Charging only Micro USB Cable

Guest Niks10

Guest Niks10

Sorry, if this is already posted, did a search but couldn't find exactly what I want.

As above I am looking for a Micro USB Cable for charging only (so that I can draw 700/750mA from my 1A 5V mains charger.

I have a couple for Micro USB Cables (Blackberry etc.) which only charges as USB as opposed to AC using this mains adaptor.

Most cables listed on Amazon/Ebay had data/charging cable in description but have found none with Charging only option.

Guest wakaru
Sorry, if this is already posted, did a search but couldn't find exactly what I want.

As above I am looking for a Micro USB Cable for charging only (so that I can draw 700/750mA from my 1A 5V mains charger.

I have a couple for Micro USB Cables (Blackberry etc.) which only charges as USB as opposed to AC using this mains adaptor.

Most cables listed on Amazon/Ebay had data/charging cable in description but have found none with Charging only option.

You can short DATA + & - in the mains charger, so you can use a regular Micro USB data cable. That is what I did in my 1A Car charger.

I am not sure there is a specific micro USB for charging only.

Guest shmizan

how do you short data + & - in a mains charger?

is there a guide?

also, are hTC chargers or cables completely compatible with the Blade, and draw full 700 mAh (displaying AC Charging and not USB Charging) ?

Edited by shmizan

Guest wakaru

I think there was a guide in the XDA forums, but you will have to search for it.

It is just as simple as tearing the charger apart, soldering both together (DATA + & -) and Bob's your uncle.

As for the HTC chargers / Cables I do not have a clue since I do not own any ot them.

Guest omhaigh
I think there was a guide in the XDA forums, but you will have to search for it.

It is just as simple as tearing the charger apart, soldering both together (DATA + & -) and Bob's your uncle.

As for the HTC chargers / Cables I do not have a clue since I do not own any ot them.

Use one of these with a regular usb micro-b cable http://www.lindy.co.uk/015m-usb-power-only...lack/70386.html

Guest rowanmoor
Use one of these with a regular usb micro-b cable http://www.lindy.co.uk/015m-usb-power-only...lack/70386.html

I doubt that would trigger the AC charging mode - it will just not have the data pins connected. They need to be connected together to trigger AC mode.

I got a cheap 10cm mini to micro cable on ebay and cut one connector open and did a quick but of soldering to create such a cable, but it is all fairly small and fiddly. I have never seen such a cable available to buy anywhere.

Guest Niks10
I doubt that would trigger the AC charging mode - it will just not have the data pins connected. They need to be connected together to trigger AC mode.

I got a cheap 10cm mini to micro cable on ebay and cut one connector open and did a quick but of soldering to create such a cable, but it is all fairly small and fiddly. I have never seen such a cable available to buy anywhere.

The stock cable is one such example.Have not used for data but it charges at 700mA.

Guest wakaru
The stock cable is one such example.Have not used for data but it charges at 700mA.

It charges at 700mA but because of the charger, not because of the cable itself.

Guest kol0bok
It charges at 700mA but because of the charger, not because of the cable itself.

You cannot know that because the description is not accurate. "Power only" might reflect the fact that data wires are missing and that's all. Or it may indicate that the data pins in the socket are additionally shorted. We simply don't know. Some owner of a such cable could find out by testing with a multimeter and a couple of needles.

Guest Schwinni
You cannot know that because the description is not accurate. "Power only" might reflect the fact that data wires are missing and that's all. Or it may indicate that the data pins in the socket are additionally shorted. We simply don't know. Some owner of a such cable could find out by testing with a multimeter and a couple of needles.

I think selling a cable where DATA+ and DATA- are shortened is not allowed by the USB Implementers Forum, Inc. because it can damage your computer's root hub when connecting the cable.

Hence, the "trick" is done in the charger...

Guest kol0bok
I think selling a cable where DATA+ and DATA- are shortened is not allowed by the USB Implementers Forum, Inc. because it can damage your computer's root hub when connecting the cable.

Hence, the "trick" is done in the charger...

That's why I wrote "missing data wires... additionally... in the socket". Shorting them in the plug would be really stupid.

Guest Niks10

Think you are right.

