Could I upgrade directly to 2.3 from 2.1

Guest ontherocks

Guest ontherocks

well first u must upgrade to GEN2 via TPT

then yes i think u can upgrade directly :D

Well I posted this query in the Glossary thread too. I am asking this again here.

As per my understanding, Gen1 or Gen2 is a hardware attribute (something to do with the memory layout). So you cannot convert between Gen1 & Gen2, unless you change the hardware itself. Am I wrong?

Guest ontherocks

You can convert between them a few ways. You can use the TPT method in the thread I linked or you can use the windows flasher.

Ok.

But is it mandatory to convert it to Gen2 to install 2.3?

The tutorial in the sticky here doesn't mention it to convert it to Gen2 to install Gingerbread. So it seems that it could be installed on Gen1as well. Is there any advantage in converting to Gen2? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Guest Maxsas360

Yes you can. android.modaco.com/topic/347215-romgen1-2-3-moldovan-mile-high-mountain-pie-rls9-android-235/ Use the tpt method.

Edited by Maxsas360

Guest ontherocks

I couldn't find anything to call Gen2 an "upgrade" over Gen1. Nonetheless since you guys are unanimous in suggesting to "upgrade" to Gen2 I will go ahead and do it.

The only thing that is scaring me are the scary things mentioned in the sticky about TPT method being unsafe and having a higher probability of bricking.

And as I have read moldovan-mile-high-mountain-pie is the one with the best battery life.....isn't it? Or I need to install the addon called undervolt kernel to get good battery life in addition to moldovan-mile-high-mountain-pie?

Also if I follow the TPT method, would I loose my data which is mostly contacts. Or should I create backup first?

Guest Maxsas360

I couldn't find anything to call Gen2 an "upgrade" over Gen1. Nonetheless since you guys are unanimous in suggesting to "upgrade" to Gen2 I will go ahead and do it.

The only thing that is scaring me are the scary things mentioned in the sticky about TPT method being unsafe and having a higher probability of bricking.

And as I have read moldovan-mile-high-mountain-pie is the one with the best battery life.....isn't it? Or I need to install the addon called undervolt kernel to get good battery life in addition to moldovan-mile-high-mountain-pie?

Also if I follow the TPT method, would I loose my data which is mostly contacts. Or should I create backup first?

Creating a backup is a must. It is safe if you check the md5 of the tpt before flashing and charge the battery to full.

Guest ontherocks

Creating a backup is a must. It is safe if you check the md5 of the tpt before flashing and charge the battery to full.

Thanks.

What method would you suggest to create a full backup the easy way. All the backup programs I know create a backup on the SD card, but if the SD card is going to get formatted/erased or data is going to get corrupted on ROM installation, shouldn't I create a backup on my computer? If so, how?

Thanks.

What method would you suggest to create a full backup the easy way. All the backup programs I know create a backup on the SD card, but if the SD card is going to get formatted/erased or data is going to get corrupted on ROM installation, shouldn't I create a backup on my computer? If so, how?

After backing-up to your SD card, back-up the SD card to your PC via WiFi or USB link.

Guest Maxsas360

After backing-up to your SD card, back-up the SD card to your PC via WiFi or USB link.

Titanium Backup for apps. Contact exporting to sd to backup contacts. TPT does not touch sd card at all. So sd-ext will have to be wiped manually in recovery before using a tpt.

Edited by Maxsas360

Guest ontherocks

Titanium Backup for apps. Contact exporting to sd to backup contacts.

I don't care about apps. I can install them anytime. I use only free apps.

Important to me are contacts and messages.

TPT does not touch sd card at all. So sd-ext will have to be wiped manually in recovery before using a tpt.

Wow, this is new. Where do I find the noob steps?

Guest Maxsas360

I don't care about apps. I can install them anytime. I use only free apps.

Important to me are contacts and messages.

Wow, this is new. Where do I find the noob steps?

There are a couple of sms backup apps in the market. Boot the phone with volume -. Go to mounts and storage and select format sd-ext. Unless you don't have it... Then you dont need to wipe anything manually. I assume you do, because not having it and having a custom rom is like drinking beer with a straw. If you dont I'll find the guide how to create one as it will make your apps be installed on sd ext partition instead of internal memmory.

Guest ontherocks

If you dont I'll find the guide how to create one as it will make your apps be installed on sd ext partition instead of internal memmory.

Please do. That would be really helpful.

