[ROM][ZTE Skate] SKatie by Ceco - Android 2.3.5 (DOLBY MOBILE NOW AVAILABLE!!!)

Guest C3C0

That's because of the cache size. It's 35MB so you can't download bigger files from playstore.

This rom doesn't redirect cache but it is possible to do so by mounting it to sd ext partition in terminal emulator.

Like this (provided you use link2sd and /data/sdext2 exists - that's the ext partition of SD mounted under /data/sdext2 directory)

su

umount /cache

mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs rootfs /

rmdir /cache

mkdir /data/sdext2/cache

ln -s /data/sdext2/cache /cache 

I cannot test it myself right now but if you're familiar with linux commands you get the picture.

Guest bardriel

That's because of the cache size. It's 35MB so you can't download bigger files from playstore.

This rom doesn't redirect cache but it is possible to do so by mounting it to sd ext partition in terminal emulator.

Like this (provided you use link2sd and /data/sdext2 exists - that's the ext partition of SD mounted under /data/sdext2 directory)

su

umount /cache

mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs rootfs /

rmdir /cache

mkdir /data/sdext2/cache

ln -s /data/sdext2/cache /cache

I cannot test it myself right now but if you're familiar with linux commands you get the picture.

Ok, i´m gonna try. This days i am very busy but when have some free time i´ll test it and tell if worked or not.

Thanks C3C0.

^^

Edited by bardriel

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bardriel

C3C0, i test your commands and they works well .

Another question, wich kernel is better for this rom, your S2 kernel or the kernel included in the update 2.4 (Ceco2 rev.1)?

Guest themarkoface

Excellent rom C3C0 for real. I want to thanks to you. Is the best ROM than all the oters, and want to ask you to upgrade more this ROM.

Also I want to show you some bugs i found on this ROM to fix it... I tested this rom on several Phones and always have a same bugs...

In drawer menu when you turning around phone (left or right) drawer menu can freeze and have to put the finger on the screen to unfreeze it... Try that...

Also when I turning ON/OFF backgound data I have to select it twice often... An it works the same on every phone I tested...

Thats all... The oter things are really great... The MOST STABLE ROM and the fastest also (tested a lot of times with antutu bechmarks)... My best score is 2 660...

And one more Thanks Ceco a lot, and we all want new upgrade of this ROM...

Best Regards

(tested a lot of times with antutu bechmarks)... My best score is 2 660...

8-O Can we know máx processor freq to obtain this value? Values such that are repeatable? What memory manager system you use (Link2SD, S2E, int2ext...)? What microSD (Class)?

Edited by RaAmon

Guest WiiSky70

So if this ROM isn't supported anymore , why not creating a TPT to integrate the last update (With latest S2 kernel) ?

Maybe Kitchen Update recommendations like custom TPT Packages made from you as the samples that members could download

without the hassle of upgrading 2x the Skatie Builds ?

Samples :

TPT File > Stock Launcher , Circle Mod for Battery , S2 Kernel , Stock Applications and No-Frills CPU

Edited by WiiSky70

Guest sparkie1297

Has anyone else have problems with the ESPN goals app (UK) on this ROM ? I hadn't used it in a few weeks while I was still on my rooted orange stock ROM. I flashed this custom ROM to my Orange Monte Carlo to get rid of the orange bloatware as i'm about to move to giffgaff and the ROM is pretty good but I can't watch any videos on the ESPN goals app, keeps bringing up an error 1024 message. I'm not sure if it is the ROM, settings or the APP itself. I have tried installing earlier APK versions of the APP but makes no difference and have flash 10.3 installed (don't think that is relevant). Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Guest mariajoseh

Hello guys!!

I need any softkeys, because the buttons are damaged (home & back work only sometimes ). I love this rom...any flasheable zip for softkeys in statusbar like in this picture?

3e4udaqy.jpg

Thanks all for your work!!!

Edited by mariajoseh

Just so you know them soft keys aren't functional. That's a badly done mod.

Like C3C0 suggested, if you want soft keys so badly then why not use CM7 or H3B? For example here, H3B is tweaked a lot more than SKatie and it has Dolby and WiFi protected setup support built into it as standard. It also has more options and even an extra network mode which no other stock GB ROM's have.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest themarkoface

Ramon -

I'll try to answer that... Created Skatie Update laest 2.4 with elitemovil kernel, and max freq was 998 Mhz. Do not use CPU No Frill control, i suggest NS tool to control your CPU... In settings set max to 998 , min to 122MHz... Also governos set to smartassV2...

