Alternative way to flash recovery

Guest Amphoras

Guest Amphoras

i must be doing it wrong somehow, i downloaded 5.0.2.7,extracted the image folder to the root of my SD card, do a battery pull, turn the device on holding the vol+ button and the middle key, and the device boots to the android guy, the red LED up top is solid then goes after about 2 seconds and then it just boots into ROM

Try booting into recovery and see what version you have. It may just have done the TPT really fast.

Guest domenico lamberti

thats how i checked it hadnt changed, it was still orange 4.0.1.5 with the backlight turned off, 5.0.2.7 is blue with back light enabled isnt it

EDIT : done it, reason it wasnt flashing was because of dodgy SD

Edited by domenico lamberti

• 7 months later...
Guest ShurikMD

2. Turn your phone off, then power on holding menu and vol+.

This might sound stupid, but which one is the menu button on the Vivacity? I can't get my phone to start, so I've been trying to get ClockworkMod like this, but I can't seem to figure out how to go through the last step of these instructions...

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone.

Two weeks ago I unlocked my T-Mobile Vivacity and used CWM to install CyanogenMod9, which I find very good. However, at the time I also applied the patch for Dark Tremor's a2sd, and I would now like to go for an alternative storage solution and was thinking of using int2ext+. To do this, I need to remove the a2sd first... Simple, I thought, CWM to do a nandroid backup, format the SD card with the required partitions and then load CM9 without the patch, reboot and then add the int2ext+ afterwards. If it all goes wrong, I'd have the nandroid backup to fall back to.

However, I find I can't get into CWM again. I only used it the once to load CM9 and never looked for it again. If I switch on with the vol- key held, it goes into FTM. OK, I used WindowsXP to do the unlocking using a combination of brownian's guide and other posts on here and on getandroidfree.com. I've tried to go through that sequence again (missing out the QPST and Unlock) and the phone reboots to the android green man but the terminal just says "waiting for your device to respond" and the process goes no further. I have then tried putting the image from here (T-Mobile Vivacity v5.0.2.7) on the root of the SD, and used the phone's update, but that doesn't do anything either. I press the button in: settings, about phone, system updates, and just nothing happens.

I have Titanium Backup, but that doesn't seem to have the power to create a nandroid backup. I've tried the nandroid backup app from the market, but that doesn't work for me either.

I am wondering if me using GParted to adjust the SD card's partitions has somehow confused the update system, or something. I have WindowsXP and three different Ubuntu based systems to attempt this with, but can find no instructions on a Linux way to install ClockworkMod again.

Can anyone think of a way, or point me to the right thread describing this? I really don't want to go any further without a nandroid backup of my working system, and will need CWM to flash the bare CM9.

Thanks guys.

OK, I've found the problem (I think).

Following the guide here (in WindowsXP!):

http://forum.xda-dev...=1608042&page=1

I came to the command

su

and got the response

permission denied

Well, the penny dropped then. I am running CyanogenMod9 IceCreamSandwich. Under Settings: Developer options: there is an entry "Root access". This was set to "Apps only" and that was the cause of my problems. I didn't have su rights to the system. Simply changed in there and suddenly everything works. smile.gif

Maybe this feature was added in ICS, and wasn't there in Gingerbread? Could be the reason others using CM9 have been having trouble.