I tried to check if I have sd-ext or not, by booting with volume-. It displayed a rectangular white box with the letters "FTM". It stayed like that for ever.

Guest Maxsas360

You dont have it. Backup anything you need and use the tpt. The tpt will install the new rom and a new recovery instead of FTM. And backup your whole sd as it will be formatted. In the custom recovery Vol+ is up Vol- is down. Home is ok. So when you flashed your rom turn the phone off. Hold vol- and turn it on. A weird menu should pop up. Go to advanced>partition sd card. Swap should be 64mb i think and the ext partition is any size you want. THIS WILL FORMAT THE SD.

I wont respond for 9hrs as I have to sleep lol, but nobody actually bricked a phone by partitoning an sd

Edited by Maxsas360

Guest ontherocks

I don't know how to get out of that "FTM" screen. None of the keys are responding. Do I take out the battery?

You dont have it. Backup anything you need and use the tpt. The tpt will install the new rom and a new recovery instead of FTM. And backup your whole sd as it will be formatted.

Backup.......you mean do a simple copy & paste of all the contents of the SD card to the computer?

In the custom recovery Vol+ is up Vol- is down. Home is ok. So when you flashed your rom turn the phone off. Hold vol- and turn it on. A weird menu should pop up. Go to advanced>partition sd card. Swap should be 64mb i think and the ext partition is any size you want. THIS WILL FORMAT THE SD.

When do I carry out this step? Before installing the ROM via TPT or the TPT process will anyways automatically do it?

Guest Maxsas360

I don't know how to get out of that "FTM" screen. None of the keys are responding. Do I take out the battery?

Backup.......you mean do a simple copy & paste of all the contents of the SD card to the computer?

When do I carry out this step? Before installing the ROM via TPT or the TPT process will anyways automatically do it?

To get out of ftm just pull the battery out. Yes to backup the sd, just copy everything to pc. You'll have to do it after tpt. As I said tpt does not touch sd card. When you partition it it will get wiped.

Guest ontherocks

To get out of ftm just pull the battery out. Yes to backup the sd, just copy everything to pc. You'll have to do it after tpt. As I said tpt does not touch sd card. When you partition it it will get wiped.

Ok. Took the battery out. Everything is working fine. Got a bit tensed :(

I have got some confidence now to go ahead with the upgrade. So I am going to do the following:

Step #1. Copy & Paste all data from SD card to PC

Step #2. Delete all data in the SD card.

Step #3. Follow the TPT instructions part of the tutorial here down to a T

Step #4. Install the Undervolt-Kernel

Step #5. Partition the SD card to create sd-ext

Step #6. Copy & Paste all data from PC back to SD card.

Am I right?

And how do I install the Undervolt-Kernel?

Guest Maxsas360

Ok. Took the battery out. Everything is working fine. Got a bit tensed :(

I have got some confidence now to go ahead with the upgrade. So I am going to do the following:

Step #1. Copy & Paste all data from SD card to PC

Step #2. Delete all data in the SD card.

Step #3. Follow the TPT instructions part of the tutorial here down to a T

Step #4. Install the Undervolt-Kernel

Step #5. Partition the SD card to create sd-ext

Step #6. Copy & Paste all data from PC back to SD card.

Am I right?

And how do I install the Undervolt-Kernel?

Yes you are. To install undervolt kernel boot to recovery. Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard and go to your kernel zip and select yes. Done. Your phone is rooted and has recovery menu which will be used for flashing other roms later. It is called Clockworkmod recovery and has loads of guides how to use it.

Guest ontherocks

Yes you are. To install undervolt kernel boot to recovery. Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard and go to your kernel zip and select yes. Done. Your phone is rooted and has recovery menu which will be used for flashing other roms later. It is called Clockworkmod recovery and has loads of guides how to use it.

Thanks a lot.

Just to make sure......... "boot into recovery" means power on with volume - key pressed.......right?

Guest ontherocks

One more question :)

Do I carry out any or all of the following before installing Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie RLS9?

1. Wipe Data/Factory Reset

2. Wipe Cache Partition

3. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Edited by ontherocks

Guest Maxsas360

One more question :)

Do I carry out any or all of the following before installing Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie RLS9?

1. Wipe Data/Factory Reset

2. Wipe Cache Partition

3. Wipe Dalvik Cache

You should wipe sd ext, system, boot too. You should find it on Mounts and storage.