automaticaly' by script, so I' not sure why it missed that out... but yes it should be there

I'm still having 'adb shell' hang on me though despite the two new lines in init.rc-fixed, permissions thing.

Is that with your build? or my b8? if its mine let me know what you did so I can fix it and promote it to 'final'

Guest Sebastian404
trying to download the source... the speed is about 5 kB/s, so long time to go...

any ideas what soft will I need to compile/build it?

Unfortunatly the Froyo Source for the Blade also was pushed out at the same time, so theres a riot broken out over that with everyone in the world downloading it at once..

Theres loads of tutorials around the net for how to do it.... but basicaly.. unzip it, then

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/prebuilt/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi- $1

you need to adjust that for your enviorment of course...

and based on experience with the ZTE Blade, it wont compile from the off, so you'll need to fix the bugs/typos in their source.

Guest BlcakFox

finally downloaded. now installing linux on virtual machine, and then I'll try to build it.

if anybody wants, I can upload the source to some filesharing (ie depositfiles)

Guest Sebastian404
finally downloaded. now installing linux on virtual machine, and then I'll try to build it.

if anybody wants, I can upload the source to some filesharing (ie depositfiles)

It might be a good idea

Guest serialmonkey
Is that with your build? or my b8? if its mine let me know what you did so I can fix it and promote it to 'final'

Nope, mine - I had my own init.rc which wasn't setting permissions on /system

Guest Sebastian404
Nope, mine - I had my own init.rc which wasn't setting permissions on /system

Cool, I've removed the old builds and promoted b8 to 'final'

Im trying to get the kernel built, so I can then rebuild another version with EXT3 support

Guest serialmonkey

Spent 5 minutes on it this morning. I can get it to compile with the attached patch, but it doesn't boot (surprise surprise). I just spliced it into my recovery.img.

Might have time later today to have another look - I'm currently fighting with java compiliation issues with cyanogen-froyo-stable

Edited by serialmonkey

Guest Sebastian404
Spent 5 minutes on it this morning. I can get it to compile with the attached patch, but it doesn't boot (surprise surprise). I just spliced it into my recovery.img.

Might have time later today to have another look - I'm currently fighting with java compiliation issues with cyanogen-froyo-stable

I've remebered why I hated JAVA so much... its scary how much of my Unviersity course has come flooding back... along with memories of the pain and suffering..... Im starting to think I blanked a lot of the horror out....

Guest serialmonkey
I've remebered why I hated JAVA so much... its scary how much of my Unviersity course has come flooding back... along with memories of the pain and suffering..... Im starting to think I blanked a lot of the horror out....

This is something they have broken - lots of people have reported the issue, but I can't google up a solution at this stage. Might just have to remove the offending code and see what happens. It's basically this problem here - http://pastebin.com/VunEG4d3

Guest Sebastian404
This is something they have broken - lots of people have reported the issue, but I can't google up a solution at this stage. Might just have to remove the offending code and see what happens. It's basically this problem here - http://pastebin.com/VunEG4d3

your building the froyo branch, not the gingerbread or eclair?

Guest serialmonkey
your building the froyo branch, not the gingerbread or eclair?

Correct, both the froyo and froyo-stable branches fail with the same error.

Guest Sebastian404
Correct, both the froyo and froyo-stable branches fail with the same error.

you could try grabbing an ealier commit version I guess... tho Im not sure how you'd know when they introduced that bug