kernel 2.6.32

Guest pier11

Guest pier11

Compiling kernel now with original usb code after some minor patching. Used corresponding Code Aurora code before that for usb, without Huawei changes.

No functional difference, just cleaning up source code to make my patches to original code clearer.

Guest dr.flo

With regard to camera I'm also getting simi-positive results. If on CM6 camera did't even try to start, on froyo stock rom I'm getting:

- image with very weird inverted colors;

- image freezes soon after. So I can't make a picture.

This is interesting... is the image random stuff or really what the camera sees, just in wrong colors? Would be the first access to the camera based on true froyo isn't it?

I found out that the current CM6.1 libcamera.so seems to be the same as in stock 2.1 (I did not compare them, just saw they have the same byte size), so it's an eclair binary.

At the moment I'm trying to rebuild CM7 once again, this time with the above libcamera.so included and BOARD_USE_FROYO_LIBCAMERA enabled. This way it should not compile with the camera stub. But to be honest, I don't expect this to work. It's too simple.

But, what I would expect is the following: Building CM7 with the U8150 libcamera.so and BOARD_USE_FROYO_LIBCAMERA, and running this with your kernel should result in the same "image with very weird inverted colors". This would at least prove that we are using real froyo-drivers...

Guest pier11

This is interesting... is the image random stuff or really what the camera sees, just in wrong colors?

This is really what the camera sees. With kind of color space issues. It also freezes its "translation" (dynamic screen update with what camera sees) soon after start.

I found out that the current CM6.1 libcamera.so seems to be the same as in stock 2.1 (I did not compare them, just saw they have the same byte size), so it's an eclair binary.

With very high probability.

Keep posting on your results - very important stuff.

Guest dr.flo

the new build didn't boot at all :(

it hangs at the A N D R O I D logo... I've waited for 10min now - the previous, unmodified build took about 45s to boot...

How can I debug the boot process at this stage?

Nevertheless, would it help you if I upload that build?

Guest pier11

the new build didn't boot at all :(

it hangs at the A N D R O I D logo... I've waited for 10min now - the previous, unmodified build took about 45s to boot...

How can I debug the boot process at this stage?

Nevertheless, would it help you if I upload that build?

Kernel logs:

./adb shell cat /proc/kmsg
Android logs:
./adb logcat

Assuming it boots to stage where usb is enabled along with adb.

I'm fighting with stock froyo in the moment...

Guest pier11

Figured how to hack stock display driver to make it run. Used one from Code Aurora before. That was the last big chunk borrowed. Now I run only hacked U8150 kernel.

I thought it might help camera color issues, but no.

Guest dr.flo

Android logs:

./adb logcat
it loops around this error

E/AndroidRuntime( 1706): *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: main

E/AndroidRuntime( 1706): java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load library: link_image[1962]:  1700 could not load needed library 'libsystem_server.so' for 'libandroid_servers.so' (link_image[1962]:  1700 could not load needed library 'libcameraservice.so' for 'libsystem_server.so' (link_image[1962]:  1700 could not load needed library 'libcamera.so' for 'libcameraservice.so' (reloc_library[1311]:  1700 cannot locate '_ZN7android16CameraParameters14setPictureSizeEii'...

The problem is in the stock 2.1 libcamera.so (must be, because libcameraservice.so is built from source, it is also the file that has the api wrappers inside, which are enabled by BOARD_USE_FROYO...).

Could you upload your stock froyo libcamera.so somewhere? Maybe if I exchange these, it would boot? Of course it wont work then because the .29 kernel contains kernel drivers that match to the eclair libcamera ????

EDIT: With libcamera.so from the Ascend Froyo ROM it boots. But then it says it can't connect to the camera. Like expected I would say with the .29 kernel. I tried flashing your kernel (fastboot flash boot your_kernel.img - is this how one would do it?), but it didn't boot with CM7.2 like romea already posted....

Edited by dr.flo

Guest dr.flo

pier11, just another thought:

your kernel boots fine with stock u8150 froyo, right (after shrinking system/apps)?

Have you tried if you can also boot the latest unofficial CM7 nightly (dated dec 5, 2011) for the u8150 with your kernel in a similar way? This one is said to have a working u8150 camera in CM7

EDIT: combining

- your latest kernel

- dtox125 CM7.1 rom (which boots with your kernel, as CM7.2 doesn't)

- and *camera*.so binaries from above mentioned nightly

will give me about 2 seconds of preview with totally broken image, afterwards freeze. Can't take a picture before the freeze. After the freeze, phone needs to be restarted in order to open camera again. Sounds a bit like what you get with stock u8150 froyo...

