802.1X password exploit on many HTC Android devices

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Back in September 2011 several HTC Devices were found disclosing WiFi credentials to Android applications, allowing their transmission to the author.

The affected handsets are:

• Desire HD (both "ace" and "spade" board revisions) - Versions FRG83D, GRI40

• Glacier - Version FRG83

• Droid Incredible - Version FRF91

• Thunderbolt 4G - Version FRG83D

• Sensation Z710e - Version GRI40

• Sensation 4G - Version GRI40

• Desire S - Version GRI40

• EVO 3D - Version GRI40

• EVO 4G - Version GRI40

Instead of an immediate Public Disclosure, the researchers who stumbled on the flaw contacted Google and HTC Global regarding the issue.

It took HTC and Google 24 hours to verify the exploit, and the Public Disclosure was delayed for four months to allow Google to make changes in the Android code to better protect the credential store, and for HTC to create software updates for all affected handsets.

So what is this exploit? A short abstract from Bret Jordans' blog explains it best:

There is an issue in certain HTC builds of Android that can expose the user's 802.1X Wi-Fi credentials to any program with basic WI-FI permissions.

When this is paired with the Internet access permissions, which most applications have, an application could easily send all stored Wi-Fi network credentials (user names, passwords, and SSID information) to a remote server.

This exploit exposes enterprise-privileged credentials in a manner that allows targeted exploitation.

Customers with affected software versions can find information from HTC about updating their handset at: http://www.htc.com/www/help/

Google has also completed a code scan of every application currently available in the Android Market and there are no applications currently exploiting this vulnerability.

If anyone wants the full technical how it works, Bret Jordan's blog post, click here, has full information of how the exploit worked.

I'm curious to know if anyone is still running one of the affected software versions listed above, let us know in the comments if you are.

Source: US-CERT

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest SilentBob

So where to I find this version number ("Versions FRG83D, GRI40") for reference?

I have an Orange UK Desire HD and am still waiting for the Android 2.3.5/Sense3.0 update. As such, my previous update pre-dates this news by a long way. I can not see anything in the "software information" that includes either of these codes, so are carrier devices "safe"? If not then it is a bit concerning that this has now been made public whilst there are still so many devices out there running the old software.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.