Also used Link 2 SD and SdBoster on 1024 Kb... Its impotant to know that I tested all known Roms and this one really has the best smoth on screen and the best 3D performance, as I sad i tested it all of them...

You could even install manually Bravia engine for better contrast, proximity sensor if it wont's work good and App2ROM (this program is cool, It makes that you can install any program to ROM manualy or remove it , also replace with the newer version, so that means that you will have more free space on Phone). Also I suggest defragmentation SD Card, and you will see after all these installation that ohone will work 's really good. Awesome!

Okay, some points here.

1. The elitemovil kernel is dated and isn't as good as the S2 kernel by C3C0 (Less govs, less screen support, not as lite)
  2. Use the SmartassH3 governor and you don't need to mess about with CPU settings (It's designed specifically for the Skate)
  3. Prior to version 2.0 of H3 Blues it was built from the same source as SKatie, although tweaked even further (Scores the same or more with H3B).
  4. The bravia engine makes absolutely no difference on the Skate or any other ARMv6 device as it's designed for ARMv7. It's a placebo effect. The lib doesn't work (Google libswiqibmpcnv.so or bravia engine armv6).
Edited by H3ROS

Guest themarkoface

H3ros - I appreciate you knowledge aobut this things.

BUT I tested all kernels whitch is offer in 2.4 update and you dont't have to beleve it, but FIRST KERNEL (ELITMOVIL) is the best(fastest and the most stable kernel)...

I simply tested them all on antutu benchmark an results are amaisnig... Also S2 kernel was really unstable and makes phone restarnig often, at freq over 921 MHz phone is unstable with S2 kernel (tesed on many phones), try it and you will see...

Bravia Engine - makes screen darker contrast, at its really visible on the eyes, I maked photos with Iphone before and after and there is a difference, after installing Bravia Engine Screen is Darker and it seems like better contrast on screen...

H3 Blues has bad smooth and is visible on the Eye when you are using drawer application or somethiing else... Best smoth on screen is with Skatie ROM

I have service for repairs mobile phones and tested a lot of them with all roms and kernels and this is my exoeriences...

Best regards

You should redo your tests.

Like I said it's impossible for the bravie engine to work as its for ARMv7 devices. When it was released as an addon for the Skate it was never said to be working either, and I promise you that it's not as you can take and kind of task or service manager and you won't see anything to do with the bravia engine. It errors out during bootup. You'd also see it makes no difference if you put 2 Skates next to each other, but not another device as it'd have an entirely different screen anyway!

Secondly when you install a new ROM the media scanner service will lag your device for a little while, especially if you've got a lot of stuff on your sd card. Wait for it to be done or reboot after a while and you'll get a smooth experience. Also to make your tests fair you should install the same software onto each ROM, especially the launcher as they're often different on each ROM.

When it comes to the kernel you're installing a battery guzzler. Why put the CPU so high when the S2 kernel can work at lower speeds and offer a smooth experience that saves battery? It also supports newer screens & devices that the elitemovil kernel doesn't. Plus the S2 kernel has its source available, but where's the source to the elitemovil kernel? There isn't one.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest themarkoface

H3ROS ...

you wrote this like I am an idiot... I told you that I have in my hads a lot of ZTE Skates, probably over than a 200 pieces in this year, and I Fix them all and put all Roms in them. I have a lot of experience...

You told me "You'd also see it makes no difference if you put 2 Skates next to each other"... I just did that a lot of times for many Roms, kernels an the others things when I want to compare something... And also for Bravia Engine... At this moment I have 4 Zte Skates on my desk :))...You should have to know how many diferences has the same model from the others series (For example... same Zte Skate has different screens in different Series of production, here I have model with excellent screen and live colours and model with poor colours pattern which means that it have worse screen quality, and its the same for some hardware modules and the other things...) The point is that on some phones you wont be able to see any change when you put Bravia, and on some phones you will see very well... Understand? I saw it... with my eyes personally...

Secound "Wait for it to be done or reboot after a while and you'll get a smooth experience".. Are you kidding me? Do you really mean that I dont know that? I'll do it surely every time...

And About Kernels... I know that newer kernels gives us a lot of things, more gov etc...But as I told You.. I tried it a lot of times... I put on ONE phone Elitemovil Kernel Skatie 2.4 update and on the OTHER phone the other Kernels with Skatie 2.4 update... And on the same CPU speed (998) difference is seen obviously... A phone with EliteMovil Kernel gives better smooth than the others... Try it and you will see... I am talking just about things which i tested a lot of times... Especially I want to say that the EliteMovil Kernel is the only Kernel which is 100% stable and not restart phone when CPU has to work hard... The only one... The others kernels restart phones on high CPU speed often and have lower smooth quality, I am talking about something I tested a lot of times...

