Blade 5mp camera and 3.2mp camera

Guest DannyDanny

Guest DannyDanny

Some countires sell the Blade in 5mp camera.

I doubt that it will be show a significant differences, (exept for the m pixels)

But it is an upgrade after all? (or not?)

Is there any differences in speed or picture quality?

Guest TCTUK
Some countires sell the Blade in 5mp camera.

I doubt that it will be show a significant differences, (exept for the m pixels)

But it is an upgrade after all? (or not?)

Is there any differences in speed or picture quality?

To be honest any reference to Megapixels as far as mobile phones go should be taken with a pinch of salt. The build quality of the lense and the sensor will all play a significant role in determining the quality of the final picture.

E.g. A 10MP DSLR will always outperform a 12MP Point and click compact camera because the sensor and lense will be of much better quality in the DSLR.

A 10mp compact camera made by olympus will give better quality images than a 10mp compact camera made by some unheard of brand.

Ultimately the blade is a budget phone, therefore the sensor and the lense aren't the best around. It would be interesting to see if the build quality of the 5mp camera unit is significantly better but I suspect it isn't.

Guest Azurren
To be honest any reference to Megapixels as far as mobile phones go should be taken with a pinch of salt. The build quality of the lense and the sensor will all play a significant role in determining the quality of the final picture.

E.g. A 10MP DSLR will always outperform a 12MP Point and click compact camera because the sensor and lense will be of much better quality in the DSLR.

A 10mp compact camera made by olympus will give better quality images than a 10mp compact camera made by some unheard of brand.

Ultimately the blade is a budget phone, therefore the sensor and the lense aren't the best around. It would be interesting to see if the build quality of the 5mp camera unit is significantly better but I suspect it isn't.

Also relies on software and drivers. The blade could use the iPhone 4s 5MP sensor and still produce dreadful photos

To answer your original question.. Its more trouble than its worth

Guest Fri13

+1

And it is not just the lens and the sensor, it is about physics as well. Camera phones can never be a good cameras for most situations where SLR's have been used. There simply isn't enough space for between sensor and lens to get shallow dept of field what is wanted for most cases. But in rare cases compacts huge dept of field is in other hand bonus, example in some landscape shooting situations but DSLR works there wonderfully as well.

Even the N8 12MPix camera is mostly useless with f:2.8 (what is about same as f:11-16 on DSL's) and 28mm wideangle lens. You do not want to take potraits with that lens, as it distorts the sizes depending distance and perspective. It is not good for close ups at all and even for many landscape situations it is just too wide or narrow.

Example the N8 promo short film was terrible because everything was sharp and everything was shot with same wide angle. Big hurray for engineers and fans... but huge disaster for photographers and videographers.

ZTE Blade offers good enoug quality for facebook and wallpaper and some other similar situations (as well N8). But it can not be used neither as much.

But in one area ZTE Blade wins N8 well. It is the close up focus. Where N8 can focus only about 10cm distance, ZTE Blade can focus to 3cm (depth of field being 2.7-3.6) what could allow nice close up videos if the video mode just could use focus as the camera can. (and to place the depth of field to context, in real macro photos - what is 1:1 and down, the DSLR depth of field is about 1mm. But as macro is taken usually in 50-100mm focal lenght, it takes much smaller area (in 2:1 factor it can be 4-8mm wide while on ZTE about 5cm) and gives the better image than what close ups offers.

The megapixels does not matter any other situation than in final result of image size how big it can be printed or does it fill up monitor screen. Lens quality rules the pixels sharpness (just leaving of the quality of sensor). With blade, we have even a plastic cover in front of the lens what brings quality down even more.

ZTE Blade difference between 3.2 and 5 Mpix sensors is so small that no one needs to loose their sleeps on nights.

Blades camera is nice to have everyway as does N8 camera. You get some photos and you can use fancy apps to get some fancy photos. But they are all in same class what is: Better to have even a crappy photo than no photo at all.

Phones cameras (was it Blade or N8) are like mechanics with one size wrench as a tool. Compact cameras is like mechanic who has adjustable spanner and DSLR is like mechanic who would have whole toolshop. Who would you want to repair your car?

Guest Stuart_f

Also remember that each pixel is an individual reading taken by the sensor. The more light readings you try make the sensor take (without increasing the physical sensor size) the closer each of these point readings have to be together and the more electrical "noise" you will get in the signal. This noise will manifest itself as graininess on the final image and, if your sensor is cheap, will likely produce a worse image than a lower resolution sensor would given the same light conditions.

