[HOW-TO] Remotely control your Vega from a PC

Guest Sir Gash

Guest Sir Gash

As this question has been asked in many threads, I thought I would start a new topic. None of the usual screencasting, screenshot or remote control apps such as ShootMe, PicMe, droid VNC Server etc. work on the Vega but I finally found one that does.

It is a PC app called Droid Explorer, it is a bit like Android Commander but has many more options. You can get it here:

http://de.codeplex.com/releases/view/50997

Install it on your PC and it will also download the required Android SDK files. Connect your Vega to your PC via USB and Droid Explorer should now see it when launched. Then click the 'Android guy' icon on the toolbar (or click Tools > Plugins > Screencast). You do not need to install anything on the Vega, just ensure USB Debugging is enabled (Settings > Applications > Development).

It is very slow as it is just doing screen captures like DDMS without any compression but it works well enough to remotely control your Vega. You also have full mouse and keyboard control and a toolbar at the bottom has shortcuts to the hardware buttons like Home, Back and Menu.

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: An alternative is to use AndroidScreenCast. Thanks to ptbw for linking to it and providing a video (sorry, missed your post the first time round). Details are here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...e/#entry1546174

Edited by Sir Gash

Guest Sir Gash

Because you can!

Seriously though, I find it more convenient whilst at work when I have the Vega 'docked' to control it via the PC. For example, to install and try multiple apps or when there is a lot of typing involved such as filling in registration forms within apps etc..

I am also working on a way to disable/toggle the backlight completely (due to the fact that Wi-Fi is dropped in standby) so with this tool you can keep an eye on what the Vega is doing when the screen is off, for example doing large file transfers or downloads.

Ideally, I would prefer it if droid VNC Server worked fully so I could use my mobile phone to control the Vega. This would be especially useful to control the Vega when it is plugged into your TV via HDMI. At the moment you just get a blank screen (on the mobile/VNC client) but it does sort of work. You just have to guess at what you are pressing but the keyboard works nicely. I suppose if you could somehow get a mouse pointer to appear on the Vega whilst remoted in it could actually be quite usable.

Guest Sir Gash
I posted about screencast here http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1546174 #18

I also posted a short video. It is slow 4fps but it might be good for presentatations etc.

See what you think.

Cool! I think I'll download that instead as Droid Explorer is a bit flaky at times and doesn't work well on some of my PC's and VMWare images.

Cheers!

Guest shutdown

what i want is to be able to control my mac from the vega.

a nice large multi-touch pad :lol:

can then plug mac mini into tv and watch my films or browse

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AndiTails
Nice find Sir Gash but out of interest can you give us some examples why people might want to use this interface on a practical basis? :P

Just to add to this thread an excellent reason why:

This morning my Vega's touchscreen calibration seemed to go crazy.

I can only click on the far right of the screen.

I can't change from USB slave to Master mode to use a mouse (icon typically middle of screen so can't 'touch' it).

Can't get to the Screen Calibration utility either (again, not in a touchable place of the mis-aligned screen).

Restoring from backup does nothing.

I don't have Screencast app installed.

Tried the older method of flashing the host.img and rebooting to make USB host mode work. Vega then failed to boot. Recovery again.. :D

In the end, DroidExplorer to the rescue!

Installed, clicked on Screen Calibration - and back in business!

Ok, not regular usage - but a life saver!

Edited by AndiTails