Orange San Francisco - back to original stock ROM - but no APN edit allowed?

Guest Neil_C

Hi All

My first post here, but I'm desperate to get my phone working on data again!

Last night I managed to flash to the Swedish ROM rsl 5 but I had no data connection to Talkmobile when I'd finished. All the APN settings are greyed out and I can't actually select one.

This morning I have re-flashed to the Stock ROM rsl 9 (without Orange apps) but same problem, I can call out and sms it seems but I can't use 3G or even G.

It's as if I've been barred from making changes.

I can add an APN but I can't select it, tapping on it just brings up the "edit" screen.

Help!

Neil :-(

Guest Paul Shirley

Try the 'Reset to defaults' menu in the APN settings (hit the Menu button...), that might fix it.

Otherwise I suspect you didn't wipe fully enough and it's likely to bite you in other ways even if you fix this.

wiped everything in clockwork recovery - even advanced parts.

re-applied the stock rom file. Got stuck on green android for longer than 6 mins. So have removed battery, wiped cache and factory defaults, rebooted just on green android again.

:-|

Hi All

I have downloaded "APN Manager", this seems to have been able to edit one of the Talkmobile PAYG APN entries that were greyed out on the phone. This has enabled me to enter the Talkmobile Pay Monthly information and save it. This is what is selected now on the phone. I switched off WiFi and immediately the G symbol came up (whereas before it was not there). I am now testing with my Gmail app and so far it has changed to H and E, so I assume that 3G+ is not available in this area.

Neil :-)

Guest Paul Shirley

I am now testing with my Gmail app and so far it has changed to H and E, so I assume that 3G+ is not available in this area.

H is 3.5G/3G+ so you're good :)

If wiping didn't fix it but an app can edit it, most likely cause is a faulty or incompatible SIM. Similar problems get reported every few weeks on my providers forums. The normal cure is replacing the SIM. While it's working there's no hurry to fix it but there's always a risk it will fail again.

It might be worth heading to a shop and asking them to try another TalkMobile SIM in the phone to confirm if its a SIM problem. BTW Testing your SIM in another phone won't conclusively diagnose this problem, these errors don't always affect all phones the same way. If confirmed they may be able to reprovision the SIM over the air or you may need a replacement.