In very bright conditions, cheap sensors can cope. In low light conditions the noise becomes the overwhelming factor in the final image.

Guest xerxes
+1

And it is not just the lens and the sensor, it is about physics as well. Camera phones can never be a good cameras for most situations where SLR's have been used. There simply isn't enough space for between sensor and lens to get shallow dept of field what is wanted for most cases. But in rare cases compacts huge dept of field is in other hand bonus, example in some landscape shooting situations but DSLR works there wonderfully as well.

Even the N8 12MPix camera is mostly useless with f:2.8 (what is about same as f:11-16 on DSL's) and 28mm wideangle lens. You do not want to take potraits with that lens, as it distorts the sizes depending distance and perspective. It is not good for close ups at all and even for many landscape situations it is just too wide or narrow.

Example the N8 promo short film was terrible because everything was sharp and everything was shot with same wide angle. Big hurray for engineers and fans... but huge disaster for photographers and videographers.

ZTE Blade offers good enoug quality for facebook and wallpaper and some other similar situations (as well N8). But it can not be used neither as much.

But in one area ZTE Blade wins N8 well. It is the close up focus. Where N8 can focus only about 10cm distance, ZTE Blade can focus to 3cm (depth of field being 2.7-3.6) what could allow nice close up videos if the video mode just could use focus as the camera can. (and to place the depth of field to context, in real macro photos - what is 1:1 and down, the DSLR depth of field is about 1mm. But as macro is taken usually in 50-100mm focal lenght, it takes much smaller area (in 2:1 factor it can be 4-8mm wide while on ZTE about 5cm) and gives the better image than what close ups offers.

The megapixels does not matter any other situation than in final result of image size how big it can be printed or does it fill up monitor screen. Lens quality rules the pixels sharpness (just leaving of the quality of sensor). With blade, we have even a plastic cover in front of the lens what brings quality down even more.

ZTE Blade difference between 3.2 and 5 Mpix sensors is so small that no one needs to loose their sleeps on nights.

Blades camera is nice to have everyway as does N8 camera. You get some photos and you can use fancy apps to get some fancy photos. But they are all in same class what is: Better to have even a crappy photo than no photo at all.

Phones cameras (was it Blade or N8) are like mechanics with one size wrench as a tool. Compact cameras is like mechanic who has adjustable spanner and DSLR is like mechanic who would have whole toolshop. Who would you want to repair your car?

Why do so many people feel the need to compare phone cameras with DSLR's? The two are entirely different and serve different purposes.

When I expect to want/need to take the best possible pictures I carry a DSLR.

When I think it likely that I might want to take pictures to keep but the DSLR would be too bulky/heavy I take a bridge camera.

But the rest of the time (about 80% of the time) I don't have a dedicated camera in my pocket so I will use the camera on my phone if, for example, my kids decide to do something interesting or funny while we are at the park.

I know and understand that the pictures from my phone wont compare with those from my compact camera, let alone with those from the DSLR, but that doesn't prevent me from wanting the best phone camera possible. I used a Nokia N95 for about 2 years then had to switch to an iPhone because of my work. I found that the number of casual pictures I took of my family, pets, friends etc declined massively. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S and the number has gone back up a little because the picture quality is a bit better than the iphone. (I still don't use it as often as the N95 though, mainly because it's so much slower to get the camera app up. I really wish phone manufacturers would go back to using side mounted buttons to launch the camera and capture the shots.)

So to all those enthusiasts out there who keep shouting that the quality of the camera on a phone is irrelevant because it can never beat a dedicated camera please understand that we know that but we still want the best camera phones possible.

Guest DannyDanny

Thank you for all those very thoughtful answers. I used to work as a studio & motor car photographer

so I am aware why the blade takes a crappy photo :mellow: It was my job to know what camera does..so..

but just wanted to know if 5mp camera was any different to the 3mp camera. (maybe they installed a faster auto focus and better quality camera? who knows? wanted to find out by asking you guys).

Looking at the replies 5mp doesnt do much better than the 3mp. Question solved! Thank you so much.

Guest hecatae
Thank you for all those very thoughtful answers. I used to work as a studio & motor car photographer

so I am aware why the blade takes a crappy photo :mellow: It was my job to know what camera does..so..

but just wanted to know if 5mp camera was any different to the 3mp camera. (maybe they installed a faster auto focus and better quality camera? who knows? wanted to find out by asking you guys).

Looking at the replies 5mp doesnt do much better than the 3mp. Question solved! Thank you so much.

5mp hardware id is mt1911 if you want to read what it can do