I don't like the Vega, what can I do?

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Hello!

I bought a Vega last Wednesday and took the tablet home all excited. Little did I know that when reviews said the screen was bad, I didn't quite anticipate it to be THIS bad. So, I was wondering, what are my options to return it. I'm aware I can reflash the stock firmware to get it back to normal, pretty much, but what do I need to know to get a return for it? Is it actually possible, having bought it from Currys?

Any information would be incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Guest jonstone

Hello!

I bought a Vega last Wednesday and took the tablet home all excited. Little did I know that when reviews said the screen was bad, I didn't quite anticipate it to be THIS bad. So, I was wondering, what are my options to return it. I'm aware I can reflash the stock firmware to get it back to normal, pretty much, but what do I need to know to get a return for it? Is it actually possible, having bought it from Currys?

I think curry's have a 21 day return policy for unopened goods, certainly for online sales at least, but as you have used it then that option does not seem to apply.

If you ordered it online then you have 7 days to return it for a refund even if you have used it.

If you walked into a store and bought one off the shelf then they are only obliged to do something if the product is faulty which it is not.

You can try taking it back to the store and argueing that the poor screen makes it unusable for you, but I wouldn't hold out much hope on getting a refund.

Possibly the best option would be to stick the latest version of vegacomb on it and then resell it, some people don't like messing with custom roms so you may get most of your money back that way.

I think curry's have a 21 day return policy for unopened goods, certainly for online sales at least, but as you have used it then that option does not seem to apply.

If you ordered it online then you have 7 days to return it for a refund even if you have used it.

If you walked into a store and bought one off the shelf then they are only obliged to do something if the product is faulty which it is not.

You can try taking it back to the store and argueing that the poor screen makes it unusable for you, but I wouldn't hold out much hope on getting a refund.

Possibly the best option would be to stick the latest version of vegacomb on it and then resell it, some people don't like messing with custom roms so you may get most of your money back that way.

Alas, thought as much. Shame to take a loss on it. Thanks anyway.

It truly is an awful screen. The amount of banding in Honeycomb is ridiculous. I haven't seen an LCD that bad in 10 years or so.

Guest winnipeg

Hello!

Other possibilities

If you can spend more money take it back, explain about thescreen and ask to trade up to a Transformer Ipad or whatever – sometimes thestore is happy as they get more money.

If you install multi-touch visualizer and find that thescreen has the touch points jumping about all over when connected to the powersupply and fully charged (Widely discussed in this forum) you have two reasonsto take it back.

Usually I have found if you are reasonable and realistic DSG/ Currys will help you. If you want to return it or change just ask them, That way you have the answer - Direct. ;)

the banding in vegacomb is not a screen issue, it is a software issue that is yet to be fixed.

Oh is it? Hmmm, that's interesting, as I thought it looked really ugly, and there was some screen issues in other roms I've tried. Oh well. Good to hear.

Other possibilities

If you can spend more money take it back, explain about thescreen and ask to trade up to a Transformer Ipad or whatever – sometimes thestore is happy as they get more money.

If you install multi-touch visualizer and find that thescreen has the touch points jumping about all over when connected to the powersupply and fully charged (Widely discussed in this forum) you have two reasonsto take it back.

Usually I have found if you are reasonable and realistic DSG/ Currys will help you. If you want to return it or change just ask them, That way you have the answer - Direct. ;)

Ah awesome. Thanks for that good sir :)

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Guest warriorscot
It truly is an awful screen. The amount of banding in Honeycomb is ridiculous. I haven't seen an LCD that bad in 10 years or so.

Check out other ROMs to make sure its not a specific issue with the rom. But while the screen has fairly poor viewing angles they aren't bad pretty much the same as any netbook in the £200-400 range and on a tablet its not so bad. May be yours is particularly bad which would be a fault in my book they have taken them back because of that in the past.

Guest Monleyfish

Check out other ROMs to make sure its not a specific issue with the rom. But while the screen has fairly poor viewing angles they aren't bad pretty much the same as any netbook in the £200-400 range and on a tablet its not so bad. May be yours is particularly bad which would be a fault in my book they have taken them back because of that in the past.

Agreed, my screen is good apart from the viewing angles, so perhaps you have a fault which may qualify you for a refund. What is your Vega like compared to the ones on show? If you can see differences then they can know for sure your screen is duff.

Guest Christian Edwards
Hello!

I did exactly the same last week, I bought it online with the leather case but after trying a couple of custom ROMs I got fed up with the slow response to touch and lack of a home button.

So I formatted the SD card and flashed back to stock and contacted Curry's online, after 24 hours of hearing nothing I took it back to the store and got a full refund.

They did check it over (they took a photo and check no other photos existed) they asked why I didn't like it and if I wanted a different Tablet but were happy with my answers (no home button and yes if I can have a iPad for the same price).

