Custom Rom 2.3

Guest C0rpi

Hello Community

When comes a Custom Rom from Modaco, with Gingerbread. I've heared, that yesterday google statet to push out for some nexus one devices gingerbread.

I want it too! ;P

Hello Community

When comes a Custom Rom from Modaco, with Gingerbread. I've heared, that yesterday google statet to push out for some nexus one devices gingerbread.

I want it too! ;P

+1

Google haven't started pushing anything out to the N1, yet.

Exactly.. and an MCR won't be based on the hacked AOSP or hacked emulator ROMs, it'll be based on the official Google ROM, so, we gotta wait.

Guest Aviatorboy
Exactly.. and an MCR won't be based on the hacked AOSP or hacked emulator ROMs, it'll be based on the official Google ROM, so, we gotta wait.

and how much do you reckon we will have to wait? weeks/months?

and how much do you reckon we will have to wait? weeks/months?

According to some Google tweet, a few weeks.

My own opinion? I don't know, I'm not google, I don't have sources, I just wait.

Guest Cometer

Just to be clear. I don't have any problem waiting a few weeks.

But truth is right now Google only has two official phones. I frankly don't understand why they didn't release Gingerbread for both phones at the same time.

By contrast when the iPhone 4 was released, Apple had the update ready for both iPhone 3 and iPhone 3GS. In the last iOS 4 update they released it across all their devices at the same time. iPhone 3, iPhone 3Gs and iPad.

Microsoft is also doing their own updates across all Windows Phone 7 devices.

I love Android openness vs iOS Apple dictatorship, but frankly if Google and partners continue this way, delaying OS updates over and over again I'm not getting enough return on my investment.

I do hope by the time Honeycomb gets released they'll have worked out their device support issues.

@Cometer

Agreed... If even Hacked AOSP could be (and has been) compiled to be implemented on N1 by the android community, why Google takes so much time to do it themselves, its kinda a dick move because the N1 isn't even for sale anymore, it couldn't hurt to get 2.3 on both devices... It's not like N1 couldn't handle it either...

Agreed... If even Hacked AOSP could be (and has been) compiled to be implemented on N1 by the android community, why Google takes so much time to do it themselves, its kinda a dick move because the N1 isn't even for sale anymore, it couldn't hurt to get 2.3 on both devices... It's not like N1 couldn't handle it either...

There is a huge difference between "hey, we compiled Gingerbread AOSP to run on the N1, it sort of works ... partially ... sometimes" and "here is the fully working and supported version for your phone which won't eat your data". I guess that the Google engineers were busy getting Gingerbread ready and adapting it for the Nexus S and simply didn't have the necessary resources to work on the release for the Nexus One at the same time.

Well, they could probably have taken half of the team working on the Nexus S and have them work on the Nexus One ROM, postponing the Nexus S and overall Gingerbread release by maybe one or two months. But at least the Nexus One owners would have been happy. Makes perfect sense, right? (Hint: in a world where you want to take market share from your competitors, it doesn't.)

Especially, as you pointed out, since the Nexus One isn't available any more, it's not like a new OS version will generate massive sales. On the contrary, now Nexus One owners might buy the Nexus S just to get their hands on the new Android version (at least the geekier types; which I usually am, but this time the difference between the N1 and the NS is simply too small for my taste).

Regards,

lcg

Guest Cometer
There is a huge difference between "hey, we compiled Gingerbread AOSP to run on the N1, it sort of works ... partially ... sometimes" and "here is the fully working and supported version for your phone which won't eat your data". I guess that the Google engineers were busy getting Gingerbread ready and adapting it for the Nexus S and simply didn't have the necessary resources to work on the release for the Nexus One at the same time.

Well, they could probably have taken half of the team working on the Nexus S and have them work on the Nexus One ROM, postponing the Nexus S and overall Gingerbread release by maybe one or two months. But at least the Nexus One owners would have been happy. Makes perfect sense, right? (Hint: in a world where you want to take market share from your competitors, it doesn't.)

Especially, as you pointed out, since the Nexus One isn't available any more, it's not like a new OS version will generate massive sales. On the contrary, now Nexus One owners might buy the Nexus S just to get their hands on the new Android version (at least the geekier types; which I usually am, but this time the difference between the N1 and the NS is simply too small for my taste).

