Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest DerArtem

I got a Smartbook Surfer 360 MN10U Tablet - I think that it's the same like the Vega.

Now a stupid question: where is the mini USB port? I it only on the docking station?

Guest Dave Marchant

Vega does not have mini-USB, not even on the docking station. PC connection is through a USB-A to USB-A lead (large USB connectors on both ends). They are fairly standard to buy from third-party dealers.

Guest MikhailM

I got a Smartbook Surfer 360 MN10U Tablet - I think that it's the same like the Vega.

Now a stupid question: where is the mini USB port? I it only on the docking station?

DerArtem, you should have been supplied with a full USB A to Full USB A cable with your tablet. If you do not have one you can get it on ebay or from a good computer shop.

Guest stane1983

Looking at those logs, seems the ril is working properly. It is attempting to create a ppp connection to your ISP:

D/RIL ( 95): Trying to setup PPP connnection...

D/AT ( 95): AT(18)> ATD*99***1#

I/AT ( 95): AT(18)< CONNECT

D/RIL ( 95): Starting pppd w/command line: '/system/bin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 crtscts modem linkname ril1 user dummy password dummy defaultroute usepeerdns noipdefault novj novjccomp nobsdcomp ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local dump debug lcp-echo-failure 0 lcp-echo-interval 0 ipcp-max-configure 30 ipcp-max-failure 30 ipcp-max-terminate 10'

D/RIL ( 95): Waiting until net ifc ppp0 is up

E/RIL ( 95): Net ifc ppp0 was never upped!

And, it eventually fails. Please, check your logcat (main logcat) to see why the pppd daemon is failing to setup a working connection ... probably you are missing to suid-root the pppd daemon...

Hi again,

suid-root was not the problem. Parsing of pppd logs in ril was the problem (Amlogic pppd do have some extra output into logs so parsing logs for local/remote and dns addresses was not good - that part is solved now). Now connection is up (can be seen on USB dongle (LED indicating 3g link is up) and in logs), but ppp connection status is not forwarded to Android itself and within Android 3g is not useable. Under about, status it reports that data is up but no ip address available and no 3g/E/H on service indicator. Old ril (DerArtem's repo libhuaweigeneric-ril_old works for 3g, but does not work for voice/text receive...). I will digg little more but if someone have some idea it would be great :)

Regards

Guest ejtagle

Hi again,

suid-root was not the problem. Parsing of pppd logs in ril was the problem (Amlogic pppd do have some extra output into logs so parsing logs for local/remote and dns addresses was not good - that part is solved now). Now connection is up (can be seen on USB dongle (LED indicating 3g link is up) and in logs), but ppp connection status is not forwarded to Android itself and within Android 3g is not useable. Under about, status it reports that data is up but no ip address available and no 3g/E/H on service indicator. Old ril (DerArtem's repo libhuaweigeneric-ril_old works for 3g, but does not work for voice/text receive...). I will digg little more but if someone have some idea it would be great :)

Regards

Seems something is still missing in the log parsing. The RIL should get the local and remote IP from the log and forward them to android. That is the only required thing.. Make sure of that ;)

Edited by ejtagle

Guest ejtagle

Hi, Ejtagle,

Do you know if one needs to disable ril in Beta 6 on a Vega without an inbuilt modem. I get a message "sim changed" when I boot up the Vega, although there is no modem and no sim installed. I am wondering if the OS is continuiously trying to find the modem/sim and that explains the high battery usage?

Should not be required, but you are right. The RIL starts polling for the port every 5 seconds. It would be better to start the RIL only if a 3G modem is present. And, it is a very simple thing to do.

You need to modify the init.shuttle.rc, and add the following section

# When a 3G modem is plugged in or removed, reinit RIL ... Otherwise, improper tty names are generated, as port is still in use by RIL...

on device-added-/dev/ttyUSB0

start ril-daemon

on device-added-/dev/ttyUSB1

start ril-daemon

on device-added-/dev/ttyUSB2

start ril-daemon

on device-removed-/dev/ttyUSB0

stop ril-daemon

on device-removed-/dev/ttyUSB1

stop ril-daemon

on device-removed-/dev/ttyUSB2

stop ril-daemon

So,when you disable the 3G modem, the RIL is stopped, and when you reenable it, it is restarted ;)

Hello,

I have also buyed an used MN10U. I immediately flashed it to latest JellyBean ROM available (JellyBean v6 Image).

But there is no option to overclock the Tegra CPU?

Is there any kernel out which supports OC the CPU? When not is it already in development?

