any takers????

Guest leemain88

Guest leemain88

now we have a excellent rom for our vega's in the form of vegacomb, i was looking for a new gizmo to tinker with and stumbled across the announcement of the HP touchpad being axed.Dixons have confirmed this and are slashing the prices of the touchpad to £89 for the 16gb and £115 for the 32gb.....my question is are any dev's out there looking to pick one of these tabs up at a bargain price and what is the possibility of the beloved android being ported to it???? cheers :)

Guest Cass67

now we have a excellent rom for our vega's in the form of vegacomb, i was looking for a new gizmo to tinker with and stumbled across the announcement of the HP touchpad being axed.Dixons have confirmed this and are slashing the prices of the touchpad to £89 for the 16gb and £115 for the 32gb.....my question is are any dev's out there looking to pick one of these tabs up at a bargain price and what is the possibility of the beloved android being ported to it???? cheers :)

Yeah good luck getting a hold of one ..

Guest dibbles

It might be better to have posted your request in the "General" section of the forum rather than just within the Vega section. That way it is "on topic" and other devs who do not frequent this section might see it and offer a response. :)

http://android.modaco.com/forum/364-general-discussion/

Good luck in grabbing one, not sure what I would do with it even at the price it is offered at.!

Guest Yogimax

Aaaarrrgggghhhh - in my rush to try to get a fire sale Touchpad, I left my vega at work!

Now what am I going to have to play with this evening :(

ps Didn't get one of the mythical beasts either....

Edited by Yogimax

Guest Dave Marchant

I placed an order late yesterday afternoon on the basis I would get a price match or return it. Waiting for order confirmation. There is a thread / forum going over at XDA about porting Android onto it.

Guest IanTurner

Staples had some.

Their website crashed from the load of folks looking for a bargain :lol:

Apparently there is a development team looking at porting Android Gingerbread to the touchpad but their

wikipage lists the developers as zombies so I assume they need brains as they say the developers don't

know who they are yet. Hope none of the vegacomb devs have managed to buy one

Edited by IanTurner

Guest HypoTurtle

not a single one available in Northern Ireland through dixons, currys or pcworld.

Well they are all essentially the same company (DSG) so they would have the same stock.

Been looking to see if they can be bought from the south but no luck on that front either.

Guest rebeldx

i got 1 :) carphone warehouse, my missus went n got there just as it was opening this morning

have 2 b brutally honest ............. it's actually really really good, needs more apps ala android market, n email client is pretty poor, also not being able 2 have shortcuts 2 apps etc on homescreen is a bit of a pain

but the UI is awesome, the display is quality as is the audio ....... everything just works, n works really well

Guest MartzWeb

Well they are all essentially the same company (DSG) so they would have the same stock.

Been looking to see if they can be bought from the south but no luck on that front either.

true, all the same company, but not always the same deals and their stock levels aren't always that accurate, so it's worth checking around. i also checked ebuyer and cpw but no joy.

Guest phil8715

i got 1 :) carphone warehouse, my missus went n got there just as it was opening this morning

have 2 b brutally honest ............. it's actually really really good, needs more apps ala android market, n email client is pretty poor, also not being able 2 have shortcuts 2 apps etc on homescreen is a bit of a pain

but the UI is awesome, the display is quality as is the audio ....... everything just works, n works really well

There's rumours Argos might be dropping the price of the Hp TouchPad maybe tomorrow. I knew they had been reduced in the US, I thought they wouldn't do it here in the UK because places like DSG would rather send them back to HP than sell them for £89.

Looks like they've taken off the DSG website.It's on the Pc World Website but when I click onto the link it just takes me back to the same page.

If I could get one, I would probably sell my Vega to fund one.

Edited by phil8715

Guest simonta

I got to say, I don't get it.

£90 odd pounds on a tablet that received poor reviews, has been shot dead by it's creator, will have no upgrades, bug fixes or onwards support for it's operating system and a very limited supply of apps that can only shrink. About the only thing going for it is there's a faint hope of someone porting Android to it.

Or am I missing the point?

Guest premieral

£90 odd pounds on a tablet that received poor reviews, has been shot dead by it's creator, will have no upgrades, bug fixes or onwards support for it's operating system and a very limited supply of apps that can only shrink. About the only thing going for it is there's a faint hope of someone porting Android to it.

That about sums it up for me Simon :)

Guest mitchb23

Comet have the following statemnet from HP which seems to read they are dropping the hardware but will continue to develop operating system , I'll believe it when i see it right enough.

"HP has made the decision not to continue developing webOS devices. However, the company is deeply committed to the future of the webOS platform. HP is also fully committed to the ongoing support and service of customers who purchased webOS devices. We will honor our product warranties and will continue to provide market leading support via services such as webOS Butler, our free setup support service available to all purchasers of HP webOS products for the first 90 days after purchase.

Furthermore, HP intends to enhance the webOS platform and ecosystem and support, innovate and develop applications that deliver relevant and compelling benefits to the markets in which we compete. HP TouchPad owners can look forward to a continued delightful experience, over-the-air updates that enhance the platform and add functionality and a growing applications catalog."

Guest worto03
simonta, on 24 August 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

That about sums it up for me Simon :)

me too! I've been generally confused by all the hysteria and wondered if I'm missing the point.

me too! I've been generally confused by all the hysteria and wondered if I'm missing the point.

Well, I guess it's a lot of hardware for the money, but I already have a tablet, thanks.