A full guide to getting Android 2.2 on your phone for total newbs like me :)

Guest mistermentality

Guest mistermentality

With help from people on here, and with some reference from a very useful guide I found on another forum, I finally have 2.2 working sweet and the cpu over clocked.I have had a fair few problems so for those fellow newbs who dare to try it I shall post the guide along with my own added info on what to do if things go wrong.

The guide is from a forum post at the android forums,it is NOT my work, the added bits are mostly what I have found from browsing here and from asking questions. While I can't be held liable if you mess your phone up having done so myself I thought this could helpa few people and save them searching various threads for answers so hope it helps ;)

The guide

To install this ROM you need to have fastboot enabled on your phone. If you have Android 1.6/2.1 installed from LG, then fastboot is not enabled. I will explain how to enable fastboot on your phone (this involves re-flashing/replacing your currently installed firmware):

KDZ Updater CarphoneWarehouse Unlocked.zip - A link to a zip archive with all the files needed to flash to Android version 2.1 with fastboot (Carphone Warehouse Unlocked)

KDZ Updater Europe Open.zip - A link to a zip archive with all the files needed to flash toAndroid version 2.1 with fastboot (Europe Open)

Download the version that best applies to you, if you live in the UK, I'd recommend you download the Carphone Warehouse Unlocked version, whereas if you live in Europe, I'd recommend the Europe Open version (simple right? )

I live in the UK and used the open rom from Europe as the Carphone Warehouse rom would not install

Now, how to flash these versions; I'll explain in detail how to flash the ROM's from starting with backing up.

Instructions to install ROM with Fastboot:

1. Before you start, make sure you backup all your data by installing the z4root.1.3.0.apk file onto your phone, then open it and choose 'Permanent Root'. Your phone will root and reboot. Then go to the Market and install 'MyBackup Root', open it and do a backup of your apps and personal data (contacts, sms, call log etc.) Once this is done, go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage>Unmount SD Card, a notification in the notification bar should appear saying 'SD Card safe to remove'. Remove the battery cover and remove the SD card and store it in a safe place. Then continue to step 2.

2. Extract the .zip file you downloaded to your computer (e.g. your desktop). Open the folder and install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi).

3. Once that has finished, install LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver1.0_All_Win7.exe which are the drivers so your computer will recognize your phone.

4. Next, open KDZ_FW_UPD.exe

(i) Change 'Type' to '3GQCT' *THIS IS A MUST, THE UPDATE WILL NOT WORK OTHERWISE AND YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE*

(ii) Make sure 'PhoneMode' is set to 'DIAG'

(iii) Browse for the 'V20B_00+Fastboot.kdz' file.

5. Prepare the phone by enabling USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development>Enable USB Debugging and connect the phone to the computer via USB cable and wait for the drivers to install for the phone.

6. Click 'Launch software update' and do not use your computer until the update is complete. The update will take roughly 10-20 mins to complete.

If you have a problem with this try a different rom, this guide offers two to choose from.

Instructions to install CyanogenMod:

Once the update is complete, your phone will reboot, what you need to do is power off the phone and whilst the phone is off, press and hold the 'Camera' button all the way ANDpower on the phone, make sure you hold the 'Camera' button. The phone will display the LG logo and disappear, then display a blank screen. The phone is now in fastboot mode!

Now you want to download this file: Flashing CyanogenMod.zip and extract it to a folder called 'Android' (without the quotes '') on the C: drive (you'll probably need to make this folder yourself.

1. Now open CMD with administrator privileges (Search for CMD in the start menu and right click on 'cmd' and click 'Run as Administrator' )

2. Connect the phone to your computer via USB cable and wait for the necessary drivers to install.

If when connected with a usb cable the computer says "waiting for device" and nothing else happens try installing the fastboot drivers a helpful forum member posted and which are included as an attachment in this post. You can do this by going to the control panel of your pc, from the Windows start menu, opening the list of devices and where you see the one representing your phone (likely, as was the case with me, it will say android and have a yellow exclamation mark over it). Different versions of Windows do things slightly different but what you need to do is simply update the driver by choosing the icons properties box choosing UPDATE or INSTALL DRIVER and when asked pointing it to the folder where you unzipped the drivers.

