Reboot Cycle

Guest rbnfrance

Guest rbnfrance

Hi,

I have my new Galaxy I9100 and was in the process of installing a custom ROM. I now have a few problems. The main problem is that Clockworkmod does not read my sd card, it just says no file found whenever i select a folder, in fact it does not even seem to read the folders as they are all different form my sd card. It seems to be reading something internally. The phone is also stuck in a reboot loop, so I am trying to find a ROM which can be used through ODIN (such as Lite'ning) but I live in china and can't access megaupload which is where you have to download all these things from. Even the stock rom is downloaded from megaupload.

Can I get clockworkmod to read my external sdcard?

Will installing a custom rom with ODIN solve the boot issue?

Does anyone know anywhere I can dowload these things from except megaupload?

Many Thanks,

Robin

It sounds like a bad flash. I can help you to upload to your preferred online storage site.

Here's what you need to do, get official rom and flash it through Odin, after it reboots, dial *2767*3855#. It'll wipe everything on your phone as well as internal sdcard. Then flash chainfires CF root kernel then put whatever custom rom you prefer. You should be good to go.

Guest rbnfrance

It sounds like a bad flash. I can help you to upload to your preferred online storage site.

Here's what you need to do, get official rom and flash it through Odin, after it reboots, dial *2767*3855#. It'll wipe everything on your phone as well as internal sdcard. Then flash chainfires CF root kernel then put whatever custom rom you prefer. You should be good to go.

Thanks for your help already. Do you know where I can download the official rom (not megaupload)? Quite a few sites are blocked over here as we have the 'great firewall of china'! so this may be difficult.

Also, I have just finished downloading the 'lite'ning' rom. can I just flash that through Odin or does it need to be the official Rom.

Thanks once again.

Thanks for your help already. Do you know where I can download the official rom (not megaupload)? Quite a few sites are blocked over here as we have the 'great firewall of china'! so this may be difficult.

Also, I have just finished downloading the 'lite'ning' rom. can I just flash that through Odin or does it need to be the official Rom.

Thanks once again.

i have never tried lite'ning roms before, Gary's ROM only :D but if it's a lite version of stock rom then you should be fine. but you need to dial *2767*3855# after flashing to wipe out any potential problems. then you'll be good to go.

dose 4share work for you there? i remember that 4share used to work in china, but it was a long time ago.

Guest rbnfrance

i have never tried lite'ning roms before, Gary's ROM only :D but if it's a lite version of stock rom then you should be fine. but you need to dial *2767*3855# after flashing to wipe out any potential problems. then you'll be good to go.

dose 4share work for you there? i remember that 4share used to work in china, but it was a long time ago.

Damn it....No it doesn't. Very annoying not being able to get on to facebook, youtube, etc. I will try this Rom that I have, and see if that works. If not, I'll try to find a website that works here!

Thanks for the help.

Guest rbnfrance

Damn it....No it doesn't. Very annoying not being able to get on to facebook, youtube, etc. I will try this Rom that I have, and see if that works. If not, I'll try to find a website that works here!

Thanks for the help.

Okay, I'm a bit worried now. Flashing the lite'ning rom with odin got to about 99 percent and then failed. Now when I turn it on it shows a red android and says software update failed. Not sure where to go next! Heeeeeellllllpppp. I could try downloading one of these roms through a vpn but last time i tried that it took 30 hours and many attempts!

Any Ideas?

Guest Gary Crutcher

Okay, I'm a bit worried now. Flashing the lite'ning rom with odin got to about 99 percent and then failed. Now when I turn it on it shows a red android and says software update failed. Not sure where to go next! Heeeeeellllllpppp. I could try downloading one of these roms through a vpn but last time i tried that it took 30 hours and many attempts!

Any Ideas?

If you can get into download mode, I can upload a stock rom to my dropbox account.

Let me know.

Guest rbnfrance

If you can get into download mode, I can upload a stock rom to my dropbox account.

Let me know.

Many many thanks for all the help. I have now found a forum which says that you cannot use normal Roms on a chinese version of the phone. I would like to use your version, but do you know anything about these. We are into the realms of stuff i do not understand!

"This Chinese firmware has a different format, i.e. there are no CSC, MODEM and CODE tarballs. Instead there is one single tarbar containing the following files boot.bin, cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin, param.lfs, Sbl.bin, zImage

Edited by rbnfrance

Guest Gary Crutcher

Many many thanks for all the help. I have now found a forum which says that you cannot use normal Roms on a chinese version of the phone. I would like to use your version, but do you know anything about these. We are into the realms of stuff i do not understand!

"This Chinese firmware has a different format, i.e. there are no CSC, MODEM and CODE tarballs. Instead there is one single tarbar containing the following files boot.bin, cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin, param.lfs, Sbl.bin, zImage

Actually, the stock ROM I am uploading now has just those files in it. It is an older ROM - XXKI8, but at least you will get to the homescreen.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Thanks. Could I refer you to this thread. Many people are having this problem, but it looks like you might know how to solve itsmile.gif

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1192575

Cheers

Well, from reading the forum above, it seems you can install CWM then reboot into recovery and install any custom rom without sbl and boot.bin.

You might want to try this or flash this ROM I just uploaded. XXKI8 ROM

SInce I uploaded the file after seeing your link, you will need to remove 3 files from the .tar file you unzip it.

Remove: sbl.bin, boot.bin and modem.bin

After remove the MD5 at the end of the filename. You should end up with just a .tar extention to the filename.

Now flash in Odin.

Here are the 2 methods from the forum:

First way is to install Clockworkmode recovery, is very easy, you can do it with odin, i dont know exactly why, but if you install this clockworkmod, the Odin don´t fail, it installs it very nicely without any errors, even after restart you get you phone working again without any problems, but when you enter into the recovery mode (volum down+action+power) you get a very nice and advanced flash and backup menu.

