Battery Life when Switched off?

Guest RockVacirca

Guest loui1986

I have the same thing happening to my advent vega (although it does not bother me) but if you read about rechargable battery units (so any rechargable batteries full stop) they do tend to have slow leaks, even on my energiser batteries for the wii! (btw definately get the wiimote app for android, it's epic)

I have noticed that if you regularly allow the battery to discharge to 10% or lower, and use a different power-source (I use a Trust Netbook power supply with a custom jack) then the battery does hold it's charge much more reliably. Also The advent vega has amazing battery life if you are careful how you use it!, watch which apps are running in the background as I think they sap the power from the device and cpu power control only kicks in after the device has booted (although this is pure supposition)

Guest warwound

Here's an idea for those still wondering if something is eating away at their battery while the Vega is supposedly asleep.

Install a log viewer such as Log Viewer Lite.

Set it to save all android logs to file and put your Vega to sleep.

Give it as much time as you feel is right!

Now awaken your Vega and take some time to look through the logs.

You might find something that's using battery power that can be uninstalled or disabled...

warwound.

Guest phil8715

Please let us know how you get on with that becuase i was hoping that with a new rom and kernel it would dissappear but it seeems to be a hardware fault

Got a response from the CEO Office at DSG.

I can either get a refund on my Vega or an exchange. I am trying to wangle an exchange plus £50 for a Packard bell Liberty Tablet PC with Honeycomb pre-installed.

Guest omniajet13

Got a response from the CEO Office at DSG.

I can either get a refund on my Vega or an exchange. I am trying to wangle an exchange plus £50 for a Packard bell Liberty Tablet PC with Honeycomb pre-installed.

deos this mean that they acknowledge that there is a hardware fault then?

Guest phil8715

deos this mean that they acknowledge that there is a hardware fault then?

Not really, I think they probably do it on a case by case basis.

I went to PC World and got a refund, they didn't have the Packard Bell Liberty Tablet, to be honest they didn't seem to have a big selection in at all.

So I had a wander round town and I went into CPW and I saw a Arnova 7 tablet which ran Gingerbread but only had a 600MHz processor, so I didn't bother.

I thought I saw earlier a Samsung Galaxy Tab for £161 but I couldn't find it, I used the iPad which happened to be connected to wifi but couldn't find it.

Went home and searched again, I must have been seeing things. I ended up ordering a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" P1010 wifi for £250.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am seeing exactly the same issue and just assumed it might be Vegacombe 8.1, I have tested this a few times now and have fully wiped the battery stats in clockwork. At first I though the battery was duff so fully charged it too 100% turned it on and then turned the unit off by holding power button for 6 seconds, left it for around a day and started it back up still on 100%.

I used it for a bit battery around 90% did the same again 6 sec turn off, tried it next day still 90%. Used it a bit more until it hit 68%, turned it off 6 secs again. Turned it back on 20 mins later battery showing 38%!. This has happened on 3 occasions now, every time I turn it off around 60% is loses half the battery. The battery then seems to lose power as normal which is annoying.

I am wondering has it really lost that battery power or is it a fault with the rom, I was going to try the original stock rom again and reset battery stats to see what happens around the 60% mark.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vansphone

EDIT After typing this I contacted Advent technical support (knowhow.com) and they told me that on standby (with the stock rom) it should last 6 days or have 6 hours continues use. My Vega is going to be picked up and repaired, I assume a new battery.

I am having a similar problem. I have not done any detailed research but for what it is worth this is my experience

I have had my Vega for 6 months and used a number of ROMs. I quickly got into the habit of leaving it on charge every night. The Vega might actually make it through two days of use but I thought why risk it shutting down, so I charged it every night. My experience suggested that I could only get two or three hour use out of the Vega before it needed a recharge.

By chance (a very low eBay offer) I bought an Asus Transformer. So I have not been using my Vega much over the last two weeks. It has been running VC 3,2B8. I found that if I fully charge it and then just leave it for 2 days the battery is dead. It will not boot. I have not powered down so wifi etc will be working in the background.

Edited by Vansphone

• 4 weeks later...
Guest richufc

I'm having this problem too. I got a Vega last week and flashed the latest Vegacomb 9n update 3 straight away. Its great but this battery issue is doing my head in!

What happens is whenever the battery is around the low 60% mark and I power off (not go into standby) the next time I switch on - even just a couple of minutes later - the battery shows around the the 20% mark and drains as normal from there so its about an hour tops from there and it starts really nagging me to charge it. It seems fine if I leave it on Standby though.

I've tried resetting the battery stats once but the same thing happened. I'm going to have another go at resetting them but this time not fully Power Off until the battery dies. Maybe this will help and I shouldn't get the 60 -> 20 jump then!?!

If anyone knows a definitive way of solving this I'd be really grateful. Because of this issue I'm only getting aroind 3 and a half hours on the battery. I'll let you all know how my 2nd attempt at battery callibration goes.

Other than this problem I am loving my Vega and Vegacomb is brilliant - big props to the guys behind it.

• 2 months later...
Guest penfold77

I'm having the same issue with the drop in battery at 60%. I have left the vega off for just over a week while I was away to find the battery still holding at 80%, however when I used it that night and turned it off at ~60% I turned it on to find it dropped to 18% and then continued to drop as normal.

I initially thought it was a faulty battery but have run WiFi & video's on it checking the battery used and it looks to be fine so long as you dont turn it off at about 60% it works well. But with the drop in the battery resulting in a much shorter battery life, it means the device is a lot less use than I want. I ended up always turning it off as standby used more battery than I realised initially.

Has anyone found any solution to this, is this a software issue or is it just a faulty battery that is causing it.

Guest jameng

I had this problem on my vega, the battery would go down from about 65% to below 20% in an instant, I presumed I had a faulty unit.

However since installing ICS Alpha 2 the battery has drained consistently with no huge drops in percentage.

I have only recently flashed this rom so it could come back again but hopefully this has cured the issue, unless others are having the same issue on this rom too