n00b cannot install apps without direct APK link.

Guest tehwalrus

Guest tehwalrus

Hi all,

Firstly, and most importantly, thanks very much to all who contributed to the ROM for the racer. It's quite quite rocking to have gingerbread up and running on this little thing! :)

How-so-ever... I cannot install google apps, including the market, nor link to a google account - which means I can only install apps by copying the APK to the SD card (which I can't mount by pluggin the phone into my laptop anymore :( ) or typing in a direct URL by hand on the phone.. I can probably live without the official gmail app, but not being able to install a twitter client is killing me.

help in the following would be much appreciated:

1) installing google apps

2) linking to a google account

3) having a "oh, you plugged me in, shall I mount the SD card?" prompt.

many thanks.

Guest tehwalrus

http://raceroms.co.u...y/5-google-apps

Flash the

Google Apps Modded 20110828

Through recovery reboot and report back if it works

reporting back, mission failed.

because, the following:

1) in order to use the bundled ClockworkMOD ROMManager, you must flash the recovery bootloader again - BUT since it's the standard Cyanogen app it doesn't have the ZTE Racer model in the list, and I am not tempted to brick my phone by installing a dud bootloader.

2) you can't manually flash the ROM using the existing bootloader, because the bootloader cannot detect the action of the resistive home button (and thus you cannot persuade it to DO anything...)

Now, I shall next be installing the custom ROM manager that I used in the first place to see if that works (by working in the first place) - but I am skeptical as to the outcome.

Guest tehwalrus

(before we start, remember my objective here is to apply the google apps ROM linked to by kman12041)

Now, I shall next be installing the custom ROM manager that I used in the first place to see if that works (by working in the first place) - but I am skeptical as to the outcome.

hmm. I don't seem to have installed a custom ROM manager via laptop after all; I must have just downloaded it straight on the phone. helpfully, I cleared my downloads folder earlier, having thought "won't need that lot again". nice. What did I do earlier, does anyone know whether there is a custom version of the clockwork mod "RecoveryManager" app for the Racer, and if so where I will have found it?

To clarify what I've tried here:

• Cannot install any new ROMs, whether patch updates or whole system restores, because neither ROM Manager nor Recovery(Manager) will play ball with Sebastian 404's recovery from here
  • Cannot install a new recovery, because Racer is not in the list of supported models,
  • Cannot use the installed and otherwise working recovery to do anything manually because the "home" key doesn't work when booted into recovery mode.

so... can't do anything. Is there any automated way to do things by using the "update.zip" filename? do I press the volume up instead of down key? do I need to use debug console over USB?