[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

BIG CHANGES:

1. Rom now is fully internationalized.

For U8220 (Pulse) users: Because of that rom uses more space. It is 106MB in system size. it REQUIRES bigger partition layout. Only TRE 2.1 and CHT8000 2.1 official roms can give such layout - big enough to accommodate the rom. UK roms are no more sufficient. Installation of TRE or CHT8000 roms is prerequisite if gapps are also required.

2. DT Apps2SD are now provided separately. Install via recovery after rom installation if needed.

Let me introduce results of our collective work:

- CyanogenMod 7.2, originally built by dtox125

- Camera work by dr.flo

- Kernel 2.6.32 by pier11

Other features:

- better Open GL lib by sun lbx (Neocore renders the city)

- fully internationalized rom

In this release:

- Fixed wifi reconnection issue. New wifi driver.

- HQ video smooth playback.

- Camera button can take pictures.

- Reboots into recovery.

- Blur effect configured as in cm6 now.

- Turned off ics-style rotation animation that caused green screens for some.

- Some performance tune ups.

Install instructions:

- make backup of your previous installation

- wipe everything in recovery - data/factory_reset, format system partition in mount menu

- Use /system partition of not less than 110MB. For u8220 (Pulse) users: installation of official TRE 2.1 or CHT8000 2.1 roms would help.

- Install rom first, then DT Apps2SD if needed, then gapps, reboot

Limitations:

- ext3/4 is not supported

- mac address is not correct. (SetMacAddress app looks causing problems to wifi driver, don't use it so far).

NEWS:

Mar 1: Updated rom with many improvements discovered after initial release. See "In this release" section for details.

Jan 31: Reboot into recovery fixed. You may install boot image only.

Jan 30: Updated rom:

- Compcache is functional now. ("Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> Compcache RAM Usage")

Jan 28:

- Fully internationalized - try language of your choice.

- Rom requires bigger partition layout. For u8220 (Pulse) users: installation of TRE 2.1 or CHT8000 2.1 official roms is prerequisite. UK roms are no more enough.

- DT Apps2SD are provided separately now. Install via recovery after rom installation if needed.

- Fixed native A2SD (Neocore now installs fine to sd card).

Jan 27:

- Added overclock to 748 MHz. Default is 528 MHz. Thanks to dtox125 !

Jan 25:

- fix for Melfas touchscreen (some u8230 devices have it)

Download:

cm7.2_u8220_20120301.zip (kernel: aa9be9811610cfd1257fe3088c1a4ed7ea13fed2)

Dark Tremor Apps2SD

gapps-gb-YYYMMDD.zip

For curious minds:

One can install data2ext_for_CM.zip solution instead of DT Apps2SD. It maps ext partition on sd card as /data. Phone treats it as bigger internal storage after. After installation type in Terminal:

data2ext --enable

reboot when asked. Report if you liked it better than DT Apps2SD.

(continued on the second post below)

Edited by pier11

Known issues:

- old usb driver does not work. Workaround: install newer driver. This one was suggested in this thread among others.

Obsolete versions (don't download):

- Kernel fix for boot into recovery:

recovery 2.5.0.x is needed to install this update (this particular package does not work well with newer recovery versions.)

boot-img-reboot-recovery_20120131.zip (kernel: aa9be9811610cfd1257fe3088c1a4ed7ea13fed2)

- Compcache is functional now. ("Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> Compcache RAM Usage")

cm7.2_u8220_20120130.zip (kernel: 383aea246751e9999313166511944e42e98fe2b7)

- Fully internationalized.

- Rom requires bigger partition layout 110MB of system partition.

- DT Apps2SD are provided separately now. Install via recovery after rom installation if needed.