Regards,

lcg

I agree with you but that's the problem.

First Nexus One is still for sale. Just not available on Google own store in the US. Second Nexus One still is a developer phone. Many developers continue to use it to build applications for Android. Third Google has two phones.

TWO phones.

The OS for the Nexus S or Nexus One is the same. It's not like their building a new OS for each phone. The only "stuff" that changes from phone to phone are specific hardware drivers. Imagine if Microsoft or other companies had to test every single device before releasing an OS update.

As a side note. Honeycomb was just shown on CES.

First. It looks good.

Second. The custom UI tradition continues. And that means yet again that when an update to Honeycomb comes, you most probably will have to wait a few months before you can get it.

As I said in the previous post. I'll wait and see.

I am frankly disappointed by google. I had hoped for me, with the purchase of a Nexus One always have the current ROM on my phone. 1 month after the presentation of Ginger Bread, should Google be able to ex/inport the 2.3 to the beatiful N1. I hope now that a CustomRom (AOSP) soon brings a stable version.

Looking forward to more news.

I agree with you but that's the problem.

If you agree with me, I don't see a problem. :D

First Nexus One is still for sale. Just not available on Google own store in the US.

Are there still carriers that offer the Nexus One? Because I thought that most carriers had dropped the N1 due to its low availability (which was due to the shortage of the screen, but that isn't the point). At least in my corner of the world, the only way to still get a Nexus One is via Google as a developer phone. But even if it's still available, if somebody is desperately looking for a new phone with Gingerbread, they can buy the Nexus S. And if they want to buy the Nexus One, they know that they will have to wait a little while before they get Gingerbread for their phone. That's the trade-off.

Second Nexus One still is a developer phone. Many developers continue to use it to build applications for Android.

And it will receive Gingerbread eventually. But if you argue that the developer phone needs to run the latest OS version, I respectfully disagree. IMO, the point of real hardware for development is real world testing: Does the app feel comfortable to use? Do users find it intuitive? Does it work with data from the device sensors? These sorts of questions. If you want to make sure that your application runs on all your targeted OS versions and on different phones (i.e. screen sizes), that's what the emulator is for. A single developer phone can never offer that kind of flexibility.

Now, the only valid point would be someone developing a Gingerbread-only app right now and wants to do real world tests on a phone. But I doubt that any developer at the moment would be willing to limit its potential customer base so severely.

Third Google has two phones.

TWO phones.

Your point being? If you focus all your resources on one device, it doesn't matter if one device takes a back seat or ten.

The OS for the Nexus S or Nexus One is the same. It's not like their building a new OS for each phone. The only "stuff" that changes from phone to phone are specific hardware drivers.

"The only stuff". That almost sounds trivial. While it is true that most of the device-specific adaptations is in hardware drivers, that task is far from easy. I would assume that a small group of Google engineers could make Gingerbread run on the Nexus One over a long weekend. However, that is only the smaller part of the problem. After that, you need to test the thing, find bugs that crept in due to newer drivers, their interactions, changes in the kernel and what not. That is the hard part and the thing that takes the most time.

And believe me, those users that are now vocal about delaying Gingerbread for the Nexus One would be equally vocal about receiving a buggy Gingerbread or a general delay of Gingerbread to simultaneously release for the Nexus One and Nexus S. Whatever Google's choice, there will always be people who like to complain about them not getting what they think they deserve.

Imagine if Microsoft or other companies had to test every single device before releasing an OS update.

Actually, I am pretty sure that is exactly what they do. Not every single device, since the possible hardware combinations are astronomical, but a large number of machines which cover the most hardware scenarios. I am not sure if it was Microsoft, but I remember an article a while back about a software vendor with a sizeable amount of test computers, just to make sure that new updates don't blow up customers' computers.

And if you remember some of the cases of anti-virus updates killing computers and the bad press from that, you can see why a company can't afford such a publicity debacle and will invest money into these tests.

As I said in the previous post. I'll wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, I am also looking forward to running Gingerbread on my N1; I am just arguing why Google had good reasons to delay the release.

Regards,

lcg

I am frankly disappointed by google. I had hoped for me, with the purchase of a Nexus One always have the current ROM on my phone. 1 month after the presentation of Ginger Bread, should Google be able to ex/inport the 2.3 to the beatiful N1. I hope now that a CustomRom (AOSP) soon brings a stable version.