3. Then go back to the cmd window and type:

Code:

cd C:\Android

(i) Then type:

Code:

fastboot.exe -w

(ii) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe erase system

(iii) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe flash system system.img

(iv) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img

(v) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe reboot

4. Your phone will now reboot with CyanogenMod 6.1.1 (Android 2.2.1). The first boot might take longer than a normal boot.

If your phone stays at a blank screen you simply forgot to do one of the above steps, in which case simply repeat them. It is likely if that happens that you simply forgot the flash boot image instruction.

5. You can now re-insert your SD card and go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage>Mount SD Card

Enjoy!

The instructions for flashing both the firmware with fastboot and flashing CyanogenMod are included in the zip archives called 'Readme'. I'll update the links so that you'll always have the most up to date version of CyanogenMod available for download, note that if you choose to update your phone you will loose all your data including apps etc. so backup before you update

And that, with a few comments added by myself, is the guide.

Once you have set your phone up the way you want power off your phone. Hold the HOME and POWER buttons down while the LG logo appears and you will see a menu appear on screen.

Using the volume down key to navigate the different menu choices, and the camera button to select an option choose the BACKUP OR RESTORE option and from the sub menu that it will give you choose BACKUP.

This will make a backup of your phone AND all your data, if you ever mess up an update or think you have damaged your phone in the future simply holdthe POWER and HOME buttons down and when the menu appears choose the RESTORE option :)

FastbootDrivers_LG_GT540.zip

thank you for this instructions but i am not from Europe (i am useing 2.1 baltic rom ), what is the KDZ updater can i use ?

and if you can support us by adding all needed links because there is alot of fastboot roms ;-)

Edited by moad81

Guest mistermentality

I only know of those roms, but I believe a search on the forums would find alternative ones if needed ;)

Regarding the updater you should be able to use it although I think I downloaded a package that had a Russian language updater if that would be more useful for you?

As for the guide well I didn't write the guide just the extra bits but am glad if it helps.

It's a good rom but it's not perfect, nothing deal breaking for me but currently having issues with usb storage mode (although it worked fine yesterday) and sd card not un mounting and if plugged in and charging phone cannot be switched off as it will reboot when connected to the pc.

But the speed improvements, ability to use setcpu to overclock the phone and ability to run apps from the sd card are brilliant. So if you choose to update please be aware that not everything is perfect yet.

Dave

Guest he6rt6gr6m

If this is Dave from Android Forums, then I followed his instructions to the letter this morning and it worked fine.

The one problem I still have is accessing Recovery Mode. It just doesn't appear. A black screen does, the same as the fastboot screen. I need that mode to appear to install the stock LG Keypad.

Also, as a side-note, there's been an update to the mod. Now at 4.4, according to XDA-Dev's.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10733288

Guest mistermentality
If this is Dave from Android Forums, then I followed his instructions to the letter this morning and it worked fine.

The one problem I still have is accessing Recovery Mode. It just doesn't appear. A black screen does, the same as the fastboot screen. I need that mode to appear to install the stock LG Keypad.

Also, as a side-note, there's been an update to the mod. Now at 4.4, according to XDA-Dev's.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10733288

No that's not me, I haven't joined the forums there yet as not often on my computer so only on here and occasionally at xda. I wouldn't want to take credit for any one elses work so thought I should point out it's a different Dave.

As for recovery mode, have you tried pressing (with phone off of course) POWER and HOME buttons as that is how I do it on my GT540

Dave

hi ive been following youre detailed guide and have run into problems.

