Can I use Desire Z in US with T-Zones $5.99 Internet?

Guest Lucavi

The T-mobile website is selling the HTC G2 for free if you renew your contract for another 2 years. The catch is that you must add an "Android Data Plan" for any Android phone once the phone actually arrives. At $25 a month for 2 years my free phone becomes $600, and I'm stuck paying for high speed internet for my home and my phone!

I've used an Omnia for the past 2 years with the T-Zones $5.99 data plan and have been totally satisfied with the speed. Windows Mobile on the other hand...::grumble::

According to forum posts around the internet if I use any T-Mobile (USA) branded Android device T-Mobile will eventually (after six hours or so) cut off the T-Zones and require me to use an Android plan or have just have no mobile internet (WiFi only).

I'm hoping that the Desire Z can be used with the T-Zones $5.99 Internet plan I already have. People use the iPhone with T-zones so I assumed it would work with the Desire Z. I just want to make sure I buy the one that is compatible with US EDGE/GPRS data connections.

According to the info from this link (/desire-z-modaco-package-now-available-to-pre-order-from-superetrader/) it is a Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz so it should work with T-mobile US EDGE Networks. However, it only lists Europ/Asia under Network HSPA/WCDMA. Also, I'm not sure if they'll ship to US.

This one, an unlocked Bell phone from Canada, lists 850/1900 under HSDPA. Is the Canadian one just US 3G/4G compatible? Would T-Mobile be likely to block it because it's not an unbranded phone?

Or are they just the same phone and I'm just dumb? I've been trying to research this so long my head is spinning. Regardless, has anyone already done what I want to do? Does it sound like it would work?

My grand plan is to renew my contract for 2 years, get the phone for free from the website, sell it brand new on eBay to someone who just wants to use it via WiFi networks (its going for $250-$300 US), use that money towards a purchase of an unbranded Desire Z for $500-$600 and keep my cheap and slow internet access. ;)

Thanks for any help. I'd imagine they're are many other potential Android users out there that would like to know as well.

Edited by Lucavi