Have used my stock cable with a generic USB Mains charger with 1A 5V output and phone displayes as USB Charging as opposed to Mains.

So the charger probably has data pins missing or something in the stock charger.

Guest shmizan
Think you are right.

Have used my stock cable with a generic USB Mains charger with 1A 5V output and phone displayes as USB Charging as opposed to Mains.

So the charger probably has data pins missing or something in the stock charger.

yeah I tried that too.

but I've also tried a Nokia micro USB cable with the stock charger and it charged as USB.

my impression is that both the cable AND the charger have to be compatible to charge as AC with our ZTE Blade.

how do we find or make compatible charing accessories?

Edited by shmizan

Guest Niks10
yeah I tried that too.

but I've also tried a Nokia micro USB cable with the stock charger and it charged as USB.

my impression is that both the cable AND the charger have to be compatible to charge as AC with our ZTE Blade.

how do we find or make compatible charing accessories?

I guess you end up buying a replacement stock charger or buy HTC Wildfire charger costing 3-4 bucks on Amazon/Ebay

Guest shmizan

I thought about buying the HTC charger, that's why I asked if someone charges with it and gets Charging (AC)

sooooooo... who's using HTC chargers out there?

Guest rowanmoor

The charger has to have the data +/- pins shorted. The cable has to be a data cable that has the data pins connected (otherwise the short in the charger is not connected to the phone).

So, if you use a 'power only' cable it will almost certainly prevent the phone from charging in AC mode as the 'power only' aspect will be that it only has the power lines connected and not the data lines. If you have a cable that does not trigger USB connected mode when used to connect the phone to the PC, then it will not support AC charging with any charger.

It would not surprise me that no-one sells a cable to force it because connecting it to other devices (like the PCs USB port) could cause problems as someone stated. Also, using it with a charger that is not rated at the required 700-800mA required could cause overheating when the phone tries to draw it (it should just draw what can be provided, but given that I have had a cheap charger blow up and fry the phone before, I would not trust a cheap e-bay charger not to catch fire if you tried to draw too much current in this way).

If you have a charger that delivers 1A but does not register as AC charging (and so not draw the full current) and you are confident enough to get out the soldering iron, then the best thing to do it alter it in the charger. That will be easier than trying to work on a cable anyway. Alternatively replace the charger with one that does - they are not that expensive.

If you happen to have a cable in bits like I did, then it is possible to do it in the cable, but you have to know what you are doing, have a very steady hand for the soldering, and be careful what you plug that cable into forever after.

Guest cbredfred

I have one of these:

Boxwave iPad Charging Adaptor

It is wired so that it isolates pins 2 and 3 (Data Lines) from the male connector (which would connect to your charger)

and provides the correct line levels on pins 2 and 3 of the female connector (which would connect to your phone via a

standard USB cable that came with the phone) to tell the phone that "I'm an AC Charger and not a USB Socket".

I have just literally tested it on 10 different wall(AC) chargers that have USB sockets on them, such as an iPad charger,

an iPhone charger, an Amazon kindle charger etc etc and measured the power drawn each time and all 10 will provide

4 watts when the boxwave cable is in between the charger and the normal data cable.

I ordered the cable from the link given and it took only a week to arrive here in the UK from Boxwave in the States.

Hope this is of some use.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Konstipated Kiwi
bought one and I can tell you they DON'T.

Most of the stuff written above has gone right over my head. However, in case it has any relevance whatsoever to the original query, I use my Kindle charger to charge my San Francisco when I am at work and it states "Charging (AC)" (under About Phone --> Status) in the same way that it does when I charge using the one that came with the phone.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest shmizan

I could've sworn the hTC chargers displayed "Charging (USB)" !

so I opened it to solder the two data pins, but they already were.. put it back together and it's showing "Charging (AC)".

beats me..

anyway I did the soldering thing with another charger and it works fine.

it's really easy too.. so anyone with a spare charger and a solder can get it done in 5 minutes (4.5 minutes for the solder to get warm ;))

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Niks10

My understanding is that any Micro USB charger which has 700mA or more output should work for our Blade.

Haven't ordered one, but as I need 2 more extra chargers, I would really appreciate if someone who's bought recently and working as AC Charging, to please post the Amazon/Ebay link.