'New' ZTE devices

Guest aleckxander

Guest deksman2
Will the skate be as easy to unlock as the blade?

It's possible, but we won't know until it actually arrives.

BTW...

I got myself the Orange SF on Saturday.

White version.

Why?

Hardware wise, it's identical to the black one, and in store, it's £10 cheaper (so I paid £110 in total), besides the white doesn't bother me.

Also, I can get a quality screen/casing protection for it online for up to £10 (at most).

Now I just have to debrand it and put Froyo on it.

The premise on which I usually operate on is that if I got a new device just recently, then I will wait most likely about 2 years before upgrading to something new.

That will allow for sufficient time for hardware to advance where I'll actually notice the improvements (in case of laptops though, I might wait 3 or 4 years).

Think of it like Intel's Tick/Tock intervals.

The Tock represents an architectural improvement, whereas the Tick is just a die shrink of the existing architecture with a minor speed bump (the former gives you around 30 to 50% increase in efficiency and speed compared to the latter - roughly).

In the mobile world, I would surmise that the following 1 or 2 years will yield similar/sufficient hardware improvements in these devices to notice a change similar to what the Tick/Tock cycle represents.

Enough for ZTE to churn out dual or quad core smartphones onto the market that would be of comparable prices to what the Blade is today.

The point is... don't upgrade on the "Tick" cycle, because the "Tock" is better value for money.

Or if you are seriously on budget, then go with the Tick of the generation that came out right before the Tock.

Guest renegade027
HTC Desire HD has the same resolution, no android phone has a better resolution (excepting the Atrix, but still not launched)

I have an AMOLED HTC Desire 3.7'' @ 480x800. Perfect, really nice display. My spouse's (AMOLED) Blade carries the same resolution at 3.5'' - things are a bit small but tolerable.

My experience with 4.3'' screens comes from installing Android on two HTC HD2s - for friends. These have the same screen as the Desire HD, I believe. Well....first those screens pale in comparison (pun intended) but, OK, I could possibly get used to an LCD, I think. But then 480x800 @ 4.3'' makes everything bigger without fitting more on the screen. The pixel pitch is noticeably larger, (20ish %) so the notification bar is unnecessarily big and so are the icons. It's my personal opinion that if someone is bringing a 4.3'' device to market, it should be on a higher resolution, especially if they want to call it an up-scale smartphone - i.e like Samsung are about to do.

I do realize that not using a Pentile matrix would improve things a bit as far as veeery thin lines are concerned, but not sure if this will be sufficient for a really nice overall experience.

That said, I don't know what to make of this one:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3.3.html

Does that mean Android 2.3.3 does not support a resolution any higher than 480x854? So how do they go about this limitation on the Motorola Atrix? It will be in shops in the US by the end of this week, so we'll see, I guess.

Guest Vansphone
I have an AMOLED HTC Desire 3.7'' @ 480x800. Perfect, really nice display. My spouse's (AMOLED) Blade carries the same resolution at 3.5'' - things are a bit small but tolerable.

My experience with 4.3'' screens comes from installing Android on two HTC HD2s - for friends. These have the same screen as the Desire HD, I believe. Well....first those screens pale in comparison (pun intended) but, OK, I could possibly get used to an LCD, I think. But then 480x800 @ 4.3'' makes everything bigger without fitting more on the screen. The pixel pitch is noticeably larger, (20ish %) so the notification bar is unnecessarily big and so are the icons. It's my personal opinion that if someone is bringing a 4.3'' device to market, it should be on a higher resolution, especially if they want to call it an up-scale smartphone - i.e like Samsung are about to do.

I do realize that not using a Pentile matrix would improve things a bit as far as veeery thin lines are concerned, but not sure if this will be sufficient for a really nice overall experience.

That said, I don't know what to make of this one:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3.3.html

Does that mean Android 2.3.3 does not support a resolution any higher than 480x854? So how do they go about this limitation on the Motorola Atrix? It will be in shops in the US by the end of this week, so we'll see, I guess.

Thanks for the information.

I like the idea of bigger text. Currently I have to put my reading glasses on to read some of the smaller text, so if everything was a little bit bigger that would perfect for me

Well, it doesn't. We know it has Adreno 200.

Adreno 200 and 800MHz most likely means MSM7227-1 Turbo, as gwebb has first mentioned.

Do we know where is he's getting those references from? In this hands on the guy says adreno 205 at 0.43 >>>

I have also seen other information listing flash support, which can only really mean ARMv7 and likely the MSM7230.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the Phandroid post, although saying that there is still no OFFICIAL confirmation. Could have also been beta firmware which would explain the slow operation...might just be wishful thinking though.

Edited by Sere83

Guest Teasy

Android 2.3 with an ARMv6 processor?, plus all the talk about Flash support. Perhaps its a bunch of cheap QSD8250's that didn't make the grade for 1Ghz?, very unlikely, but something seems odd here.

Edited by Teasy

Guest Paul Shirley
Does that mean Android 2.3.3 does not support a resolution any higher than 480x854?

You're just looking at skins for the common sizes developers need to test on. There are no restrictions on the maximum resolution or max/min pixel density and if I remember right you don't have to use those standard resolutions either. Could cause some unfortunate scaling effects if a device used something else though, for apps that let the system handle UI sizing.

No need to worry, large screens are catered for.

