for devs

Guest Phoenix Silver

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sebastian404
i'm beginning with eclipse

but i'm a little lost on one point

how do you generate the build.xml for ant ?

Eclipse is horrid, there are lots of better IDE's out there... but its free and it works..

you have to create the build.xml yourself... google around, steal someone else's and modify it to work for you

Guest t0mm13b
Eclipse is horrid, there are lots of better IDE's out there... but its free and it works..

you have to create the build.xml yourself... google around, steal someone else's and modify it to work for you

I could not agree more in that respect to Eclipse - slow, hoggish and horrible....

To generate the build.xml you need to do the following:

android -update project path

See here for more details...

I am toying with Ant and using that to build the project, and using EditPad Lite and basically use the command line to do the build ... much quicker and faster than Eclipse which has a tendency to kill the netbook and stall it!

Edit:

For the benefit of those who stumbled into a problem with Ant, and building the source from command line, apparently, the build will fail when the ant executes the dex on the generated code and fail if there's whitespaces in the path used. Look at this StackOverflow question which I answered, to be fair - I found it a blog on the interwebz. The credit goes to the dude in the linky to the blog contained in my answer to this problem.

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest chozabu

Eclipse is kinda slow and resource hungry - but I think its rather good!

Jam packed with features, well intergrated with android (not so well with my blade though it seems).

ctrl+space auto completes btw :P

Guest Phoenix Silver

i just beginning but what i have seen

eclipse is good to start the project

for the skeleton

after that it seems faster to use nano for the details

Guest Phoenix Silver

have you some examples of better IDE ??