From this very menu you can flash any clockworkmod rom that you like, i installed the DarkyROM2_XXKH3_Base_R2.zip rom without any issues, and after restart i get the fully working western firmware WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

Very nice in deed but i wanted a clean western version, so i keep looking.

2 This method is fairly more simple.

I just got the I9100XXKI3.rar and from CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.m d5 with total commander, removed the files that manages the bootloader, that being (boot.bin and sbl.bin i think), anyway you end up having just cache.img data.img factoryfs.img hidden.img params.lfs and zImage

p.s: Looks like the modified bootloader from china also locks the modem.bin for chinese, so if you have it you have to remove it too.

After you erase those files from the .tar.md5 you have to rename the file extention, removing the .md5, so the filename would be CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar i dont know exactly why, but if you leave the .md5, Odin checks .md5 checksum and as we modified the file it will fail so i dont continue to flash, but removing .md5 he upload the files without problems.

After you do all this, you flash it with odin the CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar file only, without the Modem.bin part as it will fail in that phase as is region protected too.

After that you got the western firmware with 2.3.5 kernel, but with the modem binary that you already got on the phone. This hasnt presented any issues for me, and the rom works like a charm. I already got updated of my software thourhgt market, buying some apps, customize locale weather, etc all the things that the chinse rom can.t

The only thing is that as the modem.bin can´t be flashed you have a yellow mark on the boot up when you turn on the phone, but that´s it.

Until someone figure it out how to hack the bootloader to install the generic one, this is the best we can do.

I really hope this helps anyones has i got stock with this for a week now, thinking that my phone was full of blocking s*** i leaves me a worrthless android phone.

And judging by the amount of people asking for this, i think it will help some fellows who has chinese hardware i9100.

Good luck to you all.

P.S: Please forgive my poor english, but i a m a latino man, colombian fellow who´s primary language is spanish

I just figure it out that if you have sucess flashin anything with odin, you unbrick your phone.

For example if you flash the genuine chinse modem.bin only it will unbrick the phone, the same happens with anything that you sucesfully flash, if will make your rom useable again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest rbnfrance

Hi,

I have managed to overcome a few problems. Firstly I have got clockworkmod working, and it can access my sd card. Second, I put the cognition rom zip file, and successfully installed it. Now the phone just gets stuck in a loop when booting it. Did I need to remove anything out of the file first or should I do something different?

Well, from reading the forum above, it seems you can install CWM then reboot into recovery and install any custom rom without sbl and boot.bin.

You might want to try this or flash this ROM I just uploaded. XXKI8 ROM

SInce I uploaded the file after seeing your link, you will need to remove 3 files from the .tar file you unzip it.

Remove: sbl.bin, boot.bin and modem.bin

After remove the MD5 at the end of the filename. You should end up with just a .tar extention to the filename.

Now flash in Odin.

Here are the 2 methods from the forum:

First way is to install Clockworkmode recovery, is very easy, you can do it with odin, i dont know exactly why, but if you install this clockworkmod, the Odin don´t fail, it installs it very nicely without any errors, even after restart you get you phone working again without any problems, but when you enter into the recovery mode (volum down+action+power) you get a very nice and advanced flash and backup menu.

From this very menu you can flash any clockworkmod rom that you like, i installed the DarkyROM2_XXKH3_Base_R2.zip rom without any issues, and after restart i get the fully working western firmware WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

Very nice in deed but i wanted a clean western version, so i keep looking.

2 This method is fairly more simple.

I just got the I9100XXKI3.rar and from CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.m d5 with total commander, removed the files that manages the bootloader, that being (boot.bin and sbl.bin i think), anyway you end up having just cache.img data.img factoryfs.img hidden.img params.lfs and zImage

p.s: Looks like the modified bootloader from china also locks the modem.bin for chinese, so if you have it you have to remove it too.

After you erase those files from the .tar.md5 you have to rename the file extention, removing the .md5, so the filename would be CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar i dont know exactly why, but if you leave the .md5, Odin checks .md5 checksum and as we modified the file it will fail so i dont continue to flash, but removing .md5 he upload the files without problems.

After you do all this, you flash it with odin the CODE_I9100XXKI3_CL577579_REV02_user_low_ship.tar file only, without the Modem.bin part as it will fail in that phase as is region protected too.

After that you got the western firmware with 2.3.5 kernel, but with the modem binary that you already got on the phone. This hasnt presented any issues for me, and the rom works like a charm. I already got updated of my software thourhgt market, buying some apps, customize locale weather, etc all the things that the chinse rom can.t

The only thing is that as the modem.bin can´t be flashed you have a yellow mark on the boot up when you turn on the phone, but that´s it.

Until someone figure it out how to hack the bootloader to install the generic one, this is the best we can do.

I really hope this helps anyones has i got stock with this for a week now, thinking that my phone was full of blocking s*** i leaves me a worrthless android phone.

And judging by the amount of people asking for this, i think it will help some fellows who has chinese hardware i9100.

Good luck to you all.

P.S: Please forgive my poor english, but i a m a latino man, colombian fellow who´s primary language is spanish

I just figure it out that if you have sucess flashin anything with odin, you unbrick your phone.

For example if you flash the genuine chinse modem.bin only it will unbrick the phone, the same happens with anything that you sucesfully flash, if will make your rom useable again.

Hope this helps.

Guest rbnfrance

Solved. Managed to put stock rom on by removing some of the files mentioned in the above posts. I'd like to say a massive thanks to all those who helped, and to the Modaco website in general.

All the best,

Robin