Whats the best ROM for GPS ?

Guest Rooster#1

Total noob here so this may be no use. I just got a sanfran a week ago as my first smart phone and it is still on stock orange 2.1.

I found that the GPS couldn't get a fix at all. Found GPStest on the market and used it to check that it was picking up satellites fine but still no fix. GPStest has a button to clear aGPS data. After doing that the phone finds a fix quickly. I am now using gps without the agps on.

Yes, there still appears to be misunderstandings on this forum about how 'true' GPS actually works. There is talk about tweaks of GPS.conf etc which is really concerned with A-GPS and not GPS itself. True GPS gets time settings from the satellites and not the NTP servers.

The long delay in acquiring satellite fix in a new device is understandable. If one buys a brand new dedicated GPS device such as a Garmin, then the first GPS fix takes ages to obtain. This is because the GPS module has to cache the location of the current 'family' or constellation of satellites. Fixes afterwards are much quicker and depend on how long the device has been turned off between attempts.

My personal suggestion for anyone who 'thinks' there could be a problem with the actual GPS hardware in the phone would be to turn off anything associated with A-GPS such as 'mobile data' and wifi. Then after obtaining the first fix, try again within a few minutes and see how quick the fix takes then.