I want an app for...

Guest Frankish

Guest mario999

So many great apps....

Gentle Alarm - Use it every day.

Tap dialer - for quick number calling.

Swiftkey keyboard - for quick text input

Root system font installer - For changing all the fonts on your phone easily.

Launcher Pro - No explanation needed.

TuneIn Radio - Great web radio, lots of stations.

AtomaRSS - Transparent, scrollable RSS widgt.

Guest Salsaholic

Luv this thread! :lol:

QuickPic and AtomaRSS are great finds, thanks for these!

Here some of mine:

AppWidgetPicker - folds widgets of same type /app into one entry, offering a submenu for choosing the size (hope the link is ok here...)

Data counter widget - keep an eye on your traffic

ES File Explorer - very easy access to network drives

K9mail - mail client with IMAP and idle push (was crashing all over under 2.1, now fine on 2.2 (JJ6))

c:geo for geocaching (not used a lot yet)

2player - remote-control DLNA devices. A bit shaky (some Fc's), but I love to control TwonkyMedia & Noxon iRadio with this, seeing what is plaing (incl. cover art) on my phone

smooth calendar (quite simple but compact & nice calendar widget, just shows next 3 items)

Edited by Salsaholic

Guest ezablade

Calendar Pad & QuickPic look good...

Anyone found a decent Contacts app? The stock is well, functional and a little boring. Something with some style?

Guest WinterWonderland

Tried autostarts but stuff i disable keeps running again (contacts and download manager) even though i kill the tasks and dont use either afterward!

All this crap running in the background annoys me, the thought of it draining life from the battery for no reason

Any apps that can kill them once and for all ?

Guest BunnyPunch
advanced task killer

Task killers are a wee bit controversial - I was using one prior to reading this article - http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task...ouldnt-use-them

Each to their own, of course, and apparently they still have a place when you have a rogue/badly coded app that's misbehaving. I can't say I noticed a particular boost in performance/battery life when using ATK, and I haven't noticed any issues since I stopped using it.

QuickPic is an *awesome* app, thank you to the OP for that - the stock app always seemed sluggish as all hell and it's nice to have something basic that's speedy.

Guest Rotmann
Tried autostarts but stuff i disable keeps running again (contacts and download manager) even though i kill the tasks and dont use either afterward!

All this crap running in the background annoys me, the thought of it draining life from the battery for no reason

Any apps that can kill them once and for all ?

advanced task killer

These are system apps and they are meant to remain in memory, the apps are hibernating and are not draining any battery. This helps opening them really fast and eliminates much processing power instead of opening them fully. You should really read the lifehacker article to understand how android multitasking works and why you should not use aggressive task killers.

@ezabblade - how about youlu?

Found this today. It's an app which supervises if apps are doing something they should not do (like GPS enable to track you, contact-mail reading and so on) and makes reports on this, more like a privacy supervisor.

Also SoftKeys got updated today, onscreen buttons but more customizable than buttons savior, you have to read the instructions and the settings are a little complicated but once set up, it's brilliant.

Thanks for QuickPic and AtomaRSS, great ones.

Guest Phoenix Silver
These are system apps and they are meant to remain in memory, the apps are hibernating and are not draining any battery. This helps opening them really fast and eliminates much processing power instead of opening them fully. You should really read the lifehacker article to understand how android multitasking works and why you should not use aggressive task killers.

@ezabblade - how about youlu?

Found this today. It's an app which supervises if apps are doing something they should not do (like GPS enable to track you, contact-mail reading and so on) and makes reports on this, more like a privacy supervisor.

Also SoftKeys got updated today, onscreen buttons but more customizable than buttons savior, you have to read the instructions and the settings are a little complicated but once set up, it's brilliant.

Thanks for QuickPic and AtomaRSS, great ones.

advanced task killer has many levels to do this

by default system apps are ignored in low level

alarm clock is ignored by default

there are a manual and automatic mode anyway

Calendar Pad (Pro):

Features:

- Month, Week and Day views.

- Today, Month, Week and Day widgets.

- (Pro only) Color customization.

- (Pro only) Calendar settings.

i dont know the extra setting. i only use the free version. sorry

For all that (and more) I use Jorte (free) : http://www.jorte.net/english/jorte.html

The only downside I found up to now is that you need to use Google Calendar in order to have support for recurrent items.

