[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Frodo has a sound idea above, I haven`t tried that option but it gives the Restore and frees up some of the SD card for your own use too. However, I`d watch that phone. If after wiping the battery stats it continues to show full charge then zap to flat and back again I`d say either the phone or the battery is suspect. In which case I`d be tempted to flash the stock ROM on it, check it out and take it back to swap for another one. You need to know you can rely on the phone not just in the short term but in the long term too and it aint gonna make the distance if its showing errors like that this early on in the game ~IMHO. Just forget to mention any flashing though its unlikely to be the cause.

Steve

Sigh! Looks like I'll have difficulty doing anything with it, sd card not available and adb can't see the phone.

Guest Reider59

Titas, I noticed once that I had to return to FTM mode (sure this is really File Transfer Mode though someone suggested another name). Anyway, it wouldn`t do it and although it was only moments after I`d last used it I had to reconnect the correct one of two USB ports showing in QPST. Soon as I did that I was cooking on gas.

* Its simply get the FTM mode on the phone

* Make sure drivers are installed (reinstall is ok)

* Make sure QPST is installed, I put a shortcut on the desktop.

* Connect the phone only at that point when all the other two are done

* Check all available ports in QPST after you doubleclick the shortcut and select QPST Configuration, select the right port til the phone shows

* If it fails, are you using a computer port and NOT an external adaptor port? Have you tried another port? If you did, have you changed the port number in QPST?

Steve

Guest jasonleeds

This has really helped me through every step...had a few problems with me being on 64bit but soon got around that.

Thanks for the guide, thanks to this my SF2 is unlocked to GiffGaff, has ClockwordMod, and running Fish & Chips rom.

Loving the SF2

Titas, I noticed once that I had to return to FTM mode (sure this is really File Transfer Mode though someone suggested another name). Anyway, it wouldn`t do it and although it was only moments after I`d last used it I had to reconnect the correct one of two USB ports showing in QPST. Soon as I did that I was cooking on gas.

* Its simply get the FTM mode on the phone

* Make sure drivers are installed (reinstall is ok)

* Make sure QPST is installed, I put a shortcut on the desktop.

* Connect the phone only at that point when all the other two are done

* Check all available ports in QPST after you doubleclick the shortcut and select QPST Configuration, select the right port til the phone shows

* If it fails, are you using a computer port and NOT an external adaptor port? Have you tried another port? If you did, have you changed the port number in QPST?

Steve

Steve &Fr0do, Thanks so much for helping me through this - until 30 mins ago I thought another day would end in failure. But NO! It works - finally. In the end I downloaded the 2 zips to another phone's SD card then put it in my phone & flashed them. Initially CWM repeatedly refused to mount SD card but then by some magic it was there. I think my hands were shaking at this point. Surprisingly perhaps not only was the ROM working but unlocked & wifi working too. Well, I'm off to celebrate now - you have helped me to be able to enjoy New Years'Eve after all. What a relief. I hope you guys have a brilliant night. Thanks again big time for your support.

Guest Reider59

No problem and I`m sure Frodo will be as happy for you as I am. Once you get it all as you want it grab titanium and make a backup. Whenever I swap ROMS or any other event I feel better knowing that backup is there. I bought it so I can get it to do batch backups and restores instead of one at a time. Because theirs loads of data files as well as the app files. Have fun and enjoy, thanks for letting us know. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Steve

Guest kazoooo

Hi

I've unlocked and ended up with de-branded ROM. But it seems like it has gone back to the stock recovery.

I am unable to get the usb debug bridge running. The notification screen only shows one entry to enable/disable mass storage.

Kinda stuck cos I can't install clockworkmod via adb and fastboot.

Is there any other way to get back to the stock ROM?

Guest Reider59

Hi

I've unlocked and ended up with de-branded ROM. But it seems like it has gone back to the stock recovery.

I am unable to get the usb debug bridge running. The notification screen only shows one entry to enable/disable mass storage.

Kinda stuck cos I can't install clockworkmod via adb and fastboot.

Is there any other way to get back to the stock ROM?

The Skate is the 4.3" screen OMC so that will use a different ROM to the Crescent. Unless you have a San Francisco II or a Vivacity you really need to look in here;

http://android.modac...skatemodacocom/

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest Reider59

OK, that`s different, my mind reading skills are not what they once were wink.gif

So you unlocked, have you rebooted the phone from Recovery to check? Did you leave the Stock ROM on or have you changed it? As far as I can see the phone should only need the USB cable now to charge or use storage, if the unlock has successfully taken place. A few more details of what you did and we`ll have a better idea. If you have replaced the ROM then which one did you use? Or is that now your plan, to add a new ROM?

