Help required with installing ROM

Guest pompey007

Guest pompey007

Hi, last year I managed to put r8 onto my son's vega. Unfortunately he managed to tread on it and break the screen (!), one insurance claim later he now has a viewsonic viewpad 10S (which I understand is basically a vega)?

I have to admit that I forgot all that I learnt last year, but do know that I am really struggling to get tablet into recovery mode. Do I just have to perservere with the 2 second/2 second/2 second technique - are there any other tips?

I have vegatools installed on pc and corvus 5 download on pc but cannot do much at present until in recovery mode. Apologies for the dumb question but do I need USB drivers before or after recovery mode?

Would really appreciate some help - one step at a time! If you need any further information please let me know.

Thanks!

Guest pompey007

Hi, last year I managed to put r8 onto my son's vega. Unfortunately he managed to tread on it and break the screen (!), one insurance claim later he now has a viewsonic viewpad 10S (which I understand is basically a vega)?

I have to admit that I forgot all that I learnt last year, but do know that I am really struggling to get tablet into recovery mode. Do I just have to perservere with the 2 second/2 second/2 second technique - are there any other tips?

I have vegatools installed on pc and corvus 5 download on pc but cannot do much at present until in recovery mode. Apologies for the dumb question but do I need USB drivers before or after recovery mode?

Would really appreciate some help - one step at a time! If you need any further information please let me know.

Thanks!

Amazingly, after spending an hour or so trying to get into recovery mode, just after I posted above it worked (not sure what I did differently!!)? Got the attached screen...I thought it would locate them in one of the folders I downloaded but apparantly not. Advice on drivers required. Thanks.

post-867949-0-40972800-1327269741_thumb.

Guest dibbles

Download and use the AUDI tool to install the appropriate drivers...

...read the thread to get a good idea of what is required.

Also read this other thread where I have recently posted to understand the differences of the two types of drivers needed depending on the mode of the tablet and what you want to do...

Guest pompey007

Download and use the AUDI tool to install the appropriate drivers...

http://android.modac.../page__hl__audi

...read the thread to get a good idea of what is required.

Also read this other thread where I have recently posted to understand the differences of the two types of drivers needed depending on the mode of the tablet and what you want to do...

http://android.modac...usb-connection/

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - the vega driver installer looks like a valuable tool, especially for a novice like me.

Current situation:

* I have USB from vega plugged into a rear port on pc

* Vega powered up and USB debugging selected

* Ran advent vega driver installer - have completed all parts including install drivers (which says it was successful)

* Message at bottom of section 2 is still red? see screenshot

Next step?

thanks

post-867949-0-82017700-1327349335_thumb.

Guest pompey007

Sorry for all the questions... but I can get the green box in the recovery mode section. Can I use that method to install corvus 5. Have to say I am struggling to understand differences between ADB and recovery mode?

Guest dibbles

The reason that I pointed you to those two threads is that they can offer insight to your situation and then offer some clues as to where to go from there.

For example within the Audi thread it is mentioned about the Audi Guide...

... the above goes into detail about the very question you have asked about the different driver modes. It uses a manual method, rather than the tool AUDI, to install the correct drivers but it should still be a valuable aid to your issues.

The second link I posted has information within it about something called Vega Tools version 4.1 (2nd post) . You could use that methodology to install the modified stock ROM ver 2 which will automatically install CWM which will then allow you to install the Corvus ROM. Or you could use that tool to install CWM and the recovery app to your stock ROM and then boot into recovery (CWM) and install Corvus from there once it is on your SD card.

The red message is, I would have thought, quite easy to understand it is just what the issue is which is causing it that can sometimes take a while for people to get to grips with. Hopefully reading the guide will help you to understand the differences in the two modes and the drivers needed to ensure both modes are available for you to do with as you need. Getting the drivers installed can, at times, be one of the biggest issue people face when trying to install a ROM or modify the Vega. Even though I have had my tablet for a while it can still cause me an odd headache in getting the appropriate driver for what I want to do.

The Vega Tools version 4.1...

...again I advise you to read the entire thread as by doing so you will notice questions asked and replied to which I'm sure will help you.

Good luck and don't forget with the Corvus ROM there is SP1 to flash after and I use the noted Honey Comb theme.