1. tried both uk and europe open updater files as downloaded from the guide, uk guide on "begin software update" begins to unpack kdz file then returns "kdz file extract error" then "finished" immediately after.

2. i then tried europe open guide, am unable to find and post into the kdz file box "v20b_oo" kdz file. what does load into this box is "kdz updater europe open\europe open + fastboot" so used this and update seemed to work ok as far as im aware.

3. then moved onto cyanogenmod install and got all the way to "part v c:android fastboot. exe reboot", after entering this command screen shows "rebooting..." and the immeditely underneath "C:\Android_ "with the cursor flashing, it then stays like this. the phone shortly after shows the lg logo and then the cyanogenmod logo which alternates between this, a blank screen, and a screen that can only be described as similar to a tv screen that hasnt got a signal input (snowy type) for 3 cycles and then just becomes the snowy screen on for a few seconds then off for a few seconds and repeating.

after removing the battery i redid the entire process from start to finish with the same results.

what have i done wrong?

by the way i would class myself as computer illiterate so if you know the answer but need to explain it like i am a dunce i will not be offended.

please help!

Guest mistermentality
hi ive been following youre detailed guide and have run into problems.

1. tried both uk and europe open updater files as downloaded from the guide, uk guide on "begin software update" begins to unpack kdz file then returns "kdz file extract error" then "finished" immediately after.

2. i then tried europe open guide, am unable to find and post into the kdz file box "v20b_oo" kdz file. what does load into this box is "kdz updater europe open\europe open + fastboot" so used this and update seemed to work ok as far as im aware.

3. then moved onto cyanogenmod install and got all the way to "part v c:android fastboot. exe reboot", after entering this command screen shows "rebooting..." and the immeditely underneath "C:\Android_ "with the cursor flashing, it then stays like this. the phone shortly after shows the lg logo and then the cyanogenmod logo which alternates between this, a blank screen, and a screen that can only be described as similar to a tv screen that hasnt got a signal input (snowy type) for 3 cycles and then just becomes the snowy screen on for a few seconds then off for a few seconds and repeating.

after removing the battery i redid the entire process from start to finish with the same results.

what have i done wrong?

by the way i would class myself as computer illiterate so if you know the answer but need to explain it like i am a dunce i will not be offended.

please help!

It isn't my guide but dudeman1996's from the android forumswith a few bits added in case of problems but I shall try my best to help :lol:

I had the same kdz error with the UK rom so I used the open rom which worked fine for me. Never had a snowy screen, or heard of anyone who has, so cannot say what causes that but it does sound like somewhere the install of the kdz file went wrong. If you installed the rom safely to your phone and the kdz software on your pc did not return an error message then you should be fine to do the following as mentioned in the guide......

with phone off hold down the power and camera buttons, this will show an LG logo on screen then your screen will go blank.

In the command window type:

fastboot.exe -w

it will either tell you it is wiping data or it will say "waiting for device". If it is waiting for a device try installing the fastboot drivers from the zip attached at the start of this thread.

Once that command has completed, type:

and once that's completed, type:

When this is done type:

Each step takes between a few seconds to a few minutes, when the above command is completed type:

fastboot.exe reboot

It should then boot into the operating system.

You do of course as the guide says need the contents of the cyanogenmod zip file unpacked into the c:/android folder (not into a folder within that folder) and to run the command prompt for fastboot as an administrator. But you have already probably done that by the sound of it:)

Dave

It isn't my guide but dudeman1996's from the android forumswith a few bits added in case of problems but I shall try my best to help :lol:

I had the same kdz error with the UK rom so I used the open rom which worked fine for me. Never had a snowy screen, or heard of anyone who has, so cannot say what causes that but it does sound like somewhere the install of the kdz file went wrong. If you installed the rom safely to your phone and the kdz software on your pc did not return an error message then you should be fine to do the following as mentioned in the guide......

with phone off hold down the power and camera buttons, this will show an LG logo on screen then your screen will go blank.