- Fixed native A2SD (Apps now installs fine to sd card).

cm7.2_u8220_20120128.zip (kernel: c64b472ab31577876707d3b9ffd727d096a83657)

- Added overclock to 748 MHz. Default is 528 MHz. Thanks to dtox125 !

cm7.2_u8220_20120127.zip (kernel: 660f6b7f76b26f48db8aec55e852323c5949b541)

Separate overclocked kernel:

overclock.boot-img.zip (kernel: 660f6b7f76b26f48db8aec55e852323c5949b541)

- fix for Melfas touchscreen (some u8230 devices have it);

- moved launcher and filemanager back to /system/app as suggested by twrock.

cm7.2_u8220_20120125.zip (kernel: 70703d9a955dceca73acf77d1442225e6b207420)

- added Melfas touchscreen

- doesn't reboot due to wifi inactivity

- fix for headphones caused reboot on unplugging

cm7.2_u8220_20120123.zip (issues with Melfas touchscreen) (kernel: 64b464e1b00ccc0de2c7cee478feb3a9ef52d4cf)

Edited by pier11

Nice ROM :)

I just noticed that it shows "problem loading widget" just like the old dtox125 rom from august. The rom I compiled correctly loads the widgets. Maybe my source is newer (I synced repo when I first posted that I've rebuilt CM7 from source, about 3 weeks ago)?

But I'm fine with it, since I would remove the widgets anyways.

I always use Zeam launcher 2.8.8 (the last version that also works on eclair), because it has a small memory footprint and is quite fast.

Guest rulerofkaos

Does the kernel support an ext partition on the sd card?

I found a bug: I'm not able to reboot into recovery from inside the rom.

But the .32 seems way faster than the .29 kernel.

Guest lloco73

can anyone tell what languages are included in this rom? when tested the rom with kkernel .29 from the other post it didn't have my language (Portuguese). Is it possible to add it?

Guest jgilalonso

Hi,

Great job!!

I'll try to install this evening to verify that all it's ok.

I think that before begin to work with ICS, it's necessary fix all the issues.

I've found a list of features of kernel 2.6.32

It's possible test if these features are in this ROM? At least, "For Users".

I believe that important features like 6 and 19 are not present in this kernel.

Thanks a lot!!

Features included in Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Kernel 2.6.32, API Level 8

Table_01: Android 2.2 Features

For Users

1. Tips Widget – the new tips widget at the home screen provide support to users to configure home screen and add new widgets.

2. Exchange Calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.

3. Easy set up and sync an Exchange account, you just have to enter your user-name and password

4. In composing an email, users can now auto-complete recipient names from the directory with the global address list look up feature.

5. Onscreen buttons give easy access to UI to control camera features such as zoom, focus, flash, etc.

6. Wi-Fi hotspot and USB tethering

7. Multiple language recognition simultaneously

8. Enhance browser performance using Chrome V8 engine, which enhance faster loading of pages, more than 3, 4 times compared to Android 2.1

9. Better memory management, you can experience smooth multi tasking even on memory constrained devices.

10. New media framework supports local file playback and HTTP progressive streaming.

11. Support applications over Bluetooth such as voice dialling, share contacts with other phones, Bluetooth enabled car kits and headsets.

For Network Providers

12. Improved security with numeric pin or alpha-numeric password options to unlock device.

13. Remote Wipe – remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data in case device is lost or stolen.

For Developers

14. Applications can request installation on the shared external storage (such as an SD card).

15. Apps can utilize Android Cloud to Device Messaging to enable mobile alert, send to phone, and two-way push sync functionality.

16. New bug reporting feature for Android Market apps enables developers to receive crash and freeze reports from their users.

17. Provides new APIs for audio focus, routing audio to SCO, and auto-scan of files to media database. Also provides APIs to let applications detect completion of sound loading and auto-pause and auto-resume audio playback.

18. Camera now supports portrait orientation, zoom controls, access to exposure data, and a thumbnail utility. A new camcorder profile enables apps to determine device hardware capabilities.

19. New APIs for OpenGL ES 2.0, working with YUV image format, and ETC1 for texture compression.

20. New “car mode” and “night mode” controls and configurations allow applications to adjust their UI for these situations.

21. Scale gesture detector API provides improved definition of multi-touch events.

22. Applications can customize the bottom strip of a TabWidget.

Install rom "cm7.2_u8220_YYYYDDMM.zip" then "gapps-gb-YYYMMDD.zip" in the end did not load smart. stopped on inscriptions "android", waited a long time, but ....

wipe did. Installs on THG mod.

can something wrong?

