Custom bootanimation.zip - What am I missing?

Guest adeng7

I'm trying to make a custom bootanimation.zip for the blade, I've searched around the forum and the web and this is the closest I have got to a tutorial…

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hac...-explained.html

Sounds simple, just folders, a text file, and a load of pngs in a zip.

Unfortunately I have tried this and it doesn't work for me, is there something I'm missing? Should the PNGs be a certain format? Should the zip be a certain format? Should the zip be signed for the ROM (Pauls r11)?

I've tried creating PNGs with different settings in both Photoshop and Gimp and using different zip software, even tried on Ubuntu and Mac (not Windose yet as I haven't touch my xp laptop in years and would rather not use that virus magnet of an OS). All I get is a black screen for a few secs after the green android.

I'm a total newbee at all this android stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Guest Qwertzycoatl
I'm trying to make a custom bootanimation.zip for the blade, I've searched around the forum and the web and this is the closest I have got to a tutorial…

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hac...-explained.html

Sounds simple, just folders, a text file, and a load of pngs in a zip.

Unfortunately I have tried this and it doesn't work for me, is there something I'm missing? Should the PNGs be a certain format? Should the zip be a certain format? Should the zip be signed for the ROM (Pauls r11)?

I've tried creating PNGs with different settings in both Photoshop and Gimp and using different zip software, even tried on Ubuntu and Mac (not Windose yet as I haven't touch my xp laptop in years and would rather not use that virus magnet of an OS). All I get is a black screen for a few secs after the green android.

I'm a total newbee at all this android stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

From what I remember you need to add the files to a zip int eh store method.

Best thing to do is download a pre-authored bootanimation (or take the one from the phone's rom) and edit that one, making sure to overwrite the files and use the store method :lol:

As a test, you could download one of the forum and flash it as is and see if that works.....I replaced the standard with the Droid boot animation and it works fine.

From what I remember you need to add the files to a zip int eh store method.

Best thing to do is download a pre-authored bootanimation (or take the one from the phone's rom) and edit that one, making sure to overwrite the files and use the store method :lol:

As a test, you could download one of the forum and flash it as is and see if that works.....I replaced the standard with the Droid boot animation and it works fine.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a try later and see how it goes. Appreciated

All you do is sort out the files (animation you want)

make SURE you dont edit or write the desc.txt with notepad, use textpad or some other program that can save files in UNIX file format

Also make sure you pressed enter after the last thing in the file, as if you were about to start a new line

Then zip it up it can be stored or compressed as normal whichever you want

It does not need to be signed or anything.

Then put it in /system/media

I know that works for 2.2 roms

For 2.1 I'm not sure if it will work or not, the original bootamination was embedded in the framework-res.apk, I can tell you how to modify that if needed

Actually I already did for someone a while back

From what I remember you need to add the files to a zip in the store method.

make SURE you dont edit or write the desc.txt with notepad, use textpad or some other program that can save files in UNIX file format

Thanks for the help, editing the desc.txt was partly to blame for this not working for me.

I think the zip also needs to created without compression (as Qwertzycoatl stated). It wouldn't work when created as a standard zip, and I figured out how to do it in Linux without using 7zip (or windose).

If anyone else is having the same problem as me use the following.

cd to the bootanimation folder

zip -rn .txt:.png bootanimation part0 part1 desc.txt

This will add the folders and text file to a zip without any compression (stored)

Oooh! Thanks for that. I'd tried and failed several weeks ago to get my custom boot animation to work out. This was all I was missing -- I'd used the some other parameter which LOOKED like it was storing it, but evidently wasn't doing it properly. All working now, and ... damn, my phone is sexy!

Guest Phoenix Silver
Thanks for the help, editing the desc.txt was partly to blame for this not working for me.

I think the zip also needs to created without compression (as Qwertzycoatl stated). It wouldn't work when created as a standard zip, and I figured out how to do it in Linux without using 7zip (or windose).

If anyone else is having the same problem as me use the following.

cd to the bootanimation folder

This will add the folders and text file to a zip without any compression (stored)

you can add 0 (zero) for store only

zip -rn0