In the command window type:

fastboot.exe -w

it will either tell you it is wiping data or it will say "waiting for device". If it is waiting for a device try installing the fastboot drivers from the zip attached at the start of this thread.

Once that command has completed, type:

and once that's completed, type:

When this is done type:

Each step takes between a few seconds to a few minutes, when the above command is completed type:

fastboot.exe reboot

It should then boot into the operating system.

You do of course as the guide says need the contents of the cyanogenmod zip file unpacked into the c:/android folder (not into a folder within that folder) and to run the command prompt for fastboot as an administrator. But you have already probably done that by the sound of it:)

Dave

thanks for your reply

tried again with same results.

incidentally when i type command fastboot.exe_w it produces a list of commands from update to reboot_bootloader (10 commands in all) then under that a list of options from w to i (vendor id) 5 in all and moves immediately back to c:\android _ (cursor flashing), it doesnt actually say wiping data or waiting for device either, is this normal?

Edited by ah43

Guest Sledziks

Thanks for the guide I'll try it in monday because now I don't have time :)

In the guide you said that using your files we will instal CyanogenMod 6.1.1 but on modaco forum is a newer version. Can you update your links?

Thanks in advance :lol:

Guest mistermentality
Thanks for the guide I'll try it in monday because now I don't have time :)

In the guide you said that using your files we will instal CyanogenMod 6.1.1 but on modaco forum is a newer version. Can you update your links?

Thanks in advance :lol:

It'snot my guide soI didn't post the roms and hence cannot update the links as I don't have the newest rom because I followed this guide and simply applied the two small zip updates mentioned in a different thread here somine is already updated but there are members on here may know of links to the more recent files. I would hate to update the cyanogenmod link and find it caused additional issues for someone as I couldn't help them with any advice because I use the roms from the guide.

Dave

Guest Sledziks
It'snot my guide soI didn't post the roms and hence cannot update the links as I don't have the newest rom because I followed this guide and simply applied the two small zip updates mentioned in a different thread here somine is already updated but there are members on here may know of links to the more recent files. I would hate to update the cyanogenmod link and find it caused additional issues for someone as I couldn't help them with any advice because I use the roms from the guide.

Dave

Ok I understand, anyway, thanks for your work :lol:

Guest mariussss

just updated to CyanogenMod 6.1.2. thanks for the tutorial man :lol: now i'm searching for an overclock kernel, wish me luck :)

EDIT: i just installed setcpu and i have the posibility to overclock to maximum 900mhz, of course i will not set it that high, i hope 787mhz will be stable for me.

Edited by mariussss

Guest sh0gunb0y
just updated to CyanogenMod 6.1.2. thanks for the tutorial man :lol: now i'm searching for an overclock kernel, wish me luck :)

EDIT: i just installed setcpu and i have the posibility to overclock to maximum 900mhz, of course i will not set it that high, i hope 787mhz will be stable for me.

where u get the 6.1.2 because i have 6.1.1 any link to download ?

Now you want to download this file: Flashing CyanogenMod.zip and extract it to a folder called 'Android' (without the quotes '') on the C: drive (you'll probably need to make this folder yourself.

Download this file.... which one???

where is the link?

Guest Code:Mafia

solved it using this guide :P

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-gt540/...here-gt540.html

need help! :D

1. Now open CMD with administrator privileges (Search for CMD in the start menu and right click on 'cmd' and click 'Run as Administrator' ) DONE

2. Connect the phone to your computer via USB cable and wait for the necessary drivers to install. DONE

and then for number 3. here's the error i encounter. (used the europe update cause the carphonewarehouse doesnt seem to work for me)

needhelp.jpg

Edited by Code:Mafia

Guest arvind92

all those ppl who are getting cyanogen mod logo along with a grainy snowy screen havnt typed this command properly

fastboot.exe -w

there is a space after the fastboot.exe..just thought it would help..