Edited by dibbles

Guest pompey007

The reason that I pointed you to those two threads is that they can offer insight to your situation and then offer some clues as to where to go from there.

For example within the Audi thread it is mentioned about the Audi Guide...

http://android.modac...age__hl__yaudig

... the above goes into detail about the very question you have asked about the different driver modes. It uses a manual method, rather than the tool AUDI, to install the correct drivers but it should still be a valuable aid to your issues.

The second link I posted has information within it about something called Vega Tools version 4.1 (2nd post) . You could use that methodology to install the modified stock ROM ver 2 which will automatically install CWM which will then allow you to install the Corvus ROM. Or you could use that tool to install CWM and the recovery app to your stock ROM and then boot into recovery (CWM) and install Corvus from there once it is on your SD card.

The red message is, I would have thought, quite easy to understand it is just what the issue is which is causing it that can sometimes take a while for people to get to grips with. Hopefully reading the guide will help you to understand the differences in the two modes and the drivers needed to ensure both modes are available for you to do with as you need. Getting the drivers installed can, at times, be one of the biggest issue people face when trying to install a ROM or modify the Vega. Even though I have had my tablet for a while it can still cause me an odd headache in getting the appropriate driver for what I want to do.

The Vega Tools version 4.1...

http://android.modac...vega-tools-v41/

...again I advise you to read the entire thread as by doing so you will notice questions asked and replied to which I'm sure will help you.

Good luck and don't forget with the Corvus ROM there is SP1 to flash after and I use the noted Honey Comb theme.

Thank you (and others) very much for your advice and pointing me in the right direction. There is so much useful information and helpful instructions on this forum but sometimes you just need a nudge in the right direction and a clue as to where to look!

The audi guide was immensly helpful and I had the lightbulb moment when reading so that I now understand the 3 different modes and which drivers are required and what each modes is for. The next hardest step was getting the vega into recovery mode, the audi tool was very helpful to give a visual guide as it took a number of efforts before success.

So I have flashed the stock rom and installed Corvus. (Is there a way to check that I have SP1?).

My son will be very happy when he wakes up in the morning!! Finally, is there a useful guide to Corvus5 that I could show him so that he understands what he can do (I am sure he will find out a lot himself, he is more than happy to play around!)

Once again, many thanks!!

Guest dibbles
So I have flashed the stock rom and installed Corvus. (Is there a way to check that I have SP1?).

unless you have flashed the SP1 for the Corvus ROM via CWM then you will not have got it.

what I do is to flash the ROM and then boot. Then boot back to CWM to flash the Honeycomb them and then the SP1. They both can be got from here...

...2nd post.

Have a look at the screen-shot of the HC theme, it really does make a worthwhile difference to the ROM's visual appearance which is worth having.

Not seen a guide as such. It soon becomes quite intuitive to navigate yourself around and figure things out.

Just ensure that once you have got it as you wish then boot back into CWM and then use the back up and restore function to backup the ROM then if things go a little pear shape you can look to restoring the ROM back to that state.

When you do get on the market take a look at Titanium Pro (I have bought the app as it is well worth the cost).

You are also welcome btw and I hope that your Son does indeed enjoy his tablet. :)

Edited by dibbles

Guest pompey007

unless you have flashed the SP1 for the Corvus ROM via CWM then you will not have got it.

what I do is to flash the ROM and then boot. Then boot back to CWM to flash the Honeycomb them and then the SP1. They both can be got from here...

http://android.modac...vus-teamed-rom/

...2nd post.

Have a look at the screen-shot of the HC theme, it really does make a worthwhile difference to the ROM's visual appearance which is worth having.

Not seen a guide as such. It soon becomes quite intuitive to navigate yourself around and figure things out.

Just ensure that once you have got it as you wish then boot back into CWM and then use the back up and restore function to backup the ROM then if things go a little pear shape you can look to restoring the ROM back to that state.

When you do get on the market take a look at Titanium Pro (I have bought the app as it is well worth the cost).

