CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

WIPE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WIPE BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF COMPLAINING to clear this up a bit, I mean: If you have a problem, make sure you wipe and then reinstall the ROM. If the problem persists, make a post.

Firstly, thank you ever so much to Tom G, HCDR Jacob and the CyanogenMod team. I am in no way responsible for this ROM, I am merely an unofficial source gathering up the sometimes confusing bits and pieces.

Secondly the old Nightlies thread can be found HERE and may contain any information I've missed in this post. With that out of the way, let's start!

Hello, and welcome to the second Nightlies topic. Starting today, we'll be discussing RC2, and will move on to the following Nightlies when they come.

So, What have we today?

Nightly 28!

Please upgrade to Nightly 28, then we'll all have a level playing field. If something doesn't work, it can be traced to this version.

But what is a nightly, I hear you ask? A Nightly is a build that comes out every night (go figure) and includes all the fixes submitted to the project up until that point. Therefore, pretty much every new build is as current as possible. It also means no formal testing has taken place, so bits could be broken or unstable.

What's fixed here?

To see realtime changes, take a look at the Blade's CyanogenMod Github. Also, take a peek at the General CyanogenMod changelog to see what's new in the base, no-device-specific areas.

A website that shoes very visually all the changes going into the blade is THIS ONE HERE. It's so very helpful.

In Nightly 28 as of 21/03/2011:

• In terms of real real changes. The mini battery indicator now works in Honeybread theme. Probably not the most evenful of days :(

• New Kernel with SmartAss governor and additional lovelies
    • Prox fixed for real. Ambient light also works well, too.
    • Battery drain finally fixed? (Can it be, FOR REALZ?)
    • Proximity Fixed
    • Apps2sd works, as well as loading stuff like angry birds from sd, hoorah!
    • Wifi reconnects after sleep
    • Autobrightness levels are now changeable again, before now they would FC CM settings.
    • CPU idle set on the Kernel. The beginning of better battery life.
    • Repeat Ringtone for Incoming Calls
    • Volume Fixes - controls work whilst asleep
    • Headset fixes
    • Éclair User agent in browser
    • Autofocus on Camera
    • Autobrightness Values have been fixed
    • Overclockable Kernel has been added
    • CyanogenMod CPU settings work.

What haven't we got/ What's still broken?

[*]GPS is a tad unreliable

[*]USB Tethering and WiFi tethering. Wifi can be fixed using the fix in the post below.

[*]Random Touchscreen Freezes link

[*]FM Radio may be out for a while link

*Many other small niggles that can be seen on the CyanogenMod Issue Tracker, it's of paramount importance that you look there before whining about things being broken here

How do I go about Installing this?

*The vital first step is download either Tom's or Seb404's ClockworkMod. Seb's is here, with instructions

*Next is to do a Nandroid backup within Clockwork. This will produce a full backup of your current ROM, so you can go back to it at will.

*Wipe data/ do a factory reset

*Install the ROM .zip file.

*Install Google Apps, which are HERE

*Restore and backup, install new apps

It should be noted, that restoring settings and system apps could lead to some bad stuff going down, so be wary!

As an aside, makes sure you have the latest version of Clockwork installed, which, to be safe is 3.0.1.4. This can be downloaded from Seb's post, linked above, or through ROM manager. However. ROM manager will only install newer clockworks for our blades from within CM7, unfortunately.

A touch of housekeeping

Noobs, be careful. This post is here to be read. If you ask the same questions on every page, You will be reported.

And indeed, anyone who notices this behaviour: A). Point them in the right direction if they genuinely seems lost. B ). Click the report button or something and give a nice broad "READ THE FIRST POST" sort of sign. C). Do whatever's necessary to keep the thread clean. But friendly. Shouting for shouting's sake makes the thread messier and doesn't actually help the cause.

Anyway, as you all know, this post will be updated frequently by me. If a nightly pops up and I don't notice, drop me a PM

So please. Keep it friendly, keep it on topic. And keep looking at the first post!

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Big bag O' temporary fixes

• From good mister Rotmann, quoted verbatim(ish) in regards to getting Apps2SD to work in some fashion:
    Also the apps2sd bug can be avoided by formating the card with partition manager under windows or gparted, into two PRIMARY partitions: the first fat32, the second ext3. Install s2e (simple2ext) from the market, put it to move the apps to ext and restart. Before installing the ROM apply wbaw's partition mod to get 333 MB. This is only for people who use more than 10-20 apps and games.

• Also, sluggish launcher performance? First, turn off wallpaper hack in ADW. If that fails, try another launcher. If that fails, try Gingerbread Launcher by Steven Lin, found on the market. That should solve performance issues, at the cost of it being a stock(ish) launcher.