Steve

Guest Reider59

On the first page of this thread Bouncer5 said on the ADB section (three rectangular boxes and the middle one is ADB) if any problems at a certain point through it then contact him;

• Boot up phone
  • Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Install Drivers.
  • Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"
  • Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
  • It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot
  • Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!

However, I had problems with it too and I disconnected the USB cable, and rebooted the phone while holding the down key. It worked and went into Restore but much depends on how far through the process you get. Trying to get back there again didn`t work for me and I hadn`t at that point changed the ROM yet. I tried an app freely downloaded from the market, called ROM Manager. It didn`t work at first but later started to work, second option down on the first screen took me to the Restore screen of the phone. But ClockworkMod does have to be installed for it to work, so it may pay to go back to the first page and start over, but the unlocking * should be OK *.

Other options for ROMS on other Crescent pages are the Restore section permanently placed on the phone and a cut down memory so that more apps can be used. I haven`t tried it but many go for the 40mb option. Another one is a ROM with the kernel file already enclosed. Whereas on page 1 here you need to add either the crescentkernel.zip or the SF II one depending on the phone. It has to be flashed straight after the Crescent.zip to align the keyboard, etc..... Whichever way you go you need to ensure all the correct files are placed on the SD Card ready before you start. Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest kazoooo

OK, that`s different, my mind reading skills are not what they once were wink.gif

So you unlocked, have you rebooted the phone from Recovery to check? Did you leave the Stock ROM on or have you changed it? As far as I can see the phone should only need the USB cable now to charge or use storage, if the unlock has successfully taken place. A few more details of what you did and we`ll have a better idea. If you have replaced the ROM then which one did you use? Or is that now your plan, to add a new ROM?

Steve

Yes unlocked. After restoring my qcn it booted into clockworkmod recovery by itself. I followed the wipe data and wipe dalvik cache. Just these two. Then I chose reboot recovery and it ended up in stock recovery (blue screen with android 3e). I thought that was a bit strange so I took battery out and reboot with volume down and it went into clockworkmod recovery (baffled but continued). Then installed the crescent-r2.zip with the vivacity kernel.

If I power up with volume down I get the FTM screen. If I reboot to recovery using ROM manager I get the stock recovery (blue screen android 3e).

I can't get ADB to work with the device. I suspect I need to install the usb drivers again as the ROM may have changed usb device data?

Guest Reider59

Yes unlocked. After restoring my qcn it booted into clockworkmod recovery by itself. I followed the wipe data and wipe dalvik cache. Just these two. Then I chose reboot recovery and it ended up in stock recovery (blue screen with android 3e). I thought that was a bit strange so I took battery out and reboot with volume down and it went into clockworkmod recovery (baffled but continued). Then installed the crescent-r2.zip with the vivacity kernel.

If I power up with volume down I get the FTM screen. If I reboot to recovery using ROM manager I get the stock recovery (blue screen android 3e).

I can't get ADB to work with the device. I suspect I need to install the usb drivers again as the ROM may have changed usb device data?

I`m a little baffled here too.

** Once you you unlocked it says on page 1 to go to section 3 and disconnect the cable * if you get to the Restore Screen* on the phone

• Remove your USB cable, pull the battery and insert your SIM of choice. Voila.
  • Your phone SHOULD boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery. If not follow the instuctions below.
  • If your phone is in Clockwork Mod follow instruction set 3.

/quote]

** Only if you don`t get it do you go to the second section called ADB and try to get the Restore screen working

But you got past this point and must have got into Restore to wipe the caches. So at this point you shouldn`t have the cable connected. If you added the Crescent.zip and the Vivacitykernel.zip then all you need to do is restart the phone by making the first selection on the first page of the Restore screen. You shouldn`t need ADB because you can already access the Restore screen. Unless I missed something here.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest kazoooo

I got a working phone. So no issues there. Just that I'd like to be able to change ROMS. I need CWM for that and I don't have it. And the only way i can get it is via adb. And adb is not working.

It's most probably a driver issue. I have the Skate drivers installed too.

Guest Reider59

If all you want is to return to stock ROM then once in the Recovery screen you use update by getting hold of the stock ROM from this site and placing it on your SD Card root. Change its name to update not update.zip or it will end up as update.zip.zip Select to restart and when the phone boots up you must wait around 10 minutes to see if it starts. Its the same with the Crescent.zip followed by the Vivacitykernel.zip, you restart and wait about 10 mins while the phone is set up. Nail biting, stomach churning, heart beat missing time.