You are also welcome btw and I hope that your Son does indeed enjoy his tablet. :)

Thanks, getting late now so just a few further questions:

1. How do I boot into clockwork mod?

2. I have downloaded zip files for HC theme & SP1 - then what do i do. presume will be apparant when in clockwork mod?

3. Once that all done and son happy, I then go back into CWM to back up?

4. Assume Titanium Pro is a back-up tool?

Ta

Guest dibbles

1. Use your wireless connection to connect to the Internet. Go into Apps and then launch the ROM Manager. Allow it to update if required but also allow it to "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". It has to do this so ensure you select the correct device when the options are listed - that bit is important. Allow it to flash and then "Reboot into Recovery". Even though you have CWM installed I have always found that the Rom Manager will not recognise it and needs to flash its own first and then it will boot the tablet into CWM.

2. Put those files on the SD card PRIOR to the above. When in CWM select option to "install zip from SD card" and do just that. First for the theme and then for SP1.

reboot - you will see the option in CWM.

3. Yes. Use Rom Manager to reboot to CWM and then use the backup and restore function.

4. What CWM can do for a complete ROM (and apps) Titanium Pro...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackupPro&hl=en

...has bells and whistles to do something similar in a different way - but not backup the ROM. Have a read on the above linked site and then decide whether it will be something that you could need. You don't have to invest into that right away I just want you to be aware of it. For me it has been absolutely invaluable over the years for what it can do.

The priority is to get a working tablet and then create a backup up in CWM, imo.

At some stage it will be required to create an account prior to using the Market. Just follow the on-screen guide or if you have one already enter your details as needed.

IMO do not use the ROM Manager for anything other than to install or upgrade the correctly chosen CWM and to boot into recovery to CWM.

Also check out the Wi-Fi on and off widget from the market by Curvefish and also, by the same dev, the brightness widget.

Apply those widgets to the desktop of the tablet, as they are both very useful.

Edited by dibbles

Guest pompey007

Great. I will give this a go tomorrow - looks fairly straightforward!

I put the two files onto the SD card. Went into ROM manager and flashed clockworkmod recovery, I then selected reboot into recovery, which I assume is meant to get me into CWM. I just get the image of a white box with an orange arrow coming out of it - left it for 10 mins or so then turned off and on again, tried again same thing happened?

When I go back into ROM manager v3.0.2.0, the first two options under recovery are:

Flash Clockworkmod recovery - current recovery clockworkmod 2.5.1.4

Reboot into recovery

I do get the option to install ROM from SD card but assume I have to be in CWM first?

Should the reboot take long?

Thanks

Guest dibbles

No something it what you did has not gone right. However there is another way which should be easier...

Use Vega Tools 4.1 when the Vega is in ADB mode and connected to the PC. Use those tools to install CWM AND the recovery APP. When done check inside the app drawer and you the APP called "recovery". Use that to boot into CWM.

I have just tried the above and it works a treat.

I do get the option to install ROM from SD card but assume I have to be in CWM first?

remember my last post where I advised not using the ROM Manager for anything other than a mechanism to boot into CWM...? Using the other method posted you will not even need it for that now :)

Good luck

Guest pompey007

No something it what you did has not gone right. However there is another way which should be easier...

Use Vega Tools 4.1 when the Vega is in ADB mode and connected to the PC. Use those tools to install CWM AND the recovery APP. When done check inside the app drawer and you the APP called "recovery". Use that to boot into CWM.

I have just tried the above and it works a treat.

remember my last post where I advised not using the ROM Manager for anything other than a mechanism to boot into CWM...? Using the other method posted you will not even need it for that now :)

Good luck

Thanks, have taken your advice and installed CWM and recovery app via vega tools.

I installed corvus 5.1 from zip and the HC theme. Also did a back-up so I know how that works. Have also downloaded the 2 apps from curvefish and installed as widgets.

Many thanks again for your help. My knowledge has certainly improved and with the help of yourself and some great tools (vegatools, Audi) I am a lot more confident in how it all hangs together!

My son is already using it loads...happy days! :D

Guest dibbles

You are welcome for the help :)

The brightness widget can be configured that once pressed will apply the settings and then return back to the desktop. I have found that with the Corvus ROM the brightness is never at full when first booted. So I use that widget and click on 50% and it will immediately go brighter. Then I click on 100% and it is then at its brightness. This has to be repeated once each fresh boot. No big deal but it is useful to know.