The Monte Carlo hacking topic [update: rooted!]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hecatae

It wasn't easy to root this device as Orange have locked it down somewhat. Non of the standard exploits worked and without root initially on the device it's not possible to pull the boot.img. The boot.img needs to be extracted and rebuilt with root enabled and security disabled, the you can remount the system partition R/W and push Superuser to provide full root.

Anyway Paul managed to find a solution to this. The best thing is it has allowed him to produce a simple method for people to use. This guide should be up tomorrow along with the required files.

Would an image.bin update image in the image folder on the sd card be the way forward on this?

Guest unrandomsam

sim unlocking has nothing to do with rooting. the blade unlocker apparently doesn't work on skate.

Could try replacing the files from gsf (reason why the custom roms are unlocked anyway is just don't check the simlock).

Guest lordjubblydave

Paul, if you are planning on releasing a MCR for The skate, could you try and include that orange wifi boost app, I noticed it is hot open sauce and I feel it is a pretty cool feature.

Thanks

Guest todoleo

I now have an Orange Monte Carlo and would be happy to try rooting/getting an image dump with appropriate instructions.

Feel free to message me to guide me through the process.

Guest unrandomsam

I now have an Orange Monte Carlo and would be happy to try rooting/getting an image dump with appropriate instructions.

Feel free to message me to guide me through the process.

Try putting it into download mode (hold on both volume keys at once)

Then dump the radio stuff using QPST

Or you could probably use the V880 tool.

Guest dj9928

Paul, if you are planning on releasing a MCR for The skate, could you try and include that orange wifi boost app, I noticed it is hot open sauce and I feel it is a pretty cool feature.

Thanks

Having a Desire S with Signal Boost they have been unable to port this feature to other ROMs,

Guest sej7278

Zipping and uploading now (:

EDIT: Here it is http://www.mediafire...1ntkgppgqcldu95

nice one! in case you're interested, i've extracted and attached the kernel config.gz from that.

interesting bits:

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE is not set

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE2 is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA_PANEL is not set 

config.gz

Edited by sej7278

Guest MoreLazers

nice one! in case you're interested, i've extracted and attached the kernel config.gz from that.

interesting bits:

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE is not set

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE2 is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA_PANEL is not set 

So there's some coding similarity to the Blade? I'm a total phone noob lol.

Guest sej7278

So there's some coding similarity to the Blade? I'm a total phone noob lol.

looks like recompiling 2.6.35 from source (when we get it) should be simple enough for the blade - i.e. just set those options.

oddly enough they're pretty different from the gingerleak settings, which does tend to backup the zte guy who said the leak was for skate not blade.

anyone gone mad and tried to boot the kernel from the skate directly on the blade? :D

stirfry_config.gz

Guest MoreLazers

looks like recompiling 2.6.35 from source (when we get it) should be simple enough for the blade - i.e. just set those options.

oddly enough they're pretty different from the gingerleak settings, which does tend to backup the zte guy who said the leak was for skate not blade.

anyone gone mad and tried to boot the kernel from the skate directly on the blade? :D

I would try if you instructed me, but my Blade was nicked last weekend at a festival, that's why I got a Skate lol.

Guest sej7278

I would try if you instructed me, but my Blade was nicked last weekend at a festival, that's why I got a Skate lol.

i've moved to blade forums so we don't go too offtopic, mods can delete my posts if required to clear up the topic.

Guest MoreLazers

that is orange stock right, not paul's rom? as it seems to have superboot/superuser in it.

I installed Paul's Superboot and Recovery before dumping it, I don't know how to take them out of the rom.

Guest sej7278

I installed Paul's Superboot and Recovery before dumping it, I don't know how to take them out of the rom.

don't worry about it, just so we know. cheers.