Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest qwertymz
Oh also by doing a nandroid back up does it mean that you can revert back to your old Gen 1 Tom if anything messes up or something. Hmm?

Presumably you'd need to use the GEN2->GEN1 tool first, then restore in CWR.

Guest Fou-lu

Anyone getting stuck on the green man try hold volume + and menu before power on, then when both are held down power on, also the tpt contents must be in sdcard/image no other sub-folder,that should work in 30sec..

Guest Tahsin

Hey also, by doing this. Does this mean my phone is officially gen 2? And I can update cynogenmod 7 stable? The newest one, the one that's only for gen 2.

gen1 - 42mb cache 207mb system 208mb data = 457

gen2 - 2mb cache, 136 mb system, 302mb data. 0 oem = 440

Where are 16-17 MB gone in gen2?

boot & recovery partitions are 0.5mb bigger each on Gen2 than on Gen1 = 1mb

Real Gen2 also has an extra hidden 'FOTA' partition = 15mb. This version doesn't have that partition, but it still leaves 15mb free space as if it did have it. I'm going to edit that bit out & reclaim the extra 15mb wasted space in the next version.

The other 1mb is a rounding error.

Hey also, by doing this. Does this mean my phone is officially gen 2? And I can update cynogenmod 7 stable? The newest one, the one that's only for gen 2.

Yes, that is what it's for. CM 7.0.0 is Gen1, CM 7.0.2 is Gen2.

Guest Android.Fan

I upgraded mine to Gen2, flashed CM7.0.2. Working perfect till now. I'm just wondering about one thing related to Gen2 upgrade. As posts suggest that it will unlock HSUPA and 850(MHz or GHz) band. Does it mean I got these two things now by upgrading to Gen2?

I upgraded mine to Gen2, flashed CM7.0.2. Working perfect till now. I'm just wondering about one thing related to Gen2 upgrade. As posts suggest that it will unlock HSUPA and 850(MHz or GHz) band. Does it mean I got these two things now by upgrading to Gen2?

If your network provider supports it in your area, then yes, you might get HSUPA. I didn't get it myself, but some people have had it working.

Guest jtc42

How difficult is it to mod this to use the standard partition layout? I wanna be uber careful if I do this again since last time I used the Windows method and bricked it :)

Guest targetbsp
How difficult is it to mod this to use the standard partition layout? I wanna be uber careful if I do this again since last time I used the Windows method and bricked it :)

So... being worried about bricking... you want to use a layout different to the tried and tested one that everyone else has used?? :)

Edited by targetbsp

Applies the All In One update. Great stuff! Any chance you could update the package to include the new stable CM7?

Yes, it will be updated to CM 7.0.2 & CWM 3.0.2.7 this evening, also with an added 15mb space on data.

jtc: This is the best partition layout, the Gen2 stock one sucks, you only get half the room for data & there's no possible benefit from using it. If you don't want to break your phone, then I suggest you leave all the mbn files as they are & follow the instructions.

Guest dibbles

@wbaw - would it be possible to use the tool ZTE Blade Gen2 Partition Layout.exe and generate my own partition layout files...

partition_zte.mbn

appsboot.mbn

...and then replace the ones in your up and coming CM 7.0.2 TPT set of files..?

As long as the two files only are replaced and generated as GEN 2 would that be ok...?

Guest hugobosslives
Yes, it will be updated to CM 7.0.2 & CWM 3.0.2.7 this evening, also with an added 15mb space on data.

so, for us people who have used version2 to succesfully upgrade to gen2 (with the 15mb wasted space)

when you do this new version3.... how do we go about getting the 15mb back.....

cheers

Guest Decadence
@wbaw - would it be possible to use the tool ZTE Blade Gen2 Partition Layout.exe and generate my own partition layout files...

partition_zte.mbn

appsboot.mbn

...and then replace the ones in your up and coming CM 7.0.2 TPT set of files..?

As long as the two files only are replaced and generated as GEN 2 would that be ok...?

That's what I did and it worked fine. :)

Guest KACE_231
gen1 - 42mb cache 207mb system 208mb data = 457

gen2 - 2mb cache, 136 mb system, 302mb data. 0 oem = 440

Where are 16-17 MB gone in gen2?

@wbaw

Im curious about this too, how can one have less, also I cant get all the GAPPS installed, I think Ive hit the limit in the /system partition.

Guest jtc42
So... being worried about bricking... you want to use a layout different to the tried and tested one that everyone else has used?? :)

I wanna use the standard ZTE one that's had no reports of Market errors. I'm SURE there was word that a 2mb cache plays pissy with some market downloads.

Guest targetbsp
I wanna use the standard ZTE one that's had no reports of Market errors. I'm SURE there was word that a 2mb cache plays pissy with some market downloads.

Not in any of the roms that support gen 2 though. :) They both redirect download cache to the sd card.

Edited by targetbsp

so, for us people who have used version2 to succesfully upgrade to gen2 (with the 15mb wasted space)

when you do this new version3.... how do we go about getting the 15mb back.....

cheers

Unfortunately it doesn't work. It makes the splash image (green android at start) corrupt. So we're going to have to keep wasting that 15mb for now.

2MB cache is perfect for Gen2, all the Gen2 custom roms redirect cache elsewhere, so the market works, works better than if you had a normal cache partition in fact. The standard cache partition means that you can't ever install anything over 40mb (there are a couple of apps that size now) & you end up wasting 40mb space because it can't be used for anything else.

The standard Gen2 stock layout only gives you about 170mb for /data to install your apps to, you're wasting more than a quarter of the total amount of storage space on the phone if you use it.

Edited by wbaw

Guest qwertymz

If it helps anyone:

Installed GEN2, then flashed 7.0.2 and gapps, but gapps wouldn't install properly. Then tried doing GEN2+42 and flashing 7.0.2 over that (without wipe, so as to counter the gapps issue), but that didn't work properly. (I know if I could wipe GEN2 completely and put 7.0.2 and gapps properly that it would work -- but today's not that day, so I decided to go back to GEN1 for a while).

THEREFORE:

This is what I did to go back to GEN1 (I had a Backup from within CWR):

Flashed Gen1(stock) - the smaller version from the first page;

It auto-booted CWR;

I wiped data/cache/davlik/system;

I restored my previous Nandroid backup. (this is a lie -- I'm in the middle of restoring just now; it seems to be taking ages. Still. Theoretically this means that I'll be back to N35, no problem).

And if it helps anyone (else), I find N35 to be quite stable, both on the GPS and charging front.

Guest dariob74

Hello everyone, sorry if I maybe stupid questions, but for a few days I have not read this great forum and I read when I got this message: from Gen1 to GEN2 ... you explain to me what is this migration? Why switch to Gen1 GEN2? all the Roma will be published only GEN2? The latest ROM Gen1 and the FLB 11? CyanogenMod Gen1 and which version?

Thank you and excuse me if I failed to properly explain my English is very educational

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Real Gen2 also has an extra hidden 'FOTA' partition = 15mb. This version doesn't have that partition, but it still leaves 15mb free space as if it did have it. I'm going to edit that bit out & reclaim the extra 15mb wasted space in the next version.

Can those of us, who already switched to Gen2 using your current TPT. also reclaim these wasted 15mb ?

And if yes - how ? :)

Errrrr ... seems my F5 didn't work, sorry for asking a question already having been asked before.

Edited by alex1alex2alex3alex4