UNLOCKING: HOW TO PREVENT WIFI MAC AND NVITEMS LOSS

Guest John W

Guest arnoldziq

As far I can tell, the files look fine.

One think is bother me :/ Why you files has a different size than my one. :/

All your files have 157,184 bytes, my one has 156,672 ... Exactly 512 bytes of difference:(

Guest DanielUK

I don't see anyone else having uploaded a QCN file so I can't try restoring a 512 bytes smaller file

I don't know if any of these are relevant, but for my seemingly unusual phone with its bigger QCN file:

• Android version 2.3.4
  • Baseband version P743TB01
  • Kernel version 2.6.35.7-perf+zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
  • Build number OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05

Guest DanielUK

Wifi is now working, but not becuase I did anything different with the QCN file. I ran the unlock again and after seeing that wifi was still not working, I tried superboot to see if uploading the QCN file with root access enabled worked, but when it didn't I followed the unlock process's last step to install Clockworkmod and then installed v3 of the Cyanogenmod. I'm very happy with that - no Orange stuff installed and wifi now works. A wifi MAC address shows, I'm sure it is not the one that I had entered into the QCN file, but it's working so I'm not complaining!

Thank you arnoldziq and tilal6991 specifically and everyone else who has worked on unlocking and degunking the Monte Carlo. I left my HTC Desire on a train last week and the Monte Carlo seems every bit as good, but with a bigger screen, slightly easier to use. I don't notice the processor being slower, I've never played a game or a video.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Wifi is now working, but not becuase I did anything different with the QCN file. I ran the unlock again and after seeing that wifi was still not working, I tried superboot to see if uploading the QCN file with root access enabled worked, but when it didn't I followed the unlock process's last step to install Clockworkmod and then installed v3 of the Cyanogenmod. I'm very happy with that - no Orange stuff installed and wifi now works. A wifi MAC address shows, I'm sure it is not the one that I had entered into the QCN file, but it's working so I'm not complaining!

Thank you arnoldziq and tilal6991 specifically and everyone else who has worked on unlocking and degunking the Monte Carlo. I left my HTC Desire on a train last week and the Monte Carlo seems every bit as good, but with a bigger screen, slightly easier to use. I don't notice the processor being slower, I've never played a game or a video.

Is your new WIFI MAC 00:90:4c:14:43:19? If so, it is determined by nv_4319.txt in CM7.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

As far I can tell, the files look fine.

One think is bother me :/ Why you files has a different size than my one. :/

All your files have 157,184 bytes, my one has 156,672 ... Exactly 512 bytes of difference:(

For some reason (the FTM flasher alters NVitems?), the file sizes of qcn are different in 512 bytes. I think that is why the offset of your BT MAC address differs from mine.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Yes, it is :)

Then you will need to edit nv_4319.txt to get MAC address once you flash another ROM. I don't know why you cannot fix it permanently by editing&restoring QCN. There are a couple of similiar cases reported in our forum.

Guest wrtease

its to do with the battery not being in as it needs power to complete the write process. usb 2 ports nly supply enough power to run .but need the battery in to complete the write or you dont get complete write .its like burning a cd without the finalize.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nick_sub

Thanks very much for this useful thread.

I had the same problem as BustaRhymes+ (see page 1) with the Atlas Server error. I set up the port with the config file but still got error messages when I tried to load the QPST Software Download program (Windows 7 32 bit). After a lot of trying various different things unsuccessfully, I finally got it working by launching it from the Globe icon in the taskbar (right click on the globe -> Software Download). Goodness knows why it worked from there and not from teh Start menu but if anyone else has similar problems I suggest trying that. After that it all went smoothly.

Now it's time to try some ROMs :) Cyanogen first...

Edited by nick_sub

• 10 months later...
Guest azerbaijanman

Hi there everybody, I think I've done something really stupid.

I followed the unlock tutorial, but for some reason only got a .qcn file of 4kb in size. Now I have an unlocked phone that works fine as a phone, but will not connect to wireless internet (which it did before the unlock).

Is there any way to 'rewrite' NV data, or have I ruined my girlfriend's new phone?

Thanks.

Guest razzmataz1478
Hi there everybody, I think I've done something really stupid.

I followed the unlock tutorial, but for some reason only got a .qcn file of 4kb in size. Now I have an unlocked phone that works fine as a phone, but will not connect to wireless internet (which it did before the unlock).

Is there any way to 'rewrite' NV data, or have I ruined my girlfriend's new phone?

Thanks.

Have you tried to restore it anyway?