Conclusion...

I fix the phones and its very important to me that when I set everythig on someone phone it must work perfect, and 100% stable (its bad when someone calls you because something works wrong on phone or phone restarting every 5 minutes etc...), so i tested everything to find the best ROM , best Kernel , to make Phone fastest and 100 % stable, and this is my experience that Skatie Custom Rom 2.4 with EliteMovil Kernel (gov SmartassV2) is the BEST and I want to give my knowledge to everyone who need it... Nothing more... Who has priority to try everythig on 100-200 phones?

Best regards to all and to you H3ROS also!

Thakns

Look, I'm not calling you an idiot, but any developer here will be able to tell you it's impossible for an ARMv7 lib to work on an ARMv6 device, so what you're seeing is known as the placebo effect. Proof? Okay:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1873592

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1880272

http://forum.xda-dev...&postcount=1637

The elitemovil kernel isn't "better and smoother", it's just a kernel built off the same code that C3C0 has built his off. Maybe it doesn't reboot at a higher speed, but my point is is that when it reboots it's telling you that your phones in danger of getting damaged and you need to take it down a step. You don't need to put the CPU all the way up to 998 MHz! You simply don't need the CPU that high and you're giving up a lot of battery and risking breaking your device in doing so so like it or not it's bad advice. And something to keep in mind is that everyones CPU is different, so what works for you at 998 MHz probably won't work for someone else and a change of kernel won't fix that. So you're telling people to overclock to a speed which may in fact damage their phone or at least cause them a lot of reboots.

You may have knowledge about how to perform repairs on the hardware, but you clearly don't know about how the software works. Take H3 Blues 1.7 as an example, it's built from exactly the same source as Skatie, but I've themed it, added options, tweaked the whole framework and zipaligned everything. It will run better than or the same as Skatie and nothings going to change that other than possibly the launcher. However, take one of the spanish ROM's that are built off of H3 Blues as their base and their's will be slower because they pack it with a lot of warez and often don't optimize the apk's once they're done editing them.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest omegavesko

H3ROS is correct. A library compiled for ARMv7 absolutely will not make a difference on the Skate, as it's an ARMv6 device. It really is just a placebo effect. In simpler terms: If I gave you an instruction manual written in Korean, would you be able to read it?

Guest themarkoface

Hey H3ROS take it easy.

At first my apologies, I did not want to make you mad or hurt you... Sorry man, Just now I notice that H3 Blues is Your ROM...

In my opinion H3 Blues Custom ROM is on the SECOUND place form the all oters and I really mean it... Better than 2.3.7 or 4.0.4 etc... i forgot to say that...

You should have to know that I am a programmer too, and knows better everything about software than a hardware, but still doing both...

I have to correct you "You don't need to put the CPU all the way up to 998MHz" , yes I want and I have to, because its big difference when this device works on 921Mhz or 998Mhz, thrust me, exactly on these speeds became different between smooth scroling and bad scroling... Try it... The device works fine even at 787 Mhz (Factory) but scroling is terrible and everyone noticed that and thats the reason why everyone whats to speed it up!!!

If you want to save a battery life just chage minimal freq to lowest speed because you use your phone 3-4 hours daily and about 20 hours is in standby mod daily... So when is in standby mode the lowest CPU speed saves the battery life... Am I wright?

Also, you sad exactly whats the difference between Skatie Custom Rom and Yours H3 Blues. You tell it by yourself "it's built from exactly the same source as Skatie, but I've themed it, added options..." and that's the reason why Skatie Custom Rom is a little faster than yours... To much images, themed screens etc,so the device cant work so smoth as on Skatie Rom... I know that you understand what I am talking anout...Skatie is more simple, just black screen behind icons and thats the reason why the smooth scroling is more visible on Skatie Custom Rom ... But i am telling you again, H3 Blues is really good Custom ROM and from my point of view is on secound place of all Zte Skate Roms... H3 blues has better appearance and that knows everybody but when we are talking about speed, smooth scroling Skatie Custom Rom is on the first place. H3 blues is stable Rom too, i forgot to mention that... and thats the reason why is on 2 place too...

And about Bravia... It hates me to prove you that really... I know what I know and... nevermind...Versions of processors didn't means that something works or dont works... You are a programmer, you have to chek what is written, so do you review a source file or do you check it how that is written? Or you are just looking what the others sad?