They phoned the online store to check it was ok to take it back but it's was easy.

Just don't bother with the online returns and take it straight to store.

If you really can't take it back for some reason, you may well get a good price if you put Vegacomb on it and eBay it.

Some people really will pay extra for the custom ROM ever though it's free as they just can't be bothered to do it themselves, at least that's the experience I've just had with my ZTE Blade, bought for £80 plus £20 credit in March and sold it last week for £75, the guy wanted CM7 on it and wanted me to do it for him, easy money.

Guest phil8715

I did exactly the same last week, I bought it online with the leather case but after trying a couple of custom ROMs I got fed up with the slow response to touch and lack of a home button.

So I formatted the SD card and flashed back to stock and contacted Curry's online, after 24 hours of hearing nothing I took it back to the store and got a full refund.

They did check it over (they took a photo and check no other photos existed) they asked why I didn't like it and if I wanted a different Tablet but were happy with my answers (no home button and yes if I can have a iPad for the same price).

They phoned the online store to check it was ok to take it back but it's was easy.

Just don't bother with the online returns and take it straight to store.

If you really can't take it back for some reason, you may well get a good price if you put Vegacomb on it and eBay it.

Some people really will pay extra for the custom ROM ever though it's free as they just can't be bothered to do it themselves, at least that's the experience I've just had with my ZTE Blade, bought for £80 plus £20 credit in March and sold it last week for £75, the guy wanted CM7 on it and wanted me to do it for him, easy money.

You said in your post that you got an iPad as a direct exchange? Did you have to pay any extra?

As I have had problems with mine and want to either try and get a swap for something else or a refund.

Guest Christian Edwards

You said in your post that you got an iPad as a direct exchange? Did you have to pay any extra?

As I have had problems with mine and want to either try and get a swap for something else or a refund.

No they asked if I wanted to try something else, I said I'd love a iPad as a Joke, because most of the other tablets they sell in PC world are twice the cost of the Vega.

Just get a refund, PC World/ Curry's have a 21 day returns policy so as long as you return it to Stock and put it nicely back in the box you'll have on trouble, then wait for the Amazon Tablet.......

Edited by Christian Edwards

Guest phil8715

No they asked if I wanted to try something else, I said I'd love a iPad as a Joke, because most of the other tablets they sell in PC world are twice the cost of the Vega.

Just get a refund, PC World/ Curry's have a 21 day returns policy so as long as you return it to Stock and put it nicely back in the box you'll have on trouble, then wait for the Amazon Tablet.......

I've had mine more than 21 days and I am on my 2nd Vega. Mine has a fault that can't be rectified the battery drains from around the 60's right down to 23% while switched off.

Guest Minimonkey

I've had mine more than 21 days and I am on my 2nd Vega. Mine has a fault that can't be rectified the battery drains from around the 60's right down to 23% while switched off.

Full charge/battery stats reset not work?

Guest phil8715

Full charge/battery stats reset not work?

Nope they don't. I will probably sell it and buy an AndyPad or try and get a dirt cheap gen1 iPad 16gb wifi.

Guest Monleyfish

Nope they don't. I will probably sell it and buy an AndyPad or try and get a dirt cheap gen1 iPad 16gb wifi.

I must have been so lucky with Vega, running 8.1 no screen probs and everything is sooo fast. Had to fix a friends laptop yesterday 1.66ghz Celeron, 1 gig of ram, made me realise how good my Vega is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only had mine for a few days and think I may be returning it, solely for the poor screen. Even standard quality YouTube videos/iplayer shows are fairly pixelated.

If this unit had a better screen, it would be great!

Guest HypoTurtle

I must have been so lucky with Vega, running 8.1 no screen probs and everything is sooo fast. Had to fix a friends laptop yesterday 1.66ghz Celeron, 1 gig of ram, made me realise how good my Vega is.

Same here, no issues of note with any ROMs; not even the dreaded test 43/44 ROMs. (Although mine does go a bit crazy when usb is connected - which could warrant a return.).

I have only had mine for a few days and think I may be returning it, solely for the poor screen. Even standard quality YouTube videos/iplayer shows are fairly pixelated.If this unit had a better screen, it would be great!

Was gonna ask if you could post some pics, but not sure if that'd accurately show the screen quality but personally my screen is fine and HD youtube looks great when I first ran

I thought the screen looked pretty good. Admittedly I haved used other tablet screens extensively and the only downside from my end is that fingers don't glide as well as they do on other tabs, but this issue is appantly fixed by using something like rain-x.

fingers don't glide as well as they do on other tabs, but this issue is appantly fixed by using something like rain-x.

Can thoroughly recommend Rainx. Use it on mine and it makes a huge difference. Mind you, can get tedious as it needs to be reapplied every couple of weeks.