Edited by dr.flo

Guest gold-concert

In the CM6 fasting hang the camera application.

Anegin did tweak and it was working. Maybe we should try another application for the camera?

Or try to put the application camera.apk of CM6 with tweaks from Anegin?

Edited by gold-concert

Guest pier11

pier11, just another thought:

your kernel boots fine with stock u8150 froyo, right (after shrinking system/apps)?

Have you tried if you can also boot the latest unofficial CM7 nightly (dated dec 5, 2011) for the u8150 with your kernel in a similar way? This one is said to have a working u8150 camera in CM7

I should try that...

EDIT: combining

- your latest kernel

- dtox125 CM7.1 rom (which boots with your kernel, as CM7.2 doesn't)

- and *camera*.so binaries from above mentioned nightly

will give me about 2 seconds of preview with totally broken image, afterwards freeze. Can't take a picture before the freeze. After the freeze, phone needs to be restarted in order to open camera again. Sounds a bit like what you get with stock u8150 froyo...

Sounds familiar to what I'm getting on stock u8150 froyo.

So it's rather positive that you are getting some results from camera on CM7 - it was nothing before.

Wondering was BOARD_USE_FROYO_LIBCAMERA in dtox125 CM7.1 and why it's working on Gingerbread :)

Guest dr.flo

Wondering was BOARD_USE_FROYO_LIBCAMERA in dtox125 CM7.1 and why it's working on Gingerbread :)

it wasn't. But as far as i know, BOARD_USE_FROYO_LIBCAMERA only influences how libcameraservice.so is compiled, and I copied this file from u8150's CM7 where the camera is enabled.

So u8150's CM7 has a setup that allows using the u8150 libcamera.so (from u8150's froyo rom) in CM7.

The same libcamera.so that gives you the broken image if you run stock froyo with your kernel.

-> It works on gingerbread, but since it does not really work, even on froyo, for our camera, it's still no solution...

Maybe it would be easier to write a wrapper around our eclair libcamera.so in order to make it really froyo compatible...?

And keep the kernel camera drivers that are currently in TomG's .29 kernel (are those public, I guess they should be)?

Guest pier11

I see, so you're kind of implicitly ported froyo camera compatibility by copying "adopted" libcameraservice.so from u8150.

That's was a nice idea.

I think the issue is somewhere in kernel for that color space inversion/distortion. I should revisit Huawei changes to .29 kernel on that matter.

I'd not appreciate much idea of hacking in eclair layers to gingerbread...

Guest dr.flo

I'd not appreciate much idea of hacking in eclair layers to gingerbread...

That's true of course.

Exactly this is what has happend in CM6 for u8220. It was called BOARD_USES_ECLAIR_LIBCAMERA. Support for this has been dropped in CM7. Likeley because it influences a lot of other files, see e.g. here

Guest dr.flo

Have you tried if you can also boot the latest unofficial CM7 nightly  (dated dec 5, 2011) for the u8150 with your kernel in a similar way?  This one is said to have a working u8150 camera in CM7

I should try that...

Have you tried that already? I would expect this to be a more clean solution than just copying libcameraservice.so as I did. My approach in CM7 only gave me a random preview image, not anything the camera really saw, so I guess there is room for improvements here to reach the state you have on froyo. Most likeley some of the other camera binaries also depend on eachs others version.

Edited by dr.flo

Guest pier11

Have you tried that already?

Not much of success with that yet.

http://pastebin.com/uMZSN2Nr

Looks it can't mount sd-ext for some unknown reason. But the ext2 partition on sd card obviously exist.

localhost / # ls /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 -l

brw-------	1 root 	root  	179,   2 Jan  4 12:55 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
dunno, I can mount it manually:
mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext/
Only version it might try to mount it as ext3 but the kernel doesn't support it:
localhost / # mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext

mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext failed: No such device

Where it tries to mount?

Edited by pier11

Guest gold-concert

Uploaded source code of my port here:

What's working and what is not? Will you finish?

Edited by gold-concert

Guest pier11

So now someone needs to compile a image from sources - right?

see post #113 of this thread for compiled boot image for cm7.1

and of course one can compile from uploaded sources if want so