Thank you!

Guest MikhailM

Should not be required, but you are right. The RIL starts polling for the port every 5 seconds. It would be better to start the RIL only if a 3G modem is present. And, it is a very simple thing to do.

So,when you disable the 3G modem, the RIL is stopped, and when you reenable it, it is restarted ;)

Thank you, Ejtagle, for the reply and advice. I do not use any type of 3G modem with my Vega, so presumably I just need to add "stop ril daemon"?

Has been added to the ramdisk. However the ril is still started at boot time, so i guess the init entry for the ril needs to be disabled so it is not automatically started.

Guest stane1983

Hi,

3g works on Amlogic ICS sources, but buggy.

init.rc pppd_gprs service definition:

service pppd_gprs /system/etc/ppp/init.gprs-pppd

user root

group radio net_admin cache inet misc

disabled

oneshot
init.gprs-pppd script:

#!/system/bin/sh

# An unforunate wrapper script

# so that the exit code of pppd may be retrieved

# this is a workaround for issue #651747

#trap "/system/bin/sleep 1;exit 0" TERM

export PATH=/system/bin

PPPD_PID=

setprop "net.gprs.ppp-exit" ""

log -t pppd "Starting pppd"

pppd $*

PPPD_EXIT=$?

PPPD_PID=$!

log -t pppd "pppd exited with $PPPD_EXIT"

setprop "net.gprs.ppp-exit" "$PPPD_EXIT"
ip-up:

#!/system/bin/sh

export PATH=/system/bin

case $1 in

ppp1)

iptables --flush;

iptables --table nat --flush;

iptables --delete-chain;

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface ppp0 -j MASQUERADE;

iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface ppp1 -j ACCEPT;

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward;

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward;

;;

ppp0)

setprop "net.interfaces.defaultroute" "gprs"

;;

esac

# Use interface name if linkname is not available

NAME=${LINKNAME:-"$1"}

setprop "net.dns1" "$DNS1"

setprop "net.dns2" "$DNS2"

setprop "net.$NAME.local-ip" "$IPLOCAL"

setprop "net.$NAME.remote-ip" "$IPREMOTE"

ip-down:

#!/system/bin/sh

export PATH=/system/bin

case $1 in

ppp1)

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward;

;;

esac

# Use interface name if linkname is not available

NAME=${LINKNAME:-"$1"}

setprop "net.dns1" ""

setprop "net.dns2" ""

setprop "net.$NAME.local-ip" "$IPLOCAL"

setprop "net.$NAME.remote-ip" "$IPREMOTE"

Behaviour: ppp connects, ip address visible in settings, about, status, data connection type is unknown, 3G/H/E indicator not shown but connection works. In some cases (random), Android loses connectivity, IP address no longer visible (unknown) and of course connection is dropped (in android). 3g dongle still indicating that data connection is up. Solution is to switch to airplane mode and back or to re-plug 3g dongle.

Edited by stane1983

Guest fosser2

ejtagle,

Sorry to derail the current conversation. We're still having issues w/ HD video on our 3.1 kernel. All our avp code is the same as what scanno has on his git. I'm looking back through clocks and this is what you guys have active.

{ "uartd", "pll_p", 216000000, true },

{ "i2s1", "pll_a_out0", 0, false},

{ "i2s2", "pll_a_out0", 0, false},

{ "spdif_out", "pll_a_out0", 0, false},

{ "sdmmc1", "clk_m", 48000000, true },

{ "sdmmc2", "clk_m", 48000000, true },

{ "sdmmc4", "clk_m", 48000000, true },

{ "ndflash", "pll_p", 108000000, true },

{ "pwm", "clk_m", 12000000, false},

{ "usbd", "clk_m", 12000000, true }, /* fsl-tegra-udc , utmip-pad , tegra_ehci.0 , tegra_otg - we need this to be always on to always get hotplug events */

{ "usb2", "clk_m", 12000000, false}, /* tegra_ehci.1 - Really unused*/

{ "usb3", "clk_m", 12000000, true }, /* tegra_ehci.2 - we need this to be always on to always get hotplug events */

{ "i2c1", "clk_m", 800000, false}, /* tegra-i2c.0 */

{ "i2c2", "clk_m", 315789, false}, /* tegra-i2c.1 */

{ "i2c3", "clk_m", 800000, false}, /* tegra-i2c.2 */

{ "dvc", "clk_m", 2400000, false}, /* tegra-i2c.3 */

{ NULL, NULL, 0, 0},
This is what we are using right now:

{ "cdev1", NULL, 0, true },

{ "blink", "clk_32k", 32768, false},

{ "pll_p_out4", "pll_p", 24000000, true },

{ "pwm", "clk_32k", 32768, false},

{ NULL, NULL, 0, 0},

I'm wondering if I'm missing something important that has to do with the video decoding. Thank you for the help.

