Introduction and a Wee request for help.

Guest Leonardo_UK

Guest Leonardo_UK

Hi there, I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself. I am Phil, a welding systems designer from North UK. I am also beginning to wonder if I am one of those people who should not have access to modern tech at all!

Bit of background, as far as software is concerned, I was using windows for workgroups 3.11 right up until windows ME came out as I could not handle the complexities of windows 95!. (Even windows for workgroups was a bit of a step outside my comfort zone..... I liked dos and basic!

I am an electronic and mechanical engineer, but stopped any programming of real software back in Z80 days. I do recall that IBM AT's (possibly XT's) had a 'ctrl' 'h' function that took you directly into a hex editor but, that was a long time ago and well it is maybe time to bring myself up to date.

So I bought myself a Vega. I am a little disappointed not so much with the device, it is quite good at what it does. I am more disappointed with the salesman in comet who told me all the things it could do, like downloading all these applications etc. So, I bought it, with a mifi and went home all excited. The problem is, it won't do what the salesman said not without this amazing software update from here...... therein lies the problem

I want to use it as a mobile word processor (letters and reports etc) also I would like to use it to view online video status of the machines I build and also see what I can do as far as accessing PLC code and status managers. All sounds good so far. Once I found the USB port on the side of the vega, I ordered a case with an inbuilt keyboard.....

Well at the minute, I can use it as a web surfer. I can't use the keyboard. I can't even read a USB memory stick!

So, I found this forum, decided to flash my ROM.... (See, even sound like I know what is going on) then failed :D

I downloaded the R8 rom package and I also printed out the step-by-step guide to upgrade your device to the latest official firmware (ROM) using a windows pc. I extracted the file into a new folder on my desktop, I connected all leads and failed to get the thing to power up in recovery mode..... I did the start-up thing by pressing back buttons etc as per instructions. but my Vega sat with a black screen. nothing, I tried it with 2 second timing on the button pushes, nothing. when I power up, it is as normal, but I cannot find any reference to an APX unit in my laptop device manager. The only thing it does is to offer to turn on USB memory. (Aha I thought, now I can read USB memory cards) but no...... it still won't do that either!

I am really unsure as to why everyone else seems to be able to do this, and am assuming I am just a cack-handed tit who should be isolated from any technology above thermionic valves and possibly ferrite core memory....... but iF someone could help I would be very grateful. Also, does anyone know if USB keyboards will ever work with this thing?

Also having read a bit more, I see mention of Vegacomb and so many other things, how do I begin? Do I try them all? (not possible unless I pass step one) :D

Guest derffie

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...omers-it-works/

Thats very helpfull,

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...guides-how-tos/

And that list is just, for me at least the most comprehensive guide list to work with, rememher, the vega is unbrickable! It would have to do some pretty special borkage to fry one!

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

Just reflash the offical image and just take a deep breath, try again, and even again, just stay calm, it will work trust me I've been right where you are, feeling hopeless, but its all here, and its worth the effort, oh, and for the record the rom of choice, in regards to speed, apperance, stability and support would have to be corvus5, which has even had a wicked service pack release, great for a beginner, I'd leave vegacomb for now, best of luck, and come back with tales of success!

Guest beegee1962
Hi there, I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself. I am Phil, a welding systems designer from North UK. I am also beginning to wonder if I am one of those people who should not have access to modern tech at all!

Bit of background, as far as software is concerned, I was using windows for workgroups 3.11 right up until windows ME came out as I could not handle the complexities of windows 95!. (Even windows for workgroups was a bit of a step outside my comfort zone..... I liked dos and basic!

I am an electronic and mechanical engineer, but stopped any programming of real software back in Z80 days. I do recall that IBM AT's (possibly XT's) had a 'ctrl' 'h' function that took you directly into a hex editor but, that was a long time ago and well it is maybe time to bring myself up to date.

So I bought myself a Vega. I am a little disappointed not so much with the device, it is quite good at what it does. I am more disappointed with the salesman in comet who told me all the things it could do, like downloading all these applications etc. So, I bought it, with a mifi and went home all excited. The problem is, it won't do what the salesman said not without this amazing software update from here...... therein lies the problem

I want to use it as a mobile word processor (letters and reports etc) also I would like to use it to view online video status of the machines I build and also see what I can do as far as accessing PLC code and status managers. All sounds good so far. Once I found the USB port on the side of the vega, I ordered a case with an inbuilt keyboard.....

Well at the minute, I can use it as a web surfer. I can't use the keyboard. I can't even read a USB memory stick!