Guest Rotmann

My experience with 4.3'' screens comes from installing Android on two HTC HD2s - for friends. These have the same screen as the Desire HD, I believe. Well....first those screens pale in comparison (pun intended) but, OK, I could possibly get used to an LCD, I think. But then 480x800 @ 4.3'' makes everything bigger without fitting more on the screen. The pixel pitch is noticeably larger, (20ish %) so the notification bar is unnecessarily big and so are the icons.

You can play with the pixel density and make stuff smaller or bigger.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest renegade027
You're just looking at skins for the common sizes developers need to test on. There are no restrictions on the maximum resolution or max/min pixel density and if I remember right you don't have to use those standard resolutions either. Could cause some unfortunate scaling effects if a device used something else though, for apps that let the system handle UI sizing.

No need to worry, large screens are catered for.

Got it. Thanks :-)

Guest Maringer

Coming to the Blade from a TouchHD (which has a 3.8" screen), I've certainly noticed that the keyboard can be a little cramped on the 3.5" screen though the Blade's capacitive screen is a huge improvement over the resistive one of the TouchHD!

Ideally, I'd prefer a little more screen size - perhaps up to a maximum of 4", providing the surrounding bezel was nice and compact. Ultimately, I think the 4.3" screen on the Skate will make the phone a little too large for me. I keep my phone in my trouser pocket and I think the Skate would prove too bulky.

My brother in law owns a Galaxy S and I could probably just about deal with a phone that size (and the light weight helps) but I'd still prefer something a little smaller in most dimensions if possible!

Guest renegade027
You can play with the pixel density and make stuff smaller or bigger.

Wow!

I've seen this mentioned with regard to Desire HD ROMs being installed on the regular Desire and people complaining that notifications are too small - hence the advice 'play around with pixel density and font sizes'

I've never done that myself - well, I did now and ...thanks for the idea. This could really fix what I didn't like about the HTC HD2/Desire HD screens - which is great as it looks like 800x480 will be the prevailing resolution on most of the new larger screen phones coming to market in 2011.

Guest KillerMackem

The Skate looks quite laggy from some of the previews, quite disappointing since I am in the market for a new phone. Anyone think it may only be laggy because it's not the finished article yet or do you think it could be tweaked to be less laggy?

Guest 90180360
The Skate looks quite laggy from some of the previews, quite disappointing since I am in the market for a new phone. Anyone think it may only be laggy because it's not the finished article yet or do you think it could be tweaked to be less laggy?

Of course it will be less laggy. It has (slightly) better hardware than the Blade.

Guest The Soup Thief
Of course it will be less laggy. It has (slightly) better hardware than the Blade.

I don't think the skate's gonna knock your socks off in performance terms after using a modded blade

A modded skate will probably be a bit better and and a bit less laggy than a similarly warmed over blade, but I'd have thought the difference will be relatively marginal

I'm gonna stick with this handset for a good while (a year or two, unless the buttons all fall off and the screen bursts - don't joke!) - by then there should be some interesting budget dual core action about :(

Guest KillerMackem
I don't think the skate's gonna knock your socks off in performance terms after using a modded blade

A modded skate will probably be a bit better and and a bit less laggy than a similarly warmed over blade, but I'd have thought the difference will be relatively marginal

I'm gonna stick with this handset for a good while (a year or two, unless the buttons all fall off and the screen bursts - don't joke!) - by then there should be some interesting budget dual core action about :(

Thanks. Thing is, I don't actually have a Blade. I was gonna buy one but then I saw that this was set to be released and I think I'll wait. Only other thing I worry about besides the lag is the sensitivity of the touch screen. I've had some bad experiences with LG and Samsung touchscreens that didn't live up to expectations and my finger presses sometimes didn't register. After seeing some of the mods for the Blade, I was amazed. If the Skate becomes the 'Blade 2' per se, I may be tempted to buy it just because of the potential it has in terms of modding and what-not.

Guest The Soup Thief
Thanks. Thing is, I don't actually have a Blade. I was gonna buy one but then I saw that this was set to be released and I think I'll wait. Only other thing I worry about besides the lag is the sensitivity of the touch screen. I've had some bad experiences with LG and Samsung touchscreens that didn't live up to expectations and my finger presses sometimes didn't register. After seeing some of the mods for the Blade, I was amazed. If the Skate becomes the 'Blade 2' per se, I may be tempted to buy it just because of the potential it has in terms of modding and what-not.

Yeah, if both were on the market today I'd probably go for the skate, so far aas I've understood it, but bear in mind that the blade was exibited first about a year back and only came to market on Orange about 5 months ago - it's still very new in some countries

There's something to that saying... a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Plus the blade is a bloody steal - even if you got one, used it for 8 months then gave it to your mum (the phone :( ) and bought a skate you'd be doing ok

Guest KillerMackem
Yeah, if both were on the market today I'd probably go for the skate, so far aas I've understood it, but bear in mind that the blade was exibited first about a year back and only came to market on Orange about 5 months ago - it's still very new in some countries

There's something to that saying... a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Plus the blade is a bloody steal - even if you got one, used it for 8 months then gave it to your mum (the phone :( ) and bought a skate you'd be doing ok

Yeah, I heard the Blade is exceptional value for money. I really like the larger screen on the Skate as I'm used to using larger screens. I can't wait for it to be released here in the UK.