Just arrived in Germany, keep getting text with Random number on it

Guest dwattsy21

Guest dwattsy21

Hi All,

A friend of mine has just arrived in Germany, but he keeps getting a text message popping up (keeps receiveing it every 5 minutes) with just the number 363611541327. He says that when he goes to look in his messages, it is not there. To me it seems like it must be a setting that is being sent to his phone or something, but he has turned his phone off and on and it is still doing it. I've googled it and can't find anything. Any idea how to make it stop, as his phone is just constantly going off recieving this message!

Cheers,

dave

Guest yonisan

Hi,

When visiting Berlin in September I had the same thing happening to my Desire.

These numbers appeared every few hours, not constantly.

Maybe its a roaming related thing along with a specific carrier....

It was very annoying

Guest FlowAlex

Hello,

I am a customer of O2 Germany using a Desire. In the beginning i had this messages too. Since i bought my phone directly from O2 i asked them what kind of messages these are.

The answer: the submitted number is the unique ID of the cell you are currently being logged in. If you change your location, your phone will automatically change between these cells, so yo will receive a new ID everytime. The cell IDs are used for a service called 'Homezone' for example. Probably these IDs will not be transmitted in all networks.

On the hotline they described me how to disable this behavior: go to the phone settings, choose call settings (the third entry), then you have an option which sounds something like short messages or so which is activated by default (should be the sixth entry). This option has nothing to do with the receiving or sending of SMS. Deactivate this option and you will not receive the ID messages in future (they will not be displayed). I've noticed that sometimes after a reboot this option is restored to on (i don't know why). Just switch off and everything is fine.

I have configured my phone to german language (why not ;) ), so i don't know the exact titles of the menu items. I tried to translate it in english, hopefully they fit.

If you have trouble finding the necessary entries tell me so i will switch my phone to the english language and then i can find it out.

Greetz

FlowAlex

Guest Han-Droid

it's called "cell broadcast" (CB) - on the german handset it says:

"Kurznachricht - Empfang von CB-Nachrichten deaktivieren" the box should be UN-CHECKED to avoid receiving these strange numbers.