Pure Linux on ZTE Racer

Guest yetikid234

Guest yetikid234

Ok, basically I have a ZTE Racer I don't use and I thought it would be really cool as a little linux homeserver, and I thougth about how cool it would be to run purely linux of it, replacing the android os so it's a nice little linux box. The closest i've got to this so far is having it in recovery mode and using adb to boot ubuntu using the ubuntu port but there's not much I can do on that since I don't have the android system up there's no wifi etc..

So basically anyone feel like building a rom that's purely linux for the zte racer.

Guest equiliym
Ok, basically I have a ZTE Racer I don't use and I thought it would be really cool as a little linux homeserver, and I thougth about how cool it would be to run purely linux of it, replacing the android os so it's a nice little linux box. The closest i've got to this so far is having it in recovery mode and using adb to boot ubuntu using the ubuntu port but there's not much I can do on that since I don't have the android system up there's no wifi etc..

So basically anyone feel like building a rom that's purely linux for the zte racer.

oh mai.. sorry, i dont know much about this but i have to just bump this topic, this is interesting idea

edit: okay, i managed to pull it off myself but i dont think i did it right, i just have gray background and a mouse, dont know whats wrong and what to do now, here is the screenshot.. oh i also put it to go on 640x480

edit2: OR it just needs time to load, im using 2.1 android so my phone is going slow too, not sure if that matters, but its 600mhz cpu, not sure how ubuntu goes on that anyway, and i just have loaded a wallpaper lol, attaching another image

edit3: oh i also forgot to mention but you can see from my edit2 that i didnt go pure linux, my ubuntu is running as a background process, ill just edit again if anything changes :D

edit4: this is sweet.. running on 320x240 now, attaching third screencap

post-840416-1301680485_thumb.png

post-840416-1301681066_thumb.png

post-840416-1301682989_thumb.png

Edited by equiliym

Guest yetikid234

Ye i've also done this, I just have no reason to have the android system running at the same time, but I have cut down the android system as much as I can myself, trying to free up as much RAM as I can for ubuntu/debian.

• 4 months later...
Guest vukodav

oh mai.. sorry, i dont know much about this but i have to just bump this topic, this is interesting idea

edit: okay, i managed to pull it off myself but i dont think i did it right, i just have gray background and a mouse, dont know whats wrong and what to do now, here is the screenshot.. oh i also put it to go on 640x480

edit2: OR it just needs time to load, im using 2.1 android so my phone is going slow too, not sure if that matters, but its 600mhz cpu, not sure how ubuntu goes on that anyway, and i just have loaded a wallpaper lol, attaching another image

edit3: oh i also forgot to mention but you can see from my edit2 that i didnt go pure linux, my ubuntu is running as a background process, ill just edit again if anything changes :D

edit4: this is sweet.. running on 320x240 now, attaching third screencap

Hi equiliym, can you post here how did you install Ubuntu, links for ubuntu.img file you used? thnank you

Guest equiliym

sorry guys, didnt see someone actually posted here.. you can follow THIS tutorial on installing ubuntu in background on your android phone, since racer has low memory it might go a bit slow so try enabling swap for better performance.. not sure if its against the rules or not so i wont post the link for ubuntu arm iso but if you dont manage to find one, pm me and ill send you the link :)

• 1 year later...