So, I found this forum, decided to flash my ROM.... (See, even sound like I know what is going on) then failed :D

I downloaded the R8 rom package and I also printed out the step-by-step guide to upgrade your device to the latest official firmware (ROM) using a windows pc. I extracted the file into a new folder on my desktop, I connected all leads and failed to get the thing to power up in recovery mode..... I did the start-up thing by pressing back buttons etc as per instructions. but my Vega sat with a black screen. nothing, I tried it with 2 second timing on the button pushes, nothing. when I power up, it is as normal, but I cannot find any reference to an APX unit in my laptop device manager. The only thing it does is to offer to turn on USB memory. (Aha I thought, now I can read USB memory cards) but no...... it still won't do that either!

I am really unsure as to why everyone else seems to be able to do this, and am assuming I am just a cack-handed tit who should be isolated from any technology above thermionic valves and possibly ferrite core memory....... but iF someone could help I would be very grateful. Also, does anyone know if USB keyboards will ever work with this thing?

Also having read a bit more, I see mention of Vegacomb and so many other things, how do I begin? Do I try them all? (not possible unless I pass step one) :D

Hi Phil, I think you mixed up some things. Check out the forum, there are a lot of usefull tutorials here.

As a quick start:

If you want to install R8 ROM package as a starter, you do not need to go into recovery mode. You should have your Vega up and running.

Start Settings on the tablet, select Applications, then select Development and make sure "USB debugging" is checked.

Unpack the R8 ROM package into a folder on your PC. You should see several batch files there.

Next connect the tablet to your PC and start the the 'install-windows.bat' you have in the folder where you extracted the R8 ROM.

If you are lucky, then your PC had installed the correct USB drivers and the R8 ROM will be flashed.

If nothing happens, see YAUDIG. USB driver guides for newcomers. It works!, Yet Another USB Driver Install Guide for some tips and try [bETA] AUDI - Automated USB Driver Installer, Automatically installs the drivers you need to install ROMs to get the correct USB drivers installed.

Another way (not sure if it works) would be to copy the R8 ROM zip file to your SDcard, open Settings on your tablet and go to Software tools. There you find an option to install a new ROM version. Not sure about the details of this, I never did it that way.

Guest Leonardo_UK

thank you all for your advice.

I will look again, I will also look at the corvus 5 system..... Wow, this is somewhat different to the systems I am used to, but I guess that being thrown in at the deep end is the quickest way to learn to swim....

Thank you all again. I will let you know what happens.

Guest simonta

Thermionic. Haven't heard that word in a while. Ex-electronics eng myself (software now) and could spend an evening regaling folks with tales of "spitz und sparken", but they would probably have hung themselves long before I got to the bit where I used a KT34 to stick around 8KV up me right arm.

Anyway, I see that USB devices feature large in your plans so thought I'd drop a little tip in. USB ports can run in two modes. Host, where they, er, host a device and slave where they are hosted. To plug something in and use it, you must be in host mode. And there's the rub. The Vega is in slave mode by default. Rub number 2, there are 2 methods to switch between them.

On the Modaco ROM (which incidentally I don't recommend, old and long abandoned), there is an app which you run to reboot the Vega from one to the other. It's a toggle and flips between the modes.

Corvus5 (highly recommended) and the other "modern" ROMS, are switched during boot up by holding down the back button. They default to slave. This is nice but can be a pain if you reboot and forget to hold the back button. I expect, and hope, that future updates will offer a version with host as default.

Thing number 3. The Modaco way is verbotten on the new ROMs. Using it will result in a trip back here asking for help.

Good luck

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest phil8715
Thermionic. Haven't heard that word in a while. Ex-electronics eng myself (software now) and could spend an evening regaling folks with tales of "spitz und sparken", but they would probably have hung themselves long before I got to the bit where I used a KT34 to stick around 8KV up me right arm.

Anyway, I see that USB devices feature large in your plans so thought I'd drop a little tip in. USB ports can run in two modes. Host, where they, er, host a device and slave where they are hosted. To plug something in and use it, you must be in host mode. And there's the rub. The Vega is in slave mode by default. Rub number 2, there are 2 methods to switch between them.

On the Modaco ROM (which incidentally I don't recommend, old and long abandoned), there is an app which you run to reboot the Vega from one to the other. It's a toggle and flips between the modes.

Corvus5 (highly recommended) and the other "modern" ROMS, are switched during boot up by holding down the back button. They default to slave. This is nice but can be a pain if you reboot and forget to hold the back button. I expect, and hope, that future updates will offer a version with host as default.

Thing number 3. The Modaco way is verbotten on the new ROMs. Using it will result in a trip back here asking for help.

Good luck

Cheers

I don't know I liked the R8 Modaco rom. It is a bit basic and not as pretty as the VegaComb Corvus5 or the Ganborou rom's. I have just installed the latter last night night and I have not had much chance to test it.

Guest phil8715

I live in East Lancashire, and I see you live in Skipton which for me isn't very far. If you want I could maybe come over and have a go for you?

