Media Scanner fail?

Guest mox2001

Guest mox2001

I've got a problem

I discovered that the photos I took disappeared from gallery.

The same with video.

When browsing to a video file and playing it through Astro the file reappered in the gallery, but only the one played.

The media files on my external SD were still visible.

After a bit of messing around the External SD files disappeared too.

Both the internal and external SD cards are mounted and I can browse through them using Astro but the Gallery and music player doesn't show anything.

I then installed SwithcPro Widget which can activate the media scanner.

The media scanner runs, but the files still won't appear in gallery / music player.

I'm running MCR FR10.

Just updated the baseband to the latest version and restored everything from backup.

I really don't want to delete everything and start from scratch, but unless someone in here can help me I'm afraid that's my only choice.

Any suggestions?

Guest maedox

Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage apps and select Gallery. Force stop it, clear data, then delete the directory named com.cooliris.media under /sdcard/Android/data/. The media scanner should start automatically. If it fails again you should backup everything on your sdcard and reformat it. What brand is your card? It might have gone bad.

Guest mox2001
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage apps and select Gallery. Force stop it, clear data, then delete the directory named com.cooliris.media under /sdcard/Android/data/. The media scanner should start automatically. If it fails again you should backup everything on your sdcard and reformat it. What brand is your card? It might have gone bad.

The files on my external sd card are shown now, but not the files on the internal card.

I can see and open all files using Astro so I guess both of them should be okay.

Performing the steps you mentioned resulted in a completely clean gallery with no photos or videos at all...

Again.. It seems more like the media scanner failing than anything else :)

Update:

Unmounting and remounting both cards brought the content from External SD back - But still nothing from the internal SD

Items copied from internal to external shows up too.

Edited by mox2001

Guest maedox
The files on my external sd card are shown now, but not the files on the internal card.

I can see and open all files using Astro so I guess both of them should be okay.

Performing the steps you mentioned resulted in a completely clean gallery with no photos or videos at all...

Again.. It seems more like the media scanner failing than anything else :)

Update:

Unmounting and remounting both cards brought the content from External SD back - But still nothing from the internal SD

Items copied from internal to external shows up too.

Very odd. I have used that trick several times with success. The point is that it clears all thumbnails and cache for the gallery app so that it has to start from scratch.

Maybe someone else has some input?

Are you sure the folders you want to show up aren't hidden, i.e. names starting with a .? Having a file named .nomedia in a directory will also effectively exclude the dir and any sub-dir's and files from media scanning.

Edited by maedox

Guest mox2001
Very odd. I have used that trick several times with success. The point is that it clears all thumbnails and cache for the gallery app so that it has to start from scratch.

Maybe someone else has some input?

Are you sure the folders you want to show up aren't hidden, i.e. names starting with a .? Having a file named .nomedia in a directory will also effectively exclude the dir and any sub-dir's and files from media scanning.

Back to square one.

I updated the baseband, formatted the internal card and started all from scratch instead of restoring from backup.