Guest BR_Rask

I don't know if anyone have said it but i just found subsonic. Its really a program for your desktop but it has an android app. It lets you access (stream and/or sync) your music from any computer and your phone.

I want an app for waking up from sleep(talking about the phone) by pressing any hardware key. The power key on my friend's blade is kind of bust.

PS: I have tried widget locker and it doesn't seem to work for any of the blades that me and my friends own. Myabe an issue with permissions.

Edited by madnav

I want an app for waking up from sleep(talking about the phone) by pressing any hardware key. The power key on my friend's blade is kind of bust.

PS: I have tried widget locker and it doesn't seem to work for any of the blades that me and my friends own. Myabe an issue with permissions.

You can do this with mylock....works very well but I think only on the paid version

Guest wiffeltje
You can do this with mylock....works very well but I think only on the paid version

'SoftLocker Free' will enable that too.

But, be warned ... All these applications will keep the phone from going into deep sleep mode. This will also deplete the battery a lot faster.

For instance, it will also keep the wifi up-and-running all the time. I do like that aspect, since it allows mail checks while the screen is turned off, but it also burns a lot of battery power.

Guest Rotmann
is someone know a video recorder for the phone ?

i mean like a screen shot app reccord all what is displayed in the phone

should be very useful for guides instead of film the phone

ShootMe does this in the new version.

Guest Ralph Martin

Recommendations:

Train times: DB Navigator (yes, by German railways, but works well for all of Europe, including UK)

GPS: GPS Status (shows position, satellites)

Maps: OS Atlas Lite (alternative to the Google Maps world view, gives OS GB grid references)

Dictionary: ColorDict with Wordnet dictionary

Calculator: handyCalc (can solve equations etc)

VoIP: Linphone (need to have a VoIP account with some provider to use it, then can make calls over data BUT uses speaker)

Chinese: Hanping CE - great English / Chinese dictionary, can enter Chinese in pinyin

Want:

A spreadsheet (or database) application which can handle a simple Excel file

(or CSV etc, just containing text data, no formulae) with about 10 columns and 3000 rows, which

- doesn't run out of memory opening the file

- allows me to edit and save the file

- allows me to sort the file on any column

and is generally easy to use. None of the obvious ones tick ALL of the above boxes.

Guest The Soup Thief
ShootMe does this in the new version.

Have you managed to get Shootme to record video on the blade?

Appbrain says it will do this on higher spec phones, but doesn't give clues as to which

I can get still frames (upside down, unfortunately due to the phone's upside down screen presumably) but even switching down the framerate and image quality to minimum and recording as mpeg4 and stills as jpeg rather than as less compressed formats. tried on other less compressed formats too, wondering if the compression was levying too great a demand on the phone's processor, but still to no avail

Any suggestions?

root explorer is the best file manager especially when you use system apps

[blah blah image]

drocap2 is an excellent app to take screen-shots

do you know a simple app just to flip the pictures taken by screen-shots ?

Photoshop Express is brilliant for this stuff. I like the way that you rotate the picture as well, by manually doing it with your finger. Never gets old.

*ahem* That is not a line to be taken out of context.

I want an app that gives me a Twitter widget which has a transparent background.

Like TypoClock or Extended Controls.

Guest BunnyPunch
Photoshop Express is brilliant for this stuff. I like the way that you rotate the picture as well, by manually doing it with your finger. Never gets old.

*ahem* That is not a line to be taken out of context.

I want an app that gives me a Twitter widget which has a transparent background.

Like TypoClock or Extended Controls.

LMAO

Re: Twitter - I'm not a twitter user but I notice the LauncherPro reference in your sig - the twitter client in the paid for version is meant to be quite good. I know that over in the xda forums someone has done a transparent minimal skin for LP Plus.

Guest Rotmann
Have you managed to get Shootme to record video on the blade?

Have tried it now, did not manage it. From androidpolice.com :

Start the app and click on the top right corner, then pick Screencast. Alternatively, press Menu when you’re on that Start/Stop screen, go to Preferences, and change it there.

From what I can tell, recording currently starts immediately and stops when you go back to the app and stop it. I hope a better interface is in the works.

Guest Kuteguy

Hi,

I am looking for an app that will..

record incoming and outgoing phonecalls on the blade (2-way) without going in to speker phone

it should auto-record and auto name the files (ideally to SD card)

any recommendation?

Thanks

___

found it myself

for anyone else looking

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ecording-calls/

Edited by Kuteguy