kernel 2.6.32

Guest pier11

Linux Kernel -> Android Kernel (AOSP) -> Qualcomm (Code Aurora) Kernel -> Huawei Kernel.

The movement in the article helps merging the first derivation...

Edited by pier11

Guest gold-concert

pier11

Thank you very much for your work!!!

You give the hope that our beloved U8220\8230 is still alive and worthy of attention. Very accustomed to this PDA and do not want to say goodbye to him.

Good luck to you! Watch for your post.

Pleased to invite you to a forum dedicated to devices from Huawei.

Our ADRESS

Edited by gold-concert

possible camera on cm7 ?

From my understanding the bottle neck with camera on Gingerbread 2.3 is that user space (not kernel space) camera libraries don't exist for this Android version for our device.

We have them as I understand for Froyo 2.2 from similar roms. In binary form. (Eclair 2.1 was last official rom for our phone).

The situation is not uncommon when people don't have proper camera libs for Gingerbread, but have for Froyo. So Cyanogenmod Gingerbread have option to use Froyo camera API.

That's the theory. Someone should recompile CM7 this way...

Edited by pier11

Guest DomiTek

From my understanding the bottle neck with camera on Gingerbread 2.3 is that user space (not kernel space) camera libraries don't exist for this Android version for our device.

We have them as I understand for Froyo 2.2 from similar roms. In binary form. (Eclair 2.1 was last official rom for our phone).

The situation is not uncommon when people don't have proper camera libs for Gingerbread, but have for Froyo. So Cyanogenmod Gingerbread have option to use Froyo camera API.

That's the theory. Someone should recompile CM7 this way...

pier11,

And you say like recompile CM7? I'm programmer windows applications, I don't have any idea of recompile rooms for android! You have a tutorial?

Sorry, for my write... I am not english!

pier11,

And you say like recompile CM7? I'm programmer windows applications, I don't have any idea of recompile rooms for android! You have a tutorial?

Sorry, for my write... I am not english!

Something like this But it's for HTC Hero.

Guest gold-concert

It's a shame I can not compile the system 2.3

While not enough experience.

What's left to finish in the kernel 2.6.32?

Edited by gold-concert

What's left to finish in the kernel 2.6.32?

- sensors (gave me issues), bluetooth, kernel space camera drivers, likely redo memory allocation, hardware acceleration;

- clean up my messy hacking and release proper source code;

- later add Ext3/4, possibly overclock.

I think it would be great if we could get ICS!

That would be an achievement!

It'll going to be slow. We don't have much RAM.

It's ported on G1 (same chip) and it's not fast...

Guest gold-concert

I think that a couple of fixes can lead ICS to the less adequate condition.

We have on-board graphics accelerator, and not a bad processor.

I think that would work.

Edited by gold-concert

reclaimed 21Mb of RAM by using memory allocation from our 2.6.29 kernel. Restored status quo.

Very noticeable by the way - smoother UI.

It was "stolen" in .32 kernel tree by keeping our board unmaintained.

Actually I'm very dissatisfied by U8220 memory design. Out of our 192Mb - only about 105Mb is given to linux.

While for U8230 which have bigger memory - 256Mb, available size for linux is about 215Mb. Unfair!

Our memory looks is exposed to linux as 128Mb.

Additional 64Mb is so called stacked memory. Our board tries to put at least something there by using absolute addresses, partially freeing 128Mb...

Dear U8230 users, please confirm, what's your avail/total memory on phone - Settings->About->Mem info (avail/total)

reclaimed 21Mb of RAM by using memory allocation from our 2.6.29 kernel. Restored status quo.

Very noticeable by the way - smoother UI.

It was "stolen" in .32 kernel tree by keeping our board unmaintained.

Actually I'm very dissatisfied by U8220 memory design. Out of our 192Mb - only about 105Mb is given to linux.

While for U8230 which have bigger memory - 256Mb, available size for linux is about 215Mb. Unfair!

Our memory looks is exposed to linux as 128Mb.

Additional 64Mb is so called stacked memory. Our board tries to put at least something there by using absolute addresses, partially freeing 128Mb...

Dear U8230 users, please confirm, what's your avail/total memory on phone - Settings->About->Mem info (avail/total)

phone - Settings->About->Mem info (avail/total) - 151/202 (TXG (CM6.1 mod))

Edited by demiur

Guest DomiTek

Maybe we should start a new thread to gain the attention of our devs?

Yes, I like this idea. But before we have find and post, how to start development rooms..... without support we never will go get!!!

we should have someone who perceives himself to be able to teach

Guest pedrojaime

To use ICS on our phone (U8220) it would have to be a minimalist ROM since Gingerbread already runs slow on it but.. nothing is impossible and I think its just a question of limiting what processes run for it to be useable (would be a really hacked ROM though).

Freezing many processes on FTB (2.1) rom I manage to get 40Mb free memory (of the 105Mb available) when idle. Android memory management is constantly trying to use it all up and hold applications in memory though depending on what I am doing on the phone..

Does someone know the minimum requirements (CPU/disk/RAM) to run ICS? I suspect U8220 is on the limits though with more memory don't see why this could not work on U830.

Google has launched online Android tutorials for those with time on their hands:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Google-launches-online-Android-training-1397023.html

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest sun lbx

www.androidauthority.com/htc-hero-also-gets-ics-port-34812/

if you check the link and read it up, you'll see that the biggest piece of work is already done.

It works SMOOTHLY on Hero.

So...... :)

Edited by sun lbx

Guest martin_mkd

To use ICS on our phone (U8220) it would have to be a minimalist ROM since Gingerbread already runs slow on it but.. nothing is impossible and I think its just a question of limiting what processes run for it to be useable (would be a really hacked ROM though).

Freezing many processes on FTB (2.1) rom I manage to get 40Mb free memory (of the 105Mb available) when idle. Android memory management is constantly trying to use it all up and hold applications in memory though depending on what I am doing on the phone..

Does someone know the minimum requirements (CPU/disk/RAM) to run ICS? I suspect U8220 is on the limits though with more memory don't see why this could not work on U830.

Google has launched online Android tutorials for those with time on their hands:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Google-launches-online-Android-training-1397023.html

they managed to run ics on htc dream, i remember the times when dream developers ported our official rom on their devices, maybe there is something that can help

MEMORY

-------------

SMI (Stacked Memory Interface) - Internal memory on MSM chip.

EBI1 (External Bus Interface) - External memory, like DDR SDRAM.

Pulse/U8220 config:

SMI = 64 MB

EBI1 = 128 MB

U8230 config:

SMI = ?32 MB or ?64 MB

EBI1 = 256 MB

SMI is used by modem (baseband processor), as a shared memory, etc.

It'd be safe to compare devices as U8220 having 128 MB (not 192 MB) of memory (for Android) vs. 256 MB in U8230.

Similar situation with HTC Dreams (G1) and HTC Sapphires (Magics) - there are two flavors in each family with regard to on-board memory.

Edited by pier11