Install rom "cm7.2_u8220_YYYYDDMM.zip" then "gapps-gb-YYYMMDD.zip" in the end did not load smart. stopped on inscriptions "android", waited a long time, but ....

wipe did. Installs on THG mod.

can something wrong?

I have the same problem. I installed over the preverious CM7.2 bulid with full wipe.

Nice ROM :)

I just noticed that it shows "problem loading widget" just like the old dtox125 rom from august. The rom I compiled correctly loads the widgets. Maybe my source is newer (I synced repo when I first posted that I've rebuilt CM7 from source, about 3 weeks ago)?

I compiled CM7 yesterday myself, synced the same day. Widget were there as they supposed to be. But I had weird artifact that made me use dtox's version instead. I got "green screen of death" and then reboot of android. Rotation gave it 100% of time. Sometimes it appeared spontaneously. Other that that it worked. Have you ever experienced that?

can anyone tell what languages are included in this rom? when tested the rom with kkernel .29 from the other post it didn't have my language (Portuguese). Is it possible to add it?

same limited localization as you saw previously.

but keyboard likely supports your language.

I got "green screen of death" and then reboot of android. Rotation gave it 100% of time. Sometimes it appeared spontaneously. Other that that it worked. Have you ever experienced that?

No - but maybe I just picked a lucky day for syncing the repo... we would maybe want to checkout gingerbread-release instead of gingerbread, to have a more stable setup. But then again, I guess it would be labeled CM7.1

I've one question regarding the various a2sd/app2sd/data2sd/etc stuff. I've not yet fully understood how many variations are around there and what advantages each individual version has. On Eclair, I used "Link2SD" and was very happy with it, because it just worked and I believe I understood how it worked.

As far as I know, a clean build of CM7 only features Android's native mechanism which moves apps into .android_secure on the sd card main partition. Is this true?

I would suggest to keep it that way and not add any 3rd party alternative directly into the ROM. I know the native mechanism has some disadvantages, but I think everyone should be able to pick one's own preferred alternative and set it up on his own.

I just ask this because I've seen some move_cache_sd etc scripts in the dtox based rom... I'm getting more and more confused...

I have the same problem. I installed over the preverious CM7.2 bulid with full wipe.

What is full wipe for you?

I always do

• wipe data
  • format system

the latter might be critical, because any of the wipe functions leave system partition untouched. Also you have to make sure your system partition is large enough, by having installed UK 2010 update once before installing CM7.

You can also try to just install CM7 without google apps. This will even work with small system partitions. If this works for you, then you know where your problem is...

I just ask this because I've seen some move_cache_sd etc scripts in the dtox based rom... I'm getting more and more confused...

Let's mr. dtox comment - I used his assembly as is in this regard

About kernel .32 being faster than kernel .29 -> are there any means of quantifying this?

Is this really related to the kernel or to the broken libEGL which you have fixed in this thread's rom?

Guest dtox125

I compiled CM7 yesterday myself, synced the same day. Widget were there as they supposed to be. But I had weird artifact that made me use dtox's version instead. I got "green screen of death" and then reboot of android. Rotation gave it 100% of time. Sometimes it appeared spontaneously. Other that that it worked. Have you ever experienced that?

i compiled it my self yesterday and with new changes in your git repo for .32 and also got green screan but only when start the camera app.dont know why yet.

i compiled it my self yesterday and with new changes in your git repo for .32 and also got green screan but only when start the camera app.dont know why yet.

Cool to know that is not only me :) Thanks

fleshed cm7.2_u8220_YYYYDDMM.zip, gapps did not apply.

on 'android' stop for 10 minutes.

try to reformat sd-ext to ext2 to eliminate this possibility (not sure it is necessary though)

also logcat and dmesg could shed some light...

What is full wipe for you?

I always do

• wipe data
  • format system

You can also try to just install CM7 without google apps. This will even work with small system partitions. If this works for you, then you know where your problem is...
I tried the following:
  • wipe dalvik and format system -> install rom and gappswipe/factory reset (this is format sd-ext too), format system, wipe dalvik -> install rom and gappswipe dalvik and format system -> install romwipe/factory reset (this is format sd-ext too), format system, wipe dalvik -> install rom

all of these stuck at android text.

I have installed the preverious CM7.2 over the latest t-mobile uk update and gapps.