kernel 2.6.32

Guest pier11

How about that:

<5>[	0.000000] Linux version 2.6.32.9-perf (eclipse@eclipse3) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #3 PREEMPT Tue Nov 22 15:57:37 EST 2011 

<4>[	0.000000] CPU: ARMv6-compatible processor [4117b362] revision 2 (ARMv6TEJ), cr=00c5387f 

<4>[	0.000000] CPU: VIPT aliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing instruction cache 

<4>[	0.000000] Machine: QCT SURF7201A Board

full dmesg got via adb !

Source code:

github.com/pier11/kernel_huawei_u8220

Build Instructions:

wiki

Works (with CM7.2 RC0):

- display

- touchscreen

- keypad

- jogball

- usb: mass storage, adb

- sd card

- wifi

- mobile data network

- backlight/brightness

- sound/mic

- vibrator

- keypad LEDs

- hardware acceleration

- bluetooth

- sensors/compass

- headset

Edited by pier11

Is it start to boot?

kernel itself boots fine.

Android 2.1UK I tested on doesn't start properly - FC. But I'd guess it shouldn't start, as it was compiled against 2.6.29 kernel (?)

kernel itself boots fine.

Android 2.1UK I tested on doesn't start properly - FC. But I'd guess it shouldn't start, as it was compiled against 2.6.29 kernel (?)

I think .32 is better test on 2.2 or 2.3

I haven't see 2.1 is using .29

I think .32 is better test on 2.2 or 2.3

I haven't see 2.1 is using .29

You are right, I might need to try to implant it into twrock's CM6 (android 2.2) and see. (But again it was compiled against 2.6.29 kernel)

Just wanted to use official rom - hence UK's 2.1 - to not fight with "unofficial" android bugs :)

Ideally I think new Android recompilation is needed for 2.6.32 kernel. (Or maybe borrowed from Ascend... Might be time consuming to adjust it Pulse)

You are right, I might need to try to implant it into twrock's CM6 (android 2.2) and see. (But again it was compiled against 2.6.29 kernel)

Just wanted to use official rom - hence UK's 2.1 - to not fight with "unofficial" android bugs :)

Ideally I think new Android recompilation is needed for 2.6.32 kernel. (Or maybe borrowed from Ascend... Might be time consuming to adjust it Pulse)

Yes, you are right, CM is not like the official rom.

I think you can take some rom from the other, just like you mention that Ascend, I think U8150 may help also.

And you can look for the device is using the same CPU like HTC Hero, Magic, etc.

Edited by FunYeg

Great job! Could you post a zImage or boot img? I'd love to try this and that! And again, thank you, high5!

Thanks.

That's zImage-U8220-2.6.32-v0.02

Beware, it's in very early stages of development. Refer to post#2 for what works (not much).

It doesn't loop,

Android UK2.1 stops on FC with 'Process system is not responding.'

Weird, but it doesn't want to boot properly unplugged from usb - afraids to be in wild :)

It'd be helpful if one try to run some Android 2.2 compiled against 2.6.32 kernel (not against 2.6.29 as all our roms). For example Ascend Froyo ...

Edited by pier11

played with Huawei's 2.6.32 U8150 kernel sources - wanted to run this version too to see if more stuff will work. Patched to make it compiled for our chipset - MSM7200A. (Those MSM7X27 trees don't regard our chipset)

But no luck - doesn't load at all, no kernel messages...

Then started to transfer parts from this successful kernel. Ended up with mutant:

- board replaced (arch/arm/mach-msm/*)

- all drivers replaced (drivers/*)

Started to load fine after that.

But that beast loads even further! I see for a couple of secs Android's unlock screen with home wallpaper! (UK2.1)

Then it reboots entirely.

Something to investigate...

Edit:

narrowed down issues to:

- board itself (arch/arm/mach-msm/board-halibut.c)

- "videocard" (drivers/video/msm/*)

Edit2:

Figured issue with board-halibut.c - platform_device structure without dev/msm_handset_platform_data

Now original board-halibut.c loads just fine.

Edit3:

Fixed issue with jogball GPIOs which prevented it to load and it also disabled some keys on keypad. Plugged in keypad and jogball.

No luck with touchscreen on this kernel either...

So to summarize - I can boot now patched Huawei's U8150 2.6.32 kernel all the way to Android unlock screen with home wallpaper on the background. Then all restarts.

Edited by pier11

Guest rangeoshun

I also had time to try it on the current CM7, just for fun, and itt seems to boot up fine, but after the kernel boots, it restarts inmediatly can't even see the android loading screen. I'll have time this evening, I'll get a dmsg out of it!

Interesting development with U8150 Kernel, I'm experimenting with.

That issue causing phone only boot properly while connected via USB looks is due to usb drivers. I hacked them initially to switch back to "usb function" as in 2.6.29 kernel to obtain adb. While default usb system in 2.6.32 msm kernels is "usb gadget". I had no luck with the latter.

So decided to turn off usb drivers at all and see. Now:

- phone boots fine unplugged from usb;

- It doesn't reboot in android!

- (obviously no usb :)

Now it complains on empty battery (not true) and forcefully shuts itself down. But I've been behind unlock screen already :)

Need to add battery support...

pier11, amazing!)) please upload kernel if you can)

And your custom kernel compatible with huawei u8230 or not? I try to boot previous kernel.. but it not successfuly..

It seems boot normal (Linux logo is displayed) after a few seconds phone restarts immediately and I cant even see android loading...

sorry for bad english=)

Edited by zignas

pier11, amazing!)) please upload kernel if you can)

And your custom kernel compatible with huawei u8230 or not? I try to boot previous kernel.. but it not successfuly..

It seems boot normal (Linux logo is displayed) after a few seconds phone restarts immediately and I cant even see android loading...

sorry for bad english=)

If you wish: zImage-U8220-hw2.6.32-v0.03

Beware - highly experimental build:

- no touchscreen

- no usb

Works:

- boots into Android, no reboots

- keypad and jogball

- (new) battery driver

Boot your phone UNplugged from usb, otherwise you will likely get reboot soon after android's unlock screen.

----

As for you questions - yes, I think it should works on U8230, the only internal difference I know of is that U8230 have larger memory.

Edited by pier11

Guest rangeoshun

Hi!

Still didn't have time to test, working like a maniac every day, but the next week I'll have planty! It's good to see someone has the will, the potencial, and the time to develop for this relic :) Cheers!

Edited by rangeoshun

sun lbx, its not that faster or not..

Of cource more speed does not hutr, but development of the kernel is not this.

Now there is a very early stage, do not work most of the phone (touchscreen,usb,can somebody else)

important to solve the problems with drivers is kernel, if all goes well.. and everything should be good))

we can all foget about the problems with custom firmwares

And now on, i could not start kernel normally.. well as the kernel is loaded like, but the stage before android boot never came. I possibly could not properly make boot image.. please tell me to find working kitchen))

sorry for bad english, sometimes uses google)

Edited by zignas