-fosser2

Guest ejtagle

ejtagle,

Sorry to derail the current conversation. We're still having issues w/ HD video on our 3.1 kernel. All our avp code is the same as what scanno has on his git. I'm looking back through clocks and this is what you guys have active.

{ "uartd", "pll_p", 216000000, true },

{ "sdmmc1", "clk_m", 48000000, true },

{ "sdmmc2", "clk_m", 48000000, true },

{ "sdmmc4", "clk_m", 48000000, true },

{ "ndflash", "pll_p", 108000000, true },

{ "pwm", "clk_m", 12000000, false},

{ "usbd", "clk_m", 12000000, true }, /* fsl-tegra-udc , utmip-pad , tegra_ehci.0 , tegra_otg - we need this to be always on to always get hotplug events */

{ "usb2", "clk_m", 12000000, false}, /* tegra_ehci.1 - Really unused*/

{ "usb3", "clk_m", 12000000, true }, /* tegra_ehci.2 - we need this to be always on to always get hotplug events */

{ "i2c1", "clk_m", 800000, false}, /* tegra-i2c.0 */

{ "i2c2", "clk_m", 315789, false}, /* tegra-i2c.1 */

{ "i2c3", "clk_m", 800000, false}, /* tegra-i2c.2 */

{ "dvc", "clk_m", 2400000, false}, /* tegra-i2c.3 */

{ NULL, NULL, 0, 0},
This is what we are using right now:

{ "cdev1", NULL, 0, true },

{ "blink", "clk_32k", 32768, false},

{ "pll_p_out4", "pll_p", 24000000, true },

{ "pwm", "clk_32k", 32768, false},

{ NULL, NULL, 0, 0},

I'm wondering if I'm missing something important that has to do with the video decoding. Thank you for the help.

-fosser2

Clocks seems to be ok. Neither on our table, nor in yours, there is any reference to avp ... Be sure the problem is not memory related.. (gpu memory, i mean..)

Hello,

I have also buyed an used MN10U. I immediately flashed it to latest JellyBean ROM available (JellyBean v6 Image).

But there is no option to overclock the Tegra CPU?

Is there any kernel out which supports OC the CPU? When not is it already in development?

Thank you!

Answers please ...

Guest fosser2

Clocks seems to be ok. Neither on our table, nor in yours, there is any reference to avp ... Be sure the problem is not memory related.. (gpu memory, i mean..)

Ejtagle,

Here is a pastebin of our HD decoder crashing. As far as I can tell our GPU memory has been alocated the same as the Vega's. Here is a snippit.

// SMBA1002 memory is 1xSZ_512M

#define SMBA1002_MEM_SIZE SZ_512M /* Total memory */

#define SMBA1002_MEM_BANKS 1

#define SMBA1002_GPU_MEM_SIZE SZ_128M /* Memory reserved for GPU */

#define SMBA1002_FB1_MEM_SIZE SZ_8M /* Memory reserved for Framebuffer 1: LCD */

#define SMBA1002_FB2_MEM_SIZE SZ_16M /* Memory reserved for Framebuffer 2: HDMI out */

#define DYNAMIC_GPU_MEM 1 /* use dynamic memory for GPU */

I also diffed our avp files and they are both stock 3.1 from NVIDIA. Do you have any other insite on what we're missing? Thank you in advance.

PS: here is a link to the git

Also, I'm looking for a recent copy of the shuttle def_config. Do you know where I can find that?

Edited by fosser2

Not that im aware of...

But the source code of the kernel is bublished. Why isn´t it possible to add OC functionality?

Edited by king0r

But the source code of the kernel is bublished. Why isn´t it possible to add OC functionality?

Of course its possible, just no one is interested in doing it or at least has been interested in doing it ... Until this point stability was key and way more important than a few extra mhz.. undervolting is probably much more interesting...

Guest ejtagle

Of course its possible, just no one is interested in doing it or at least has been interested in doing it ... Until this point stability was key and way more important than a few extra mhz.. undervolting is probably much more interesting...