• The current way to get wifi hotspot on to CM7
    How you get wifi-tethering (mobile hotspot) on CM7 ...

1.) You need the "hostapd"-binary from any 2.2-rom (for the zte blade) - it's located in /system/bin (extract it from a update-zip-file).

2.) Now copy the hostapd-binary to /system/bin
    CODE
    adb remount
    adb push hostapd /system/bin/.
    adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/hostapd

3.) Install wifi/wireless-tether from the google-code page - I recommend the latest experimental version (version 3):
    http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

This version comes with/supports a toggle-widget, infrastructure/master-mode, wpa-encryption, access-control ... and other useful stuff like mss clamping ...
    IT'S NOT AD-HOC!
    Alternatively, Flash THIS. It's a much quicker way of doing it.

The CM7 forums are here, could be useful in getting attention from Devs

And the good 'ole disclaimer

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/[/code]

Guest robot1000

I asked this on the other thread but I didn't get an answer.

What's the difference between the nightly builds and the RC, surely if the nightly builds continue to be released there is no need for us to install RC2?

Guest The Soup Thief

Bit busy here at the mo - will add any supplemtary stuff as I get time

Edited by The Soup Thief

I asked this on the other thread but I didn't get an answer.

What's the difference between the nightly builds and the RC, surely if the nightly builds continue to be released there is no need for us to install RC2?

RC2 is a milestone, if you like. Indeed, it's the same as the current nightlies, but it's a point where we're allowed to make bug reports again, as the issues system is racist towards nightly builds.

Great to see you're on the case

I'll try and chip in a bit :(

Ah yes, sorry to have not informed you, it was a bit of a hassle arranging this post.

Guest robot1000
RC2 is a milestone, if you like. Indeed, it's the same as the current nightlies, but it's a point where we're allowed to make bug reports again, as the issues system is racist towards nightly builds.

Thanks for clearing that up

Guest Poodha

So is it okay to use this post now? =) Think it will be easier to use this one in the long run since you update the nightlies, which I guess the other thread wont. Could you had usb-tethering to "what we haven't got/what's still broken"? Seems like there are quite a few who are waiting for this.

BTW, does wifihotspot work now? Couldnt find it in the issue tracker, but IIRC, it didn't work for me when I used RC1.

Edited by Poodha

Guest Oyorf

I have read from the nightly thread that there is autofocus missing from 5Mpix camera. Can some one confirm and report it to issue tracker?

Guest The Soup Thief
Could anybody post the following bug fix to the devs?

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...ail?id=2894#c42

I don't think that the devs will read it. Could anybody open a new "issue" on the project tracker?

Has this fix been confirmed to make a difference / not been included? This (posts 2313) was the kernel typo.I thought rotmann had passed it on to tom & Jacob

Anyone confirm?

Guest metzench
Has this fix been confirmed to make a difference / not been included? This (posts 2313) was the kernel typo.I thought rotmann had passed it on to tom & Jacob

Anyone confirm?

Seems really to be working, i opened a pull request on TomGs github for the kernel sources, so he might be including it.

Guest JuusoJuuso
I don't think there is any difference between rc2 and n15

So, why do you think they aren't actually same size? n15 is a little bit bigger and relase date is different...

Guest ChundaMars

Anyone have any idea why I can't seem to be able to install the Google apps? I use the exact same process as installing the CM7 ROM itself, and everything *appears* to work alright in ClockworkMod, but when the ROM boots up the Google Apps are not installed...

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
So, why do you think they aren't actually same size? n15 is a little bit bigger and relase date is different...

When you look inside the ZIP files you'll notice the RC2 files are actually younger (by an hour) than the ones in N15.

As for the different "release date": RCs are hand-crafted, nightlies are built by a bot.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Anyone have any idea why I can't seem to be able to install the Google apps? I use the exact same process as installing the CM7 ROM itself, and everything *appears* to work alright in ClockworkMod, but when the ROM boots up the Google Apps are not installed...

Worked ok for me. Where did you upgrade from ?

Guest ChundaMars
Worked ok for me. Where did you upgrade from ?

From the first link on the official CyanogenMod forum. Had the same problem with RC1 too, but didn't stick with it long enough (due to proximity issue) to warrant trying to find out what was wrong

TouchScreen freezes might be caused by overclocking (also, random reboots most likely are caused by OC'ing)

Not quite. I've been experiencing more freezes on stock speed than on OC.

Guest RoVlad

GPU performances droped

N12 had the best scores on benchmark and pretty stable too ... not big differences between different tests