Using Camera Flash as Torch

Guest sjoyce666

Guest sjoyce666

Could someone tell me if the camera flash can be activated as a torch please

I currently have a HTC Desire Z which is on its last legs but it does have the ability to use the camera flash as a torch using the HTC Flashlight app

I'm hoping there is something similar available for the T-Mobile Vivacity as that is the one I will be going for. It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice as I use the Flashlight app quite alot

I have read that the ZTE Skate/Orange Monte Carlo does not have this ability but I cannot find anything to confirm or deny the option on the ZTE Crescent/Orange San Francisco 2/T-Mobile Vivacity

Edited by sjoyce666

Guest sjoyce666

For the standard apps to work it needs to be implemented properly in the framework.

Can it be added to the framework via a updated ROM or is it something that is buried deeper in the phone and not updatable/customisable ?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Can it be added to the framework via a updated ROM or is it something that is buried deeper in the phone and not updatable/customisable ?

It think its more a hardware issue surely, depending how much current (or volts) the battery can supply the bulb with, without "charging" the flash (assuming it does that).

As far as changing things, basically HTC have added a few bits of their own code, which only work (are understood) on HTC ROMs. So someone would have to port a HTC ROM over from another phone, which really isn't worth the effort just to try and see if you can get camera working.

As I don't really know if there is a hardware limitation, just try a few apps on the market, and see if they work. It may be they haven't supported the phone yet, as it is a new device (though it shouldn't be that different from anything else) - though the chances are if you can't do it on the stock ROM, you can do it anywhere else.

Guest sjoyce666

It think its more a hardware issue surely, depending how much current (or volts) the battery can supply the bulb with, without "charging" the flash (assuming it does that).

As far as changing things, basically HTC have added a few bits of their own code, which only work (are understood) on HTC ROMs. So someone would have to port a HTC ROM over from another phone, which really isn't worth the effort just to try and see if you can get camera working.

As I don't really know if there is a hardware limitation, just try a few apps on the market, and see if they work. It may be they haven't supported the phone yet, as it is a new device (though it shouldn't be that different from anything else) - though the chances are if you can't do it on the stock ROM, you can do it anywhere else.

The battery must be able to supply the current/volts required as the flash works when using the camera. Whether it can provide it for the length of time required is another matter. I dont want to constantly use the torch but have the ability to use it for a few minutes at a time when required

Does anyone know where in the ROM the camera app is and can it be modified/replaced/edited ? If someone could find out the code that is executed when the camera button is pressed and how it deals with the LED flash then could this be ripped out and put into a specific Torch app ?

I am a software developer by trade but I have never delved into the depths on Android. It may be something that I need to delve into to see if I can create an app myself to solve my problem