The answer is easy: We still have some stability issues. There are tablets that show strange behaviours. We don't want to add another cause of troubles here. And, just to be honest, i consider adding overclocking to the tegra2 kernel a bad idea. There is no cpu temperature sensor on the P10AN01. You can easily fry your tablet... There is no provision for evacuating the extra heat generated by the overclocked chipset. Look on this same thread for an extra detailed explanation on why we chose not to implement OC as a default, why it should not be offered to people that are unaware of the implications of overclocking (read: If abused, you WILL BURN your tablet! ...) ..

Regards,

Eduardo

Guest ejtagle

Ejtagle,

Here is a pastebin of our HD decoder crashing. As far as I can tell our GPU memory has been alocated the same as the Vega's. Here is a snippit.

// SMBA1002 memory is 1xSZ_512M

#define SMBA1002_MEM_SIZE SZ_512M /* Total memory */

#define SMBA1002_MEM_BANKS 1

#define SMBA1002_GPU_MEM_SIZE SZ_128M /* Memory reserved for GPU */

#define SMBA1002_FB1_MEM_SIZE SZ_8M /* Memory reserved for Framebuffer 1: LCD */

#define SMBA1002_FB2_MEM_SIZE SZ_16M /* Memory reserved for Framebuffer 2: HDMI out */

#define DYNAMIC_GPU_MEM 1 /* use dynamic memory for GPU */

I also diffed our avp files and they are both stock 3.1 from NVIDIA. Do you have any other insite on what we're missing? Thank you in advance.

PS: here is a link to the git

Also, I'm looking for a recent copy of the shuttle def_config. Do you know where I can find that?

<6>[ 121.259746] avp_node_try_connect: got conn ack 'daaaaaaa+' (cf8c6d40 <-> 11aba8)

<3>[ 121.268375] avp_svc: can't allocate for handle 0xcf8bb460 (-12)

Seems to be a GPU out of memory problem... You could use our latest def_config, or use the one i posted for the DVC10, that should give you a very good base to start with... ;)

Edited by ejtagle

Guest MikhailM

Answers please ...

You have to choose - latest rom, or OC. If overclocking is what you want, you can use Corvus, which I tihnk overclocks to 1.5. HoneyIce Chimera I think overclocks to 1.2. But if you want Jelly Bean, you have to use VegaBean Beta 6 without overclocking. The reasons were explained by ejtagle and Cass67.

Guest DerArtem

Hi,

I have added a custom

arm_pm_restart = betelgeuse_restart;

to my kernel in order to write a magic value to EEPROM to reboot to recovery.

Now the tablet is feezing some times on reboot. Have you had something like that? Any ideas where I should dig arround?

I have also sometimes issue with shutdown that the tablet is also freezing during shutdown. This only happends when the tablet was on LP0 standby before...

Here is the commit: https://github.com/DerArtem/android_kernel_toshiba_betelgeuse/commit/fce61566efadaca53f036e2c5426d8f1c2041fb9

Edited by DerArtem

Guest ejtagle

Hi,

I have added a custom

arm_pm_restart = betelgeuse_restart;

to my kernel in order to write a magic value to EEPROM to reboot to recovery.

Now the tablet is feezing some times on reboot. Have you had something like that? Any ideas where I should dig arround?

I have also sometimes issue with shutdown that the tablet is also freezing during shutdown. This only happends when the tablet was on LP0 standby before...

Here is the commit: https://github.com/D...426d8f1c2041fb9

Well, i have had such problems, but not on the p10an01 (as far as i can tell, has no eeprom...) ... The problems that i had were on the p10an10 (that DOES have the eeprom)... Not sure about LP0 problems... Did you manage to get a last_kmsg from the kernel when shutting down ? .. It could give a clue ...

Guest karthik050782

Hi,

We are trying to build CM10 for samsung galaxyR-I9103. HW acceleration is not working, using Nvidia codec, it says "failed to allocate node" in OMXCodec.cpp. Tried with the changes of DerArtem(used for ICS), but it didn't worked, same error.

Also avp_init won't get performed in our kmsg.

Please help us.

If I posted wrongly, please forgive me! This is my first post in the modaco!!!

Edit: the ejtagle libraries helped, now Hw accelration is working!!! Thanks a million!

Thanks,

Karthik

Edited by karthik050782

Guest ejtagle

Seems google (JBQ) is uploading AOSP 4.2

I think porting to 4.2 will be trivial... NVIDIA has not released a new kernel ... Neither new graphics libs... :S ... AOSP 4.2 seems to be just a bugfixed version of 4.1.2..

Let's see ... Syncing right now to 4.2...

Edited by ejtagle