Senseless but with HTC address book??

Guest M Brouns

Guest M Brouns

I'd love to get my hands on a Gingerbread ROM. Heard that over at XDA, there are ROM's available.

Oddly enough I generally like to bake a Sense ROM and then exclude the Sense/Rosie launcher..

Why? I LOVE the native HTC Desire address book (created by HTC).

Is there a way to bake a ROM that does not contain any HTC components except for the address book?

Guest volatile_ink
Is there a way to bake a ROM that does not contain any HTC components except for the address book?

AFAIK no. Apps like the weather widget, address book, dialer, calender, Mail etc are all HTC proprietary. There maybe emulators but nothing as good as the real thing.

Went to Cyanogen for a few days, switched back just for the HTC stuff.

Long day + phone off = can't be bothered to try it myself but have you just tried installing the vanilla launcher and tried running the address book from there?

Do a search for Launcher on the Market and install a few.... Let us know how you get on.

Edited by volatile_ink

Guest M Brouns
Do a search for Launcher on the Market and install a few.... Let us know how you get on.

Experimented a lot with launchers and there is two that work great: LauncherPro and ADW Launcher Ex.

I prefer and use the first.

HTC's Weather widget is best mimicked by Beatiful Widgets (is actually even better / more configurable)

AFAIK, nothing comes close to HTC's address book. For me that's the ONLY reason why I stick to MCR r9 (with Sense) for now. I'd love to flash ingerbread but then I'd loose the HTC address book.

If anyone has clues how to scrape the code of that address book and include it in a vanilla ROM, pls let us know!

If anyone knows an address book that is similar (or better) than the HTC one, pls let us know too.

UPDATE: Found someone who thinks the same here: "On a more personal note, I use the ‘People’ application included in the HTC Sense version of Android, which in my opinion outperforms any of the mentioned address book applications."

Edited by M Brouns

Weather widget is best copied by Fancy Widget but it was pulled from the Market as HTC didn't like it. I use it in my non-Sense ROMs when I'm not running my own Sense one

Guest volatile_ink

If your looking for work to be done by a developer, perhaps Modaco is not the best place to be?

I remember when I was a newbie, those were the days... More updates than you could flash! ;)

Guest Asselberghs

I don´t know if this would work but the address book is just an app right? so properbly not dependant on Sense/rosie. Try and bake a sense rom, enter the zip, and extract the apk for the address book. And just install it as a normal app. Widgets wont work this way without Sense but I suspect an actual app would. Can´t see why it would depend on the Sense UI.

I don´t know if this would work but the address book is just an app right? so properbly not dependant on Sense/rosie.

No

Widgets wont work this way without Sense but I suspect an actual app would. Can´t see why it would depend on the Sense UI.
Address book (or People app) depends on the Rosie (Sense) framework/launcher. It won't work without it. It's too tightly integrated into Sense.