In any case, my intention was to explain to everyone that there is Roms with better appearance and more popular but who wants the best performance from this device, stable device and best smoth is possible to take, just install Skatie Custom Rom , or on secound place H3 Blues Custom Rom... That's my suggestion because I did it and check it a lot of times...

I appreciate what you are doing and C3CO and the oters programmers and thanks A LOT! And really mean it... So don't be mad of me if we don't have same opinion...

Best regards ;)

"The device works fine even at 787 Mhz (Factory) but scroling is terrible and everyone noticed that and thats the reason why everyone whats to speed it up!!!"

Actually, with the latest version of H3B and it's stock kernel it will only use 122MHz and scrolling is super smooth ;) The reason? I've disabled the scrolling cache, disabled CPU rendering and I've got some other little tweaks applied.

"If you want to save a battery life just chage minimal freq to lowest speed because you use your phone 3-4 hours daily and about 20 hours is in standby mod daily... So when is in standby mode the lowest CPU speed saves the battery life... Am I wright?"

Actually that's not needed. The S2 kernel contains my custom governor which will only step up the CPU when it really needs to. When the screens off the recommended speed the kernel will use is 122 MHz, but when the screens on you could watch HQ YouTube with no lag at around 320 Mhz. That would be higher on any other kernel and the higher the CPU usage is the more battery it's taking. That's why I say you don't need to be at your maximum speed to have good performance AND battery. Try the latest version of H3B sometime and you'd see what I mean. It may not be buffered the same as JB ROM's, but it's very fluid for a Gingerbread ROM.

"and that's the reason why Skatie Custom Rom is a little faster than yours... To much images, themed screens etc,so the device cant work so smoth as on Skatie Rom..."

Actually my images are optimized a lot more than SKatie's. SKatie's framework-res.apk is 4.06MB where as H3 Blues framework-res.apk is 3.38MB. That continues throughout the whole ROM too (just look at the frameworks directory) :)

When it comes to the bravia engine I read what others said and then investigated it myself and found that yes, it's really not working. It exits when you boot the device because like omegavesko put it, it's basically talking in Korean to our Skates.

I'm not offended, but some of what you said I just don't agree with because I technically know how similar the ROM's can be. And like what I said about the CPU speed and how everyones is different; it's not always good telling people to jump to such a high speed as that could cause them more issues, and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to recommend someone to use 998 MHz and then a week or two later have that person say that their Skate won't turn on, likely because the CPU's burnt out.

When it comes to my ROM I'm not sure which version you tried, but I'd recommend you try the latest version when you've got some time and leave it on the device for a day or two and you'll see that at it's stock settings it's pretty smooth. The only time you may then want to overclock is if you're playing some demanding games, in which case just set the governor to performance mode.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest themarkoface

H3ROS when you set your device on 998 Mhz It doesn't means thet device work constantly on 998 Mhz. It will, but only in situations when it really needs. That means that only in some situations will work on 998 Mhz and that is only for a really short time (you can only set Max and Min freq, which doesnt means that will work on that speed constantly). You know that... My phone is set on 998 Mhz almost 6 mounths and works perfect... And that will not Burnout CPU... I dont know Who told you that... You have to increase voltage and freq much more to burn it out.

I tested yours newest version H3 Blues, yes it's really nice, adjusted wery well, better suport for games via Google Play, good adjustment...

But Launcher Pro is better than Go Launcher Ex (FASTER) and I'll do it again, and trust me its better smooth on Skatie Custom Rom than H3 Blues... Again... I can make a video to show you and prove you that... On H3 Blues screen chops often even on 998 Mhz when I am at app Drawer or somewhere else, but on Skatie scren work perfect smoth like on Iphone... Try it, you will see...

Can you insert somehow Launcher Pro In H3 Blues instead of Go Launcher Ex, I think that it will be a perfect combination of fast, very smooth and adjusted and better optimized device???

Skatie has some bugs that you fixed in your Rom, I noticed that, so thats combination will be awesome...

Also about Bravia... I didn't know that... My assurance was that that works... I dont know...

Best regards!

@ themarkoface

Setting your device to 998 MHz when it can't handle it can lead to random reboots though. Like I said, what works for you might not work for others as each CPU is different so it's not recommended to tell people to take such a jump. They should start at the lower ranges and only work up if they feel they need to which they shouldn't unless they're gaming.

I went with GO Launcher because I like it's theme better and it's not too bad when you use some of the animations e.g. the bounce animation for the homescreen.

To change the launcher you can simply change the Launcher.apk file in the zip before you flash the ROM.