4 Apr Ir13 (IMM76D / 4.0.4 / CDMA + GSM): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus

Guest PaulOBrien

Find on page issue confirmed, investigating.

Updated kitchen to resolve avast issue.

Still investigating camera issue (a problem introduced by adding 4.0.3 compatability pack!)

P

A third party app installer? why?

just for tweaks.. any apps can be installed anyway but real tweaks such as pauls search button.. only for things that arent wrote into roms.. and i mean in the absolute simplest form.. no settings or other menus.. it would be near impossible considering all of the devices but maybe just for the nexus range or starting from ics??

just for tweaks.. any apps can be installed anyway but real tweaks such as pauls search button.. only for things that arent wrote into roms.. and i mean in the absolute simplest form.. no settings or other menus.. it would be near impossible considering all of the devices but maybe just for the nexus range or starting from ics??

Hmm it works for iOS because everyone essentially runs 'stock' and the level of patches are pretty limited. Also since you can't build and modify iOS from source its the only option.

For Android it could work for stock images, but for custom builds you may not always be able to find the place to patch automatically. I guess you could do a smalli patch or something, but considering how many roms there are, and how much easier it is for the maker to just do it, i don't know if anyone would bother maintaining the patch list.

Look at TrakBall Alert for example. It uses smalli patches and it doesn't recognise a lot of roms. It warns applying to patch anyway could cause a bootloop (crash). That's pretty much the same situation you'd end up in.

Guest alanhsu

just one question, sorry if it's something already covered. does the latest rom work with franco's kernel? anyone using it?

thank you!!!

Yes it does, using it right now.

Let me know your battery life with franco's kernel.

My seemed to be perfectly fine until below 30%, maybe a calibration thing.

Guest CaspaTheGhost

thank you, darren!

Also note that the battery charges to 100%, then stops and will drop to 90'something% before charging back to 100%, so if left on overnight you could simply be going to take it off during that stage... Happens to me most of the time, except this morning when fluked it and took it off at 100%!

Guest CaspaTheGhost

Only just realised it was 'Andy from Hemorrdroids' - Just wanted to say great work on your site, watched both the S2 and Nexus unboxings as well as a ton of other stuff... Helped keep me going during my dark days of BB use...

@All

Loving my return to Android, a custom MCR bake and above all, this beauty of a phone!

Guest Darren.M

Paul,

when do we see the next update which pushes my Galaxy Nexus on the next level ;-)?

Thanks

I believe we won't be getting an update until the 4.0.3 starts hitting more phones. (Some people have apparently received the 4.0.3 update OTA but I don't think it is being pushed around properly/fast enough due to a possible issue(?))

Unless Paul decides to release a AOSP ROM smile.gif

Guest AndyCr15

Only just realised it was 'Andy from Hemorrdroids' - Just wanted to say great work on your site, watched both the S2 and Nexus unboxings as well as a ton of other stuff... Helped keep me going during my dark days of BB use...

Thanks. :) Glad you like the vids.

Guest teunke99

I installed today from the kitchen and I can confirm the issue with the camera which makes it rather useless. I hope to see a solution asap. Besides the issue it runs really smooth.

gr. D

Guest StuMcBill

Paul, is there anyway that your 4.0.3 compatibility pack could be causing issues with NFC?

When I run your ROM with your Kernel i can enable / disable NFC however when i run Franco kernel 7.1 i am unable to enable / disable NFC.

People on other ROMS seem to have no problem with it so just thought I would check if the compatibility pack could be causing an issue, since it is causing an issue with the Camera?

There is some Logcat Logs posted on xda (in the Franco thread), I can try and get some myself.

Cheers.

Happy New Year!

Stewart

Guest viddypiddy

Anyone using the Mail app with Exchange against a server which has a "need encryption"-policy?

I'm all for all the other policy-stuff, but the encryption demand is just pure annoying.

Mostly because Clockworkmod recovery isn't able to mount /data, and since /data/media is /sdcard on this phone i can't even do a nandroid backup.

In the past some people have "hacked" the ROMs/Apps in some way to remove the encryption demand.

Can this be implemented?

Or does anyone know how i can turn it off?

or if CWM Recovery can mount encrypted partitions, please do tell how ;)

Edit;

So right now i cant even flash this ROM, i'm even struggling removing the encryption.

Factory Reset seems to do nothing.. o_O

Edit 2;

Had to use fastboot-to-factory to actually get rid of the encryption.

Running latest MCR now, but wth is this;

W/DownloadManager( 618): Downloads data dir: /data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache is running low on space. space available (in bytes): 5436401

Edited by viddypiddy

Guest terminal 7

only the camera problem is making me remove this rom now, after 5 days i cant go on..

ill be straight back if a fix is found though

oh and i used standard non kitchen rom so its not the shutter sound causing failure of shutter on camera..

thanks

Guest rubenGN

Tonight my phone did a reboot and because of that, the alarm wasn't working this morning...

Is there a way to check why the phone did a reboot?

Guest djmcnz

only the camera problem is making me remove this rom now, after 5 days i cant go on..

ill be straight back if a fix is found though

oh and i used standard non kitchen rom so its not the shutter sound causing failure of shutter on camera..

thanks

Whilst I can reproduce the camera problem, how is it so bad? It only occurs for me if I take a photo *while* the camera is focusing... who needs to do that with a phone?

Guest Tyrellcorp

Whilst I can reproduce the camera problem, how is it so bad? It only occurs for me if I take a photo *while* the camera is focusing... who needs to do that with a phone?

One of the selling points of the GNex for me was the zero shutter lag... I love the ability of swiping left on the lock screen and snapping a photo on impulse. I don't want to wait for the thing to focus.