Edited by phil8715

Guest Yogimax
I live in East Lancashire, and I see you live in Skipton which for me isn't very far. If you want I could maybe come over and have a go for you?

That's what I love about this forum - genuine enthusiasts who genuinely want to help others ;)

I wish some other forums weren't as far up their own rear ends...

Guest Leonardo_UK

Wow, I am truly grateful for the help and support.

Special thanks to Phil, I have PM'ed you.... much appreciated

I was giggling about the 8KV up the arm ;) I have seen things like that in the past..... (Once from my lecturer at college <Can't find a laughy face big enough for that>)

Oh, bring back the NCR2020 with 16bit ferrite core memory and read/write heads that were set up using iron fillings and a ruler :P

Once again, thank you all so very much.

Guest phil8715
Wow, I am truly grateful for the help and support.

Special thanks to Phil, I have PM'ed you.... much appreciated

I was giggling about the 8KV up the arm ;) I have seen things like that in the past..... (Once from my lecturer at college <Can't find a laughy face big enough for that>)

Oh, bring back the NCR2020 with 16bit ferrite core memory and read/write heads that were set up using iron fillings and a ruler :P

Once again, thank you all so very much.

Hi, Can you please pm me your details again?

I accidently hit delete instead of reply.

Guest Leonardo_UK

OK, update......

I thought that with Phil's offer of help, and people telling me these things are unbrickable... (ha, spell check likes that word) I would have a go......

Well two penguins eventually appeared (although they did nothing for a while, that was a minor moment of panic, and then Tron, then lo-and-behold.......

IT WORKS!!!

Phil, I will still take the opportunity to meet and also learn from the knee of a master, but I am bloody chuffed with myself. Also with all of you chaps who told me what to do..... I guess you all deserve a cup of coffee if you are passing my way!

Still got to learn how to tell what mode the USB is in and also practice changing it. Not managed n to get it to work yet.... but that is all.... Just got to set up a gmail account now, and hopefully find a nice Free little word processor programme and get the keyboard working (external one, that is)

Once again, I really do appreciate all the comments and thank you all most sincerely.

I also hope to keep adding things to here as I learn new bits, and also next thing is to set up access to a VPN where I can access the controllers in my machines, diagnose them and also impress the customers with my modern computer savvy..... PS, controllers are running a form of windows CE (embedded) and also I have to persuade the manufacturer to develop android support, or I have to learn how to write an App.... Ah, well, fun days are here!!!!!

Guest Leonardo_UK

Hi there all again......

Hope everyone is OK. Just a couple of quick questions if I may.

I am still struggling to get the USB working on my Vega at the minute. I have tried holding the back button when powering up, but that does not work. Could someone give me a little guidance on that please?

Also I have shown the Vega with corvus5 running to my software chap who writes the code for my systems.... ha, he has an IPAD and is somewhat jealous of my little Vega. So thank you to everyone for that.

Also I seem to find that sometimes the auto rotate does not seem to work, and I can only use the system in a portrait mode, not landscape, even though auto rotate is turned on.... is that something I am doing wrong?

I am now battling to try and get a gmail email addy sorted so I can browse the market.... this is proving to be somewhat of a pain, as it still insists on telling me I have no android device associated with the account....

Anyhow, I am working hard to stop being such an incompetent when it comes to software and apps.... so please give me a little time to get my head around this. I am just trying to get a remote desktop sorted as we speak, and hopefully that puts me in the position of being able to leave one of my laptops at home on my upcoming trip.....

Fingers crossed eh?

Cheers all

Guest Leonardo_UK

OK, got market sorted..... bloody hell, I am getting good at this ;)

Does anyone know of a good free word processor programme (sorry, app) preferably free :P

Guest flip.c

Hi Leonardo_UK

Regarding a Word Processor, I currently use the on in Quickoffice Pro. It isn't free (-£6 I think) but works OK.

Google Docs is free, but I prefer the WP in QuickOffice, because as far as I can tell Google Docs was only editing line by line (?!)

Dropbox is handy for uploading documents etc. and then being able to access said documents by another machine with dropbox also installed.

There's an app for that (heard that before!) on Android Market and a Program for your PC on the Dropbox website.

Did you get your USB Slave/Host problem sorted out?

Phill

Guest Leonardo_UK

Hi Flip,

I think I shall have to pay the £6 and try the quickfire.......

Still struggling to get the USB sorted. I have tried to change the USB mode, and currently have not succeeded.

I must be doing something stupid and wrong, but I just do not seem able to persuade the system to use any USB device.....

any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers all

Guest beepo666

I just finished a two year contract working on web services linking to .net compact framework 3.5 (Windows Mobile stuff) - If you want to bounce ideas around regarding integrating into that kind of stuff from Android feel free to bounce over a private message. I'm currently running a house building project in rural Thailand though ;)