Looking forward to more news.

And if you buy a car, do you also expect the car company to backport the features from their latest model to the one you bought? And doing so before they even release the new model? For free?

Google will make Gingerbread available for the Nexus One. It's just not the top-most priority on their list. Can anybody imagine what would happen if Google were focusing on their current device and then a competitor announces a new device with much better specs. Everybody who now desperately wants Gingerbread on the Nexus One would turn on Google and say things like "ah, they were lazy", "too comfortable with their current device", "no longer an innovative company", blah.

Regards,

lcg

I was following your posts until the car analogy... A car cannot update its parts via OTA update... Totally different for an analogy like that...

Thanks for mentioning it ... What was I thinking?

You obviously didn't get the analogy, so let me explain: Developing new features costs money. Anti-lock brakes, ESP, ... cost a lot of development money. And somehow, car companies have the audacity to not retroactively equip their already sold cars with these new features. Yet a lot of people expect a phone manufacturer to invest the money to produce new firmware versions with new features for their phone. Strange, huh?

I am sorry, but people are really losing perspective in this thread. Being "disappointed" by Google, because the Nexus One didn't receive Gingerbread before any other phone? That's ridiculous. The Nexus One will receive a Gingerbread update (even though economically this isn't the most sensible thing to do), it just wasn't on top of the priority list.

I hope this clarifies things.

lcg

P.S.: BTW, modern cars can indeed receive software updates. Not OTA but ... details ...

Edited by Guest

Guest ScaredyCat
car companies have the audacity to not retroactively equip their already sold cars with these new features. Yet a lot of people expect a phone manufacturer to invest the money to produce new firmware versions with new features for their phone. Strange, huh?

Not really. Car manufacturers don't have their users beta test their products. That's what android is at the moment, a long beta test.

Once things settle down and the release rate slows then you could possibly use your analogy - even then it would still be dodgy. Modern electronics are basically shipped with beta software. The "ship it now fix it later" attitude has really taken hold, sadly. Aside from all that, your analogy involves hardware upgrades, we're only talking about software.

SC

Not really. Car manufacturers don't have their users beta test their products. That's what android is at the moment, a long beta test.

I am sorry you see it that way. I am very happy with Froyo and I would not lose any sleep if my phone would remain on Froyo forever. As for car manufacturers not beta testing in the field: what about manufacturers regularly calling new cars back to the shop during recent years? Have you missed those?

Aside from all that, your analogy involves hardware upgrades, we're only talking about software.

I am well aware that I exaggerated. I believe, however, that this is sometimes necessary to get people to think. Too much stuff on the Internet is simply blurted out too quickly, without thinking.

And of course new features on newer cars usually involves changing hardware. And that costs money, I know that. It doesn't mean that developing new software for any electronics device is for free, even though deployment of that new software may be cheap.

Anyway, I am well aware of the flaws of my analogy; it's an analogy, it's supposed to slightly differ from the original situation. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an analogy, it would be ... well, the same. Feel free to think that it doesn't fit the situation, I am not going to debate the validity of an analogy further.

My main point still stands, though, and that is the fact that it's funny how people seem to expect phone manufacturers to provide them with feature updates throughout the lifecycle of their device. For free. (And I am not talking about security updates here. All manufacturers should provide those, although I must admit that that is also often not the case. But that is a very different discussion.)

If it is really that important for people to receive the latest software for their device, I guess they could probably negotiate a service contract with the device manufacturer for regular updates during the time of the contract. But people might be surprised how expensive this is going to be. (And before anybody feels the need to point it out, I know that this is provocative; it is again just meant to provide some food for thought.)

lcg.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest dynames
My main point still stands, though, and that is the fact that it's funny how people seem to expect phone manufacturers to provide them with feature updates throughout the lifecycle of their device. For free. (And I am not talking about security updates here. All manufacturers should provide those, although I must admit that that is also often not the case. But that is a very different discussion.)

If it is really that important for people to receive the latest software for their device, I guess they could probably negotiate a service contract with the device manufacturer for regular updates during the time of the contract. But people might be surprised how expensive this is going to be. (And before anybody feels the need to point it out, I know that this is provocative; it is again just meant to provide some food for thought.)

lcg.

+1