G1 blank screen

Guest artpage

Guest artpage

Hello, I managed to brick a G1 htc dream and the screen glows but remains black. I took it in to be mended but they said the screens ok but the phone is bricked. Does anyone know how to hack into a G1 android from a Linux machine using a usb cable? The problem is of course that the phones are designed in such a way as the phone user has to give permission to connect with the pc. How does one get past this if the phone's screen remains blank. Id like to reinstall.

Big thanks to anyone who has a way forward.

Edited by artpage

Guest jp_hero
Hello, I managed to brick a G1 htc dream and the screen glows but remains black. I took it in to be mended but they said the screens ok but the phone is bricked. Does anyone know how to hack into a G1 android from a Linux machine using a usb cable? The problem is of course that the phones are designed in such a way as the phone user has to give permission to connect with the pc. How does one get past this if the phone's screen remains blank. Id like to reinstall.

Big thanks to anyone who has a way forward.

Can you get into recovery when you hit power on?

Guest artpage

Can you get into recovery when you hit power on?

No this is the problem, I've watched all the videos and read a heap of stuff but I'm still facing this one hurdle, nothing on the screen, so no triangle or boot menu to choose from. I've tried a number of key combinations and may have achieved all kinds of things but it's impossible to tell. All I know is that it's got me nowhere image wise. This leaves me with two options? a micro sd card recovery program or some form of usb hack?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest artpage

Your last resort is to either find the correct ruu for your g1 or connect via fastboot on your pc and flash a new rom.

Thanks, I lsusb 'd it and detected the ID and could see the phone could go in fastboot mode using buttons. So installed SDK but couldn't see anything with adb devices, all that I've found so far is that sdk's fastboot app can show me the SN of my device.

Maybe it'll be possible to flash a new rom: would it require the microSD card to be in phone at this point or do these things take part in the hardware proper?

Guest jp_hero

Your going to have to read up on fastboot commands. Have you looked into the jtag stuff. It's a little usb connector you can use to debug devices. Again read up lots before you buy it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest artpage

Your going to have to read up on fastboot commands. Have you looked into the jtag stuff. It's a little usb connector you can use to debug devices. Again read up lots before you buy it

I read up on the fastboot commands and managed to send a boot.img to the phone but couldn't get it to do anything. I'm not sure if the phone has any partitions left on it, or is this just because sdk can't read them?

As for jtag stuff, it looked as if the usb connection goes into the pc and the serial port is solder onto the phone's board, or at least that's the only example I could find in pictures on twitter. If it was serial port to pc and usb to phone it would look more hopeful.