LG: No ICS upgrade for the LG Optimus 2X

Guest PaulOBrien

Way to put the boot in LG.

LG have announced (via an official Facebook post) that there will be NO upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich for the LG P990 / Optimus 2X!

noicsfor2x.png

While this won't come as much of a surprise for 2X owners who are STILL waiting for the official Gingerbread update, it seems like LG as a company should maybe have a think about why people are abandoning their handsets en masse. Personally I still think the 2X is a great piece of hardware and ICS support will come from the community, but it's a pretty big kick in the teeth for the early adopters who snapped up the 2X as the first dual core phone on the block (myself included!).

This also seems to be in direct contradiction to the 18 months of updates Google promised... which LG were supposed to be part of.

Feel free to vent below! ;)

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Another reason I'm happy I just pre-ordered a Galaxy Nexus.

I agree with Paul, a kick in the teeth from LG to us early adopters. I got the O2x on launch day and it was wrapped in promises of software updates... heck it even had it printed on the box!

Never again LG, you've duped my twice (I used to own an "LG Secret" - POS that was too) and now you will never sell me consumer electronics or electrics again... no TV's, phones, fridges or whatever.

LG, you totally blow and suck at the same time.

Guest Richard P.

Last LG phone anywhere near me if I can help it.

Don't want to want a Samsung phone as I think as a company they're getting too big... but I'm no fan of HTC.

Sony (sans Ericsson) perhaps?

Yes, it is really bad from LG. IMO LGO2X is much better hw than SGS2 and i love ita build. But software and support sucks. Ill take a look after some motorola or nexus next time. Hope that samsung will increase hw build quality in the future.

I hate lg for that. I was early adopter an big fan of lgo2x but there wont be LG phone in my pocket when i leave it...

Guest Diskbox

Very sad. First and last LG phone for me too I'm afraid. Next time I'll try a Mororola or HTC in the hope of getting a little support.

I probably speak for a lot here when I say that without the time and effort from people like Paul and the CM guys most of us would have literally thrown our phones away long ago. Thanks for the hard work, it's not said often enough but we do appreciate it.

Diskbox

Guest zippyioa

This is VERY disappointing LG!

I have been a long standing user of LG products and have always recommended them to others.

Along with my Optimus 2x I have 2 LCD TVs, a blue ray player, an AV receiver and a microwave, all manufactured by LG.

As a dedicated HTC phone user the Optimus 2x was the product I needed to switch my phone allegiance to LG around April this year.

Since then, a series of false promises about software updates have left me very unhappy with LG.

The total lack of customer care since I purchased my unlocked SIM free 2x is nothing short of disgraceful.

I purchased what was supposed to be a flagship device with dual core chip and market leading performance as out should remain in the spotlight for updates.

The reality is a neglected, laggy phone which frequently crashes. The UK O2x hasn’t received a single worthwhile Android update since I bought it, yet Samsung, HTC and other providers have somehow managed to keep their phones up to date and are even promising ICS on recent handsets.

The only reason I still have my O2x is because I rooted and flashed CM7, which left me with a usable phone. If it was left to LG, my handset would be permanently stuck on Froyo, hardly right for such a recent handset.

As a consumer I need to trust manufacturers of expensive products to support me and keep my investments up to date.

If LG continue to show such disregard for their customers and products I won’t be purchasing ANYTHING from them in the future. There are plenty more consumer orientated companies out there who offer equal our better products at similar prices!!

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Same for me, won't buy LG again until they realise how useless they are. I got my 2x second hand, in a fairly good deal, but there's aspects that aren't as grand as I hoped. The screen is the right size, as is the x and y dimensions. Shame it's a bit thick, and the battery life's a bit poor. But their software handling is pitiful. I'm glad the CM team will have ICS on it, but that might come under threat from having such an outdated kernel, too.

Guest everett_psycho

I'm a bit annoyed but saw this coming, admittedly I only got mine in August so its less of a surprise. had i bought for a lot more cash on day one I'd be very annoyed at the broken promises. Thank God for the cm team at the moment, them and Paul are making the phone usable and as good as it should have been

To be honest, if it weren't for the community and at Xda-Developers and for Paul here at Modaco, well then, my O2X would suck big time. The crappy software that came with the set froze like hell, not to mention the poor sound during calls , the not-very-loud speaker and how could i forget the camera and it's "nice high quality" pictures. Thank's again Paul and the other hard working guys for doing your best to update this piece of hardware to the newest droid version possible. And yes, i'll stick to Paul's Statement, i'm also counting my missing teeth from the kick that i got from LG. ;) Sure as hell i won't buy another thing from them , as a thank's for their wonderfull support! Cheers from Romania!

My understanding is this is not really confirmed. It all stems from one facebook posting by a support dweeb who may or may not know - but its not the same as LG central saying "no ICS on 2X".

Not that I think it will get ICS, the LG dev team seem to be a bunch of muppets; but it's less certain than it appears.

While LG's stance is despicable, ICS just isn't going to run very well on the P990 with its meager 512MB RAM. GB is already pushing it, ICS would probably be too much for 512MB devices, especially since Google doesn't seem to be doing anything about the excessive amount of apps running as services.

My understanding is this is not really confirmed. It all stems from one facebook posting by a support dweeb who may or may not know - but its not the same as LG central saying "no ICS on 2X".

Not that I think it will get ICS, the LG dev team seem to be a bunch of muppets; but it's less certain than it appears.

The support dweeb's post has now been removed from facebook, and the bad press for LG has spread far and wide round the internet. I suspect they may be reconsidering the initial decision, like they did with the Optimus One and gingerbread.

Still, even if they do update it to ICS, I wouldn't hold your breath that it will arrive before whatever jellied treats google serves up next year.

Guest everett_psycho
While LG's stance is despicable, ICS just isn't going to run very well on the P990 with its meager 512MB RAM. GB is already pushing it, ICS would probably be too much for 512MB devices, especially since Google doesn't seem to be doing anything about the excessive amount of apps running as services.

But it will run on the nexus s that has 512mb and a single core processor? I don't think its a spec problem it's just LG being useless, with GB working on every newish phone with half the specs and yet LG still can't get it to work we are in for a long wait even if they do cave in and do it

YUp..

LG will leave a bad taste for a long long time..

Also beginning to think that the hardware is NOT that good.. (or they really have that inexperienced software staff).

They must be working on workarounds due to hardware-limitations.. And that's not going too well..

Probably a Samsung next, no more LG and their bullshit-promises..

Is anyone good with consumer law, if so perhaps you could construct suitable letters and procedures to follow for us all to return our phones for a replacement, I feel sure when I bought mine, the blurb on the advert said it was upgradeable to Gingerbread)

We still have a good handset, but its more to do with LG's attitude to their customers

Deffo either Samsung next, or maybe a 4S, LG had a good idea with their 3D handset but even thats stuck on 2.2.

Guest Senri Shiki

Is it because they're not paying google to send their update engineers or something? Even the 3D is still stuck on 2.2? LOL I see it not getting the ICS either. Both devices aren't even a year old yet, and it's not like most users bought them on day one of release. Now no more updates, while the warranty hasn't even expired yet? That sucks.

Well next purchase will be Samsung for sure or the next iPhone(depending on the specs ofc). Samsung is like in bed with google so their updates or support should be up there. HTC not so much, google probably harbors some dislike towards them for all the MS stuff and it's just going to get worst.

Edited by Senri Shiki

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.