would it be possible to build an Eclair kernel

Guest hecatae

Guest StevenHarperUK
But why would anyone want to do a thing like that? :D

I don't know - I would like a Debian build for this phone though - debian support ARM 5 and ARM6 - ubuntu dropped ARM5 and ARM6 last year.

I don't know - I would like a Debian build for this phone though - debian support ARM 5 and ARM6 - ubuntu dropped ARM5 and ARM6 last year.

Its not a big problem running Debian or another Linux distro on the phone. I did compile and get Debian working on my old MWG ZINC. The big problem is to make it usable. The phone wont work (proprietary ril) and a capactive touchscreen isnt very good in X11. It might be possible to get something more mobile friendly like maemo/meego to work on the phone but there is still the issue with the ril and in my opinion i don't really see any advantage with meego over android. But of-course it would be a nice challenge and would be incredibly rewarding to just have done it. :D

Edited by 0x90

Guest hecatae

built the kernel using the perfected config in the 2.6.32 github, must be perfected for froyo as booted but touchscreen was a no go

Edited by hecatae

Guest Phoenix Silver
Its not a big problem running Debian or another Linux distro on the phone. I did compile and get Debian working on my old MWG ZINC. The big problem is to make it usable. The phone wont work (proprietary ril) and a capactive touchscreen isnt very good in X11. It might be possible to get something more mobile friendly like maemo/meego to work on the phone but there is still the issue with the ril and in my opinion i don't really see any advantage with meego over android. But of-course it would be a nice challenge and would be incredibly rewarding to just have done it. :D

perhaps rockbox ? :D

Guest hecatae

right, got it booting, but same issue, no response from touchscreen, any idea what I'm missing?

boots, hardware buttons work, makes noises, but it does not register touching the screen

2.6.32 source

# CONFIG_DOWNLOAD_FIRMWARE is not set

2.6.29 working config

CONFIG_DOWNLOAD_FIRMWARE=y

only difference I can see in the touchscreen part of the config

edit:that did nothing

in the sensors config the only difference is CONFIG_SENSOR_ACCELERATOR=y is enabled in 2.6.29 and not in 2.6.32

Edited by hecatae

Guest fonix232

Actually if we can refer to RIL as from Android, everything is solved. I would really like to see an even partially working MeeGo build, like on the N1, maybe in dual-boot mode, or a virtual machine. Android for phone, MeeGo for multimedia. Anyone wanna do a dynamic multi bootloader?

About bootloader, it could be pretty easy. Take a simple (very simple) GRUB-like system, add some android checks, modify the main image (so the actual kernel remains an img file stored on /system, and on /sd-ext for secondary OS), and load them based on a config file. On boot, ten seconds to select one (Boot from SYSTEM; Boot from SD-EXT), and then load the matching kernel with matching mounts.

Guest Phoenix Silver
Actually if we can refer to RIL as from Android, everything is solved. I would really like to see an even partially working MeeGo build, like on the N1, maybe in dual-boot mode, or a virtual machine. Android for phone, MeeGo for multimedia. Anyone wanna do a dynamic multi bootloader?

About bootloader, it could be pretty easy. Take a simple (very simple) GRUB-like system, add some android checks, modify the main image (so the actual kernel remains an img file stored on /system, and on /sd-ext for secondary OS), and load them based on a config file. On boot, ten seconds to select one (Boot from SYSTEM; Boot from SD-EXT), and then load the matching kernel with matching mounts.

humm perhaps with unetbootin