Steve

Guest Reider59

Give Rom Manager a try, its a free download and the second option on the first page works for me to get to Restore. From there you can put a Stock ROM on, the Crescent.ROM, Fish N Chip ROM with Flash working, a ROM with the CWM built in to the phone and more to come by all accounts. I don`t think its a driver issue as even with 2 drivers on Windows should sense which hardware is connected and apply the right driver to suit. If ROM manager gets you into Restore then you don`t need the driver. You can change ROMS once you get to the Restore screen (CWM).

Steve

Guest kazoooo

If all you want is to return to stock ROM then once in the Recovery screen you use update by getting hold of the stock ROM from this site and placing it on your SD Card root. Change its name to update not update.zip or it will end up as update.zip.zip Select to restart and when the phone boots up you must wait around 10 minutes to see if it starts. Its the same with the Crescent.zip followed by the Vivacitykernel.zip, you restart and wait about 10 mins while the phone is set up. Nail biting, stomach churning, heart beat missing time.

Steve

Sorry about this Steve. I forgot to include one bit of important info. The blue recovery screen doesn't like the capacitive touch buttons so it is useless. I probably have a SFII recovery image.

Guest Reider59

The Recovery screen only uses the Vol. UP/DOWN to move through the menus and the HOME key to select. If you suspect its not working properly then just start over with the correct Stock ROM or the Crescent.zip and Vivacitykernel.zip after deleting the factory/data, cache and Dalvik.cache. Then reboot the phone, something must be allowing you to select an item in the list if you already did the wipes, applied the zips etc....

Steve

Guest kazoooo

The Recovery screen only uses the Vol. UP/DOWN to move through the menus and the HOME key to select. If you suspect its not working properly then just start over with the correct Stock ROM or the Crescent.zip and Vivacitykernel.zip after deleting the factory/data, cache and Dalvik.cache. Then reboot the phone, something must be allowing you to select an item in the list if you already did the wipes, applied the zips etc....

Steve

Home be a capacitive button in vivacity unfortunately. Twas a nice feature until now:(

So it renders my recovery application useless because I can scroll up and down but cannot select the option:(

Just to clarify again, I don't have clockworkmod but what I think is the default recovery for san francisco 2.

Guest Reider59

Time to startover and follow the instructions to the letter methinks...... I still don`t understand how you cannot use the home key yet you flashed the Crescent.zip, the Vivacitykernel.zip and cleaned the caches. How did you select those to do them?

I`m logging out a bit to fly my virtual plane. It got dark while I was waiting to set off so I had to change the time on it back to morning. dry.gifrolleyes.gif Try starting again from the beginning and carefully following it to get all the correct files on. then see where you`re up to. Be back later after I crash land..

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest kazoooo

Time to startover and follow the instructions to the letter methinks...... I still don`t understand how you cannot use the home key yet you flashed the Crescent.zip, the Vivacitykernel.zip and cleaned the caches. How did you select those to do them?

Steve

Thanks for helping out Steve. I'll try and get ADB sorted as it seems like I don't have any other option. I'm gonna try on a fresh pc to see if the drivers work.

This has baffled me too. I had clockworkmod, which works with the buttons. Then on recovery reboot I lost it and it went to the blue recovery. Battery out and restart and it was clockworkmod again, which let me install the crescent and kernel zips. But now it's always blue recovery.

I thought I was following the instructions by the book. But I only wiped the data and dalvik cache as the instructions say. Didn't wipe the other cache.

After following the instructions for QPST you should be returned to the FTM mode on boot. These ROMs aren't built to future boot to CWM if that's what you mean kazoo.

Guest kazoooo

After following the instructions for QPST you should be returned to the FTM mode on boot. These ROMs aren't built to future boot to CWM if that's what you mean kazoo.

Yes I was expecting CWM to remain. I tried ADB on a fresh machine but no luck. Both machines are XP so maybe I should try win 7.

Yes the capacitive buttons aren't supported in that early version of CWM. Win7 is a bit more difficult to get the drivers working on I understand.

Edited by fr0do

Guest kazoooo

Yes the capacitive buttons aren't supported in that early version of CWM. Win7 is a bit more difficult to get the drivers working on I understand.

Ah well stuck with this ROM then for now. But they worked with the stock so I don't see why they don't work anymore.

Edit ... progress ... found an app called ezboot on the market place ... lets you boot into bootloader ... and fastboot was working .... phew! one day gone

Thanks again for the assistance ... I've taken quite a bit of this thread :(

Edited by kazoooo