Over xmas I tried the 'wait to focus' method, but still had freezes. I also want the ability to rapid fire off photos to increase the chance of getting a 'good' snap. Cant do that if it freezes.

In the end I just decided to use video instead!

I'm sure Paul is on the case though!

TBH, athough I love the Gnex, I think the camera is a bit rubbish.... a lot of my photos come out with a yellowish tint!!

I might be swapping this beast for a Galaxy s3 when it comes out.

Guest terminal 7

i think this camera bug must be varied for different users..

my camera will work some times and then just stop.. not just if i shoot before focus, i can take a pic and wait 10 seconds... take another and its stopped!!

even if it was just a focusing problem its still a problem, i use other camera apps to test it and they dont crash or hang, so there must be an issue with the apk

its annoying because im out and about taking shots and it will stop at just the time you need it to work.

dont get me wrong im not whining about the rom, i have been using pauls roms since the hero rom for the g1 and have loved mcr roms on lots of devices, i have nothing but praise all round.. but a fix for this would be nice :)

i wonder how it would react if i swap the camera.apk from another rom ? any one else tried this yet ?

Guest djmcnz

One of the selling points of the GNex for me was the zero shutter lag... I love the ability of swiping left on the lock screen and snapping a photo on impulse. I don't want to wait for the thing to focus.

Over xmas I tried the 'wait to focus' method, but still had freezes. I also want the ability to rapid fire off photos to increase the chance of getting a 'good' snap. Cant do that if it freezes.

In the end I just decided to use video instead!

I'm sure Paul is on the case though!

TBH, athough I love the Gnex, I think the camera is a bit rubbish.... a lot of my photos come out with a yellowish tint!!

I might be swapping this beast for a Galaxy s3 when it comes out.

My experience hasn't been as challenging as yours with the camera I must admit... but still, why would you want to take an out-of-focus shot? Even on impulse? "Instant shutter" terminology refers to the situation when the camera is already in focus... and even with the current bug I can take an endless number of instant shots as long as the camera is focused. Annoying I accept but I've lived with many worse problems in the past (lol - I have an LG Optimus 2x as well! That's problem central).

Guest viddypiddy

Reporting a strange issue.

I've been flashing between this ROM and Stock 4.0.2 several times now, and its 100% consistent;

Issue: Google+ Messenger crashes when trying to view an already existing conversation.

It does not happen when Stock 4.0.1 is installed (with fastboot)

But it happens 100% of the cases when MCR is flashed with CWM both with and without wipe from Stock.

Any clues?

logcat;

E/gcomm_native( 1428): [static bool GCommNativeWrapperPeer::StaticInitialize(JNIEnv*, _jclass*, _jobject*) gcomm_native_wrapper.cpp(659) 4014c488] Could not locate method: onMeetingUrlsResponse (Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

D/AndroidRuntime( 1428): Shutting down VM

W/dalvikvm( 1428): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a791f8)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: no method with name='onMeetingUrlsResponse' signature='(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V' in class Lcom/google/android/apps/plus/hangout/GCommNativeWrapper;

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommNativeWrapper.nativeStaticInitialize(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommApp.<init>(GCommApp.java:323)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommApp.getOrCreateInstance(GCommApp.java:367)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.phone.ConversationActivity.onCreate(ConversationActivity.java:175)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:4465)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1049)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:1919)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:1980)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.access$600(ActivityThread.java:122)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1146)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4340)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(NativeMethod)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

W/ActivityManager(  233):   Force finishing activity com.google.android.apps.plus/.phone.ConversationActivity

W/ActivityManager(  233):   Force finishing activity com.google.android.apps.plus/.phone.ConversationListActivity

Guest Aiman Alorayed

Reporting a strange issue.

I've been flashing between this ROM and Stock 4.0.2 several times now, and its 100% consistent;

Issue: Google+ Messenger crashes when trying to view an already existing conversation.

It does not happen when Stock 4.0.1 is installed (with fastboot)

But it happens 100% of the cases when MCR is flashed with CWM both with and without wipe from Stock.

Any clues?

logcat;

E/gcomm_native( 1428): [static bool GCommNativeWrapperPeer::StaticInitialize(JNIEnv*, _jclass*, _jobject*) gcomm_native_wrapper.cpp(659) 4014c488] Could not locate method: onMeetingUrlsResponse (Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

D/AndroidRuntime( 1428): Shutting down VM

W/dalvikvm( 1428): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a791f8)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: no method with name='onMeetingUrlsResponse' signature='(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V' in class Lcom/google/android/apps/plus/hangout/GCommNativeWrapper;

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommNativeWrapper.nativeStaticInitialize(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommApp.<init>(GCommApp.java:323)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommApp.getOrCreateInstance(GCommApp.java:367)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.google.android.apps.plus.phone.ConversationActivity.onCreate(ConversationActivity.java:175)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:4465)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1049)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:1919)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:1980)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.access$600(ActivityThread.java:122)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1146)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4340)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(NativeMethod)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)

E/AndroidRuntime( 1428):        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

W/ActivityManager(  233):   Force finishing activity com.google.android.apps.plus/.phone.ConversationActivity

W/ActivityManager(  233):   Force finishing activity com.google.android.apps.plus/.phone.ConversationListActivity

Just remove the app and re-install it, happened a while back and removing it using titanium backup

Guest viddypiddy

Just remove the app and re-install it, happened a while back and removing it using titanium backup

Yeah, thanks for that tip.

Seems like the Google+-app which is added when selecting it in the kitchen messes up when upgrading it from Market to a newer version?

If i unticked the Google+-app in the kitchen, and just installed it from Market it worked.