[TUTORIAL] How to root and install Custom ROMs!

Guest JackG

Guest JackG

NOTE: THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. ALSO, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED/DAMAGED DEVICES WHEN YOU ARE DOING THIS PROCESS. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ARE WARNED.

So you want to root and install Custom ROMs. The previous way to install custom ROMs was to flash a fastboot ROM, but not anymore. I've knew about this method for a while, but never tried it, but I tried it and it works, so here is how to do it.

First of all, if you haven't, update to Android 2.1 either using LG's official update tool or KDZ Updater.

Next, you need to root your phone.. I recommend Z4root, as it's simple, automatic and done right on the device. (For people using the V20C software, please use "SuperOneClick" instead.)

Download z4root.1.3.0.apk from here.

Put the file on your SDcard. Then, using a file manager (for example Astro) or APKInstaller, install the file. Open the app and then select "Permanent Root" Wait for the phone to reboot.

Congrats, your phone is now rooted.

Now, we need to flash Recovery, which will allow us to install Custom ROMs. Download the recovery image of your choice (I recommend that you use ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.1.8 which can be found here.) and put the recovery_clockwork_x.x.x.x_swift.img on your SDcard (Rename it to recovery.img so it is easier to work with.)

Next, install YaffsExpert from the Market. (It's free ;)) Open it and in the first dropdown box, choose "Restore" and in the next, select "Recovery" press "Browser" next to the Operation File field. Select the recovery.img file. Make sure the "Target Device Model" is set to "All other" then press "Operation" wait for it to finish.

Ok, so Recovery is installed, Now we need a ROM to install. Select ANY rom you want, and download it's Recovery version (Either a recovery backup or update.zip) and install it in the normal way.

NOTE: If the ROM you want is only available in fastboot format, take a look at my guide on turning Fastboot images into recovery backups.

Any questions? Just ask below.

Hope it helps,

Jack

Guest marvin027

hi. i follow what your tutorial. i already install the recovery but the problem. every time i open my device it always enter recovery even i did'nt hold the home key. any idea how to exit the recovery?

Guest 80sLoveCHILD

hey

im have no access to a windows machine and i dont have fastboot on my phone. am trying to upgrade to a new rom but it is proving difficult. does anyone have any more info on this process particularly the app mentioned above, never heard of it.

is it possible to flash custom recovery using terminal emulator on gt540? flash recovery recovery.img or similar command?

can anyone offer any other help? irc room?

thanks

Guest Ernoke
hey

im have no access to a windows machine and i dont have fastboot on my phone. am trying to upgrade to a new rom but it is proving difficult. does anyone have any more info on this process particularly the app mentioned above, never heard of it.

is it possible to flash custom recovery using terminal emulator on gt540? flash recovery recovery.img or similar command?

can anyone offer any other help? irc room?

thanks

yes it is. the name of the shell command is flash_image

usage: flash_image partition_name partition.img

Note: you need a rooted phone, and use su first.

Guest 80sLoveCHILD
yes it is. the name of the shell command is flash_image

usage: flash_image partition_name partition.img

Note: you need a rooted phone, and use su first.

ive tried that

su

flash_image revovery recovery.img

i get flash_image: not found

Guest Ernoke
ive tried that

su

it should be in /system/bin.

if you dont have it... hmm then maybe its part of the cyanogenmod rom. in this case download a clockwork mod update version of the rom and you can extract the binary file from the archive zip and copy it on your phone. hopefully it doesnt have other library dependencies.

Guest JackG
ive tried that

su

You need to do ./flash_image, like you would do on Linux.

Jack

Guest 80sLoveCHILD
You need to do ./flash_image, like you would do on Linux.

Jack

i cannot get this to work.

i have phoned rooted with z4root and busybox installed. i have clockwork mod img saved on root of sdcard and am using terminal emulator i use these commands

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

apparently i dont have permissions

help please?

Guest Ernoke
i cannot get this to work.

i have phoned rooted with z4root and busybox installed. i have clockwork mod img saved on root of sdcard and am using terminal emulator i use these commands

su

apparently i dont have permissions

help please?

"Not found" is definetly not about permissions. Did you check if you really have that binary installed in /system/bin?

Guest 80sLoveCHILD
"Not found" is definetly not about permissions. Did you check if you really have that binary installed in /system/bin?

i didnt, but i do now. i type my commands in terminal emulator now and i have no errors, just presents me with another command line. i did reboot and tried to enter recovery by pressin home during boot process. but this did not work.

tried several times. just boots up as normal.

i have run out of ideas

rom manager seems to think i have clockworkmod flashed correctly, but i take that with a pinch of salt. is there away that i can check?

Guest thugimmortal
i didnt, but i do now. i type my commands in terminal emulator now and i have no errors, just presents me with another command line. i did reboot and tried to enter recovery by pressin home during boot process. but this did not work.

tried several times. just boots up as normal.

i have run out of ideas

rom manager seems to think i have clockworkmod flashed correctly, but i take that with a pinch of salt. is there away that i can check?

[Q] Is there a way to flash a recovery.img without a pc or fastboot on baltic 2.1 rom

ive tried using yaffsexpert and it says operation successful but when I try to boot phone into recovery my phone just starts in safemode.

Ive also tried using terminal

I copied the Flash_image file to system/bin

I typed into terminal

su

then i get an error saying

flash_image no permitions

any help would be appretiated Im trying to get into a recovery so i can install android swiftdroid 2.3.3 update.zip

Im new to this and need help please

Sent from my GT540 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
Guest sramotylf

Ok, so Recovery is installed, Now we need a ROM to install. Select ANY rom you want, and download it's Recovery version (Either a recovery backup or update.zip) and install it in the normal way.

So what is the normal way?

I installed ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.1.8 using yaffasexpert and now I have a Recovery update.zip I want to instal

How do I go about it?

• 1 month later...
Guest Wayne877

I have a gt540 which I want to use as a mifi. I've tried to follow this post to root and flash CWM to the handset but get stopped at flashing recovery.

I've tried looking for yaffsexpert but can't find it. Is there an alternative available that would do instead.

I've also tried installing manually using terminal editor but to no avail. I think i'd prefer a one click root and flash option if anyone knows of one

thanks in advance

• 7 months later...
Guest Lordofthepinute

Hi guys I am trying to manage a IOS rom to my lg gt540.. but when i press browse ,as you say in your step about YaffsExpert usage , my phone says forced shut down. not the entire phone system . just the app .. so it always stops there.. I cannot continue the proccess .. any ideas ?

Guest Lordofthepinute

hi. i follow what your tutorial. i already install the recovery but the problem. every time i open my device it always enter recovery even i did'nt hold the home key. any idea how to exit the recovery?

Did you find anything about your problem .. ? Because I GOT THE SAME.