kernel 2.6.32

Guest pier11

Guest rangeoshun

Hey Pier!

Do you know a good boot.img packer/unpacker for windows, or osx? Right now I don't have linux on any of my machines, althogh I would appriciate if you'd a linux version, I might have a live Knoppix cd around somewhere! I only ask, because I do not want to post that I couldn't boot your kerner, until I know it was not my own fault!

Thx!

Edited by rangeoshun

Hey Pier!

Do you know a good boot.img packer/unpacker for windows, or osx? Right now I don't have linux on any of my machines, althogh I would appriciate if you'd a linux version, I might have a live Knoppix cd around somewhere! I only ask, because I do not want to post that I couldn't boot your kerner, until I know it was not my own fault!

Thx!

Hi rangeoshun,

I use linux in fact - latest Ubuntu 11.10.

I used usual linux utils to unpack/pack boot img.

in case here is how I pack boot.img:

./mkbootimg --cmdline 'mem=128M fbcon=font:VGA8x8 console=tty0 fbcon=rotate:1 quiet no_console_suspend=1 rootdelay=20 androidboot.hardware=qcom console=ttyUSBCONSOLE0 androidboot.console=ttyUSBCONSOLE0' --kernel ~/dev/git/msm/arch/arm/boot/zImage --ramdisk ramdisk-repack.cpio.gz --output pulse-2.6.32.img

Err... just gave it a try.

The error was like "invalid boot image header" on the fastboot screen, u8230.

Try to look at your original boot.img in any HEX editor. You will see your original 'cmdline' options there close to the beginning. Try to repack boot.img with that options... Might help...

Guest snowboy.vs

If you have compiled kernel 2.6.32 img, could you please put it here, I gather from the sources can not.<BR closure_uid_j2i05f="2368">P.S. I am a russian, wrote via google translator))

If you have compiled kernel 2.6.32 img, could you please put it here, I gather from the sources can not.

OK, full boot.img: pulse-hw2.6.32_v0.03a.img

As one may know, boom.img contains ramdisk that correspond to android version installed. The ramdisk in this boot.img is from UK2.1 year 2010. And my android is the same - UK2.1 year 2010.

(If one want to be 100% certain - install first stock UK2.1 android from year 2010. And after that, flash my boot.img. Phone is Pulse (U8220) I use.)

You should boot phone with that image:

- with battrey

- connected to usb (PC or charger - doesn't matter).

This way it boots into android just fine and stays there. USB/adb is available this time. No touchscreen.

I figured issue that prevented circulating power/charging events. Now phone understands better when it's plugged to power source. (but crashes when not plugged/unplugged)

Guest rangeoshun

Hey!

I managed to make and boot an .img file from OSX onto CM7. Thanks for the mkbootimg options! But, your battery fix isn't working on it. It boots up just fine, but screams for battery, and restarts. I'll try it on different roms now, and get back to you! My perversion is, to run a benchmark even if it is too early :D

Great progress!

Hey!

I managed to make and boot an .img file from OSX onto CM7. Thanks for the mkbootimg options! But, your battery fix isn't working on it. It boots up just fine, but screams for battery, and restarts. I'll try it on different roms now, and get back to you! My perversion is, to run a benchmark even if it is too early :D

Great progress!

It's good to know that it boots CM7, even if restarts soon after.

It's too early for performance tests. I'm not sure at all that hardware acceleration is plugged in properly for our board.

I'm fighting with usb subsystem. Phone doesn't want to run unplugged from cable when usb is compiled in.

My last upload (*.img) stays fine into android (UK2.1 year 2010). It has usb subsystem, but need to be plugged with usb cable... Adb works.

Touchscreen is my another annoyance. If I set up proper interrupt, it hangs...

Guest rangeoshun

I just tried twrocks latest FTB rom, but the same behaviour as the CM7. BTW, I have a u8230, not a -20, so somebody asked if it would work on it, and I assume yes, I'm only trying the wrong roms :D

I'd send you dmesg too, but I forgot how to obtain the dmesg of the previous boot, so I only see the one after yours. Be a fellow and tell me how to get it please! :)

Edited by rangeoshun

I'd send you dmesg too, but I forgot how to obtain the dmesg of the previous boot, so I only see the one after yours. Be a fellow and tell me how to get it please! :)

./adb shell dmesg > ~/dmesg.txt
Execute it right before phone reboots. But it'll be incomplete. Better run the following while adb is available already and phone is still booting:
./adb shell

su

cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt &

Take it from sdcard.

The latter constantly dumps messages right to reboot event.

You can do the same with 'logcat'. It's android level logs.

Edited by pier11

Guest rangeoshun

Is it possible, that I can't get to adb, but the system boots till the unlockscreen? When I tried it said it's waiting for the device.. any ideas, where and what I might do wrong?

Is it possible, that I can't get to adb, but the system boots till the unlockscreen? When I tried it said it's waiting for the device.. any ideas, where and what I might do wrong?

Which kernel do you use? If from the latest *.img - you should be fine. It has USB/adb compiled in. But if the previous zImage - you are out of luck - usb/adb were not compiled in that image.

if you are reaching android unlock screen, adb should be active already. It starts on very early stages of android load - I'd say even before android's boot animation.

Now that's where I made my mistake! I used the latter, I'll go and extract it from your image and be back!

exactly. I suspect that when you told about battery panic. It was solved in "*.img" kernel by adding battery driver.

Guest rangeoshun

I'm back!

I (actually You!) got it :) The only problem was, that on CM7 I haven't turned on unlock with menu button, so I couldn't get into preferencies, to take a pic.

All in all they went OK, as far as I can tell!

+U8230 confirmed ;)

Dmesg via ADB shell

- On Cm7

- On FTB

Cheers!

Waitin' the next one to test! :D

post-793907-0-11350200-1323097499_thumb.

Edited by rangeoshun

All in all they went OK, as far as I can tell!

+U8230 confirmed ;)

Dmesg via ADB shell

- On Cm7

- On FTB

Congrats on successful running! :)

Thanks for testing on other roms! Good to know they boot fine.

Can you please confirm that you also can't loan phone when USB cable is not plugged in? (And phone hangs and reboots when you unplug usb cable?)

And obviously you don't have touchscreen working on either of those roms, right? :)

Guest rangeoshun

Can you please confirm that you also can't loan phone when USB cable is not plugged in? (And phone hangs and reboots when you unplug usb cable?)

Yes, both are present, and yes, the touchscreen ain't on.

Edited by rangeoshun

you would know in this thread if I had progress worth publishing :)

experimenting, but can't pass through some important issues. Something in area of gpio/irq/vreg...

Achieved good progress - migrated USB system from "usb function" type (as was in Pulse's 2.6.29 kernel) to "usb gadget" type (as in all 2.6.32 devices). Have adb via it as well.

It solved freeze/reboot issues when plugging/unplugging usb cable. So as a result I can boot device unplugged. Plug it later, unplug again - no issues I noticed.

Experimenting with CM7, load it to unlock screen - can't pass it - no touchscreen :)

Achieved good progress - migrated USB system from "usb function" type (as was in Pulse's 2.6.29 kernel) to "usb gadget" type (as in all 2.6.32 devices). Have adb via it as well.

It solved freeze/reboot issues when plugging/unplugging usb cable. So as a result I can boot device unplugged. Plug it later, unplug again - no issues I noticed.

Experimenting with CM7, load it to unlock screen - can't pass it - no touchscreen :)

great job man :)

good to see smth nice for the pulse :)

Guest rangeoshun

You could try the unlock screen options, there is an unlcok by jogball or somerthing like that..