[ROM] Early Days Test CM9 Build

Guest Fuzzra

Guest adroc

I see a lot of work being done on the skate side by tilal, with better battery support, working camera, and many more. But so far we don't have updates on the crescent port of this work.

It seems Fuzzra is taken by something else these days ?

Dazzozo, you seem to know your way around in building a rom from source.

I am comfortable at building projects in linux, and would like to begin tinkering with this. That is, looking at tilal's source, making the necessary changes for porting to the crescent, and trying to compile this.

What should I start with ? I found tilal's and ColdfusionX source on github, this was easy.

The big question is, what changes have to be done for porting to the crescent ? Fuzzra, if you read this, even if you don't have time to do the work yourself, would you share some guidelines ?

Then, what is the workflow for compiling ? What environment do you do this in ?

Is it possible to test the build on a virtual machine ? Or do you have to flash it for tests ?

I suppose I cannot reinvent the wheel, but would be very glad to try to help.

Maybe we could try joining forces and split work time ?

Edited by adroc

Guest Dazzozo

What should I start with ? I found tilal's and ColdfusionX source on github, this was easy.

That's the ZTE common stuff, I'm currently building with this, unmodified.

The big question is, what changes have to be done for porting to the crescent ? Fuzzra, if you read this, even if you don't have time to do the work yourself, would you share some guidelines ?

I've personally taken Fuzzra's Crescent specific device configuration which I guessed the link for. https://github.com/fuzzra/android_device_zte_blade2

Then, what is the workflow for compiling ? What environment do you do this in ?

I used this to get started: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/ZTE_Blade:_Compile_CyanogenMod_%28Linux%29 Obviously this is for CM7 and the Blade, so change it where necessary.

Is it possible to test the build on a virtual machine ? Or do you have to flash it for tests ?

Not entirely sure about this. I've been actually flashing it for testing, but I know there's the AVD available as part of the Android SDK. Not sure if you can use a regular ROM with it, but... Even so, the AVD is painfully slow.

I suppose I cannot reinvent the wheel, but would be very glad to try to help.

Maybe we could try joining forces and split work time ?

I'm up for this if we could work something out.

Guest adroc

thank you Dazzozo for your answers . I'm peeking into the various sources right now, trying to find my way, get everything together, see if I can actually have something compiled.

I have been looking at the differences between Fuzzra's and Tilal's configuration files. Some are obvious, but for the most part I have loads of things to understand first.

Edited by adroc

Guest Dazzozo

Digging in to these drivers now.

Edit: No luck with them personally. Tried all the approaches I could think of but it seems some changes need to be made at a higher level first. I can't get to the boot animation on every approach.

Edit 2: It's not all bad news, some moderately good news is on the way. ;)

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

New build! Nope, no April Fools here! Darktremor A2SD scripts, Android 4.0.4, newer ZTE common configuration from tilal6991, functioning RIL after I broke it again, (still) broken calculator and camera and possibly even more exciting phone-destroying features to be found!

Grab it here: http://www.mediafire...ex2ixe9sal0e4nt

If you want to stay on the previous builds for whatever reason, I've got a separate flashable zip of the A2SD scripts here: http://www.mediafire...e69w1wxegx5ak4f

These also come with a compatible mount script, providing your partition is ext3, a lot of which was stolen from the guys in the Blade forum getting A2SD running on tilal's ColdFusionX.

Grab your Google apps from: http://goo-inside.me/gapps or use GooManager in the ROM.

Edit: I should probably mention this doesn't include the new ARMv6 drivers unless tilal did some fancy work in the ZTE common repo.

Edit 2: ...which I'm pretty sure he hasn't, he seems to be waiting on the ICS4Blade guys. I'll move the changes across to this ROM when he has them out.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Josef Prusa

New build! Nope, no April Fools here! Darktremor A2SD scripts, Android 4.0.4, newer ZTE common configuration from tilal6991, functioning RIL after I broke it again, (still) broken calculator and camera and possibly even more exciting phone-destroying features to be found!

If you want to stay on the previous builds for whatever reason, I've got a separate flashable zip of the A2SD scripts here: http://www.mediafire...e69w1wxegx5ak4f

These also come with a compatible mount script, providing your partition is ext3, a lot of which was stolen from the guys in the Blade forum getting A2SD running on tilal's ColdFusionX.

Grab your Google apps from: http://goo-inside.me/gapps or use GooManager in the ROM.

Edit: I should probably mention this doesn't include the new ARMv6 drivers unless tilal did some fancy work in the ZTE common repo.

Edit 2: ...which I'm pretty sure he hasn't, he seems to be waiting on the ICS4Blade guys. I'll move the changes across to this ROM when he has them out.

Hi, any idea if this works on the Vivacity? The other ROMs have different kernel for it...

Guest Dazzozo

Hi, any idea if this works on the Vivacity? The other ROMs have different kernel for it...

Ah I knew I forgot to mention something! Use Fuzzra's Vivacity kernel in the OP.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Thanks dude, I'll give it a whirl.

Guest iharrybao

ah ooooh .

bluetooth, wifi, and some settings are broken...

some new things are english versions, I almost cannot understand them...I'm Chinese

Guest Dazzozo

Bluetooth and WiFi are working fine for me - I've been downloading my usual 200 apps over WiFi. I'm also not aware of there being any broken settings -- can you be a little more specific? 

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest gregdeberg

Hi :)

I tried this new rom and all works fine (except camera) but a thing seems strange : after the installation of Google apps... any google apps appear on ICS ?! strange strange...?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english :)

quote name='Dazzozo' timestamp='1333276036' post='1926731']

Bluetooth and WiFi are working fine for me - I've been downloading my usual 200 apps over WiFi. I'm also not aware of there being any broken settings -- can you be a little more specific?

Guest Dazzozo

Hi :)

I tried this new rom and all works fine (except camera) but a thing seems strange : after the installation of Google apps... any google apps appear on ICS ?! strange strange...?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english :)

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Google apps should install Play Store, Talk and a couple of others.

Guest gregdeberg

Ok, so in fact i understood when i verified which TPT i used before and actually the rom space wasn't enough (enough for the ICS's Rom but not enough for the ICS's Rom + Google apps), so i changed for SF2 v2c TPT !

Thanks

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Google apps should install Play Store, Talk and a couple of others.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Thx Dazzozo, definitely an improvement on the last release, I wish someone would add SmartAssv2 governor though. I'm guessing the battery life would be much better.

I got one graphical error after installing, it's seemed much better since then.

I'm sure using the official graphics drivers would make it smoother though, not sure why Tilal is resisting them. Official should always be better. If only ZTE would get their finger out and give us some sort of official ICS framework as well.

Guest Dazzozo

Thx Dazzozo, definitely an improvement on the last release, I wish someone would add SmartAssv2 governor though. I'm guessing the battery life would be much better.

I'll see what I can do about adding smartassv2 for the next release.

I got one graphical error after installing, it's seemed much better since then.

I have absolutely no idea what's causing these and I'm reluctant to do anything in case they fix themselves when we get the drivers in.

I'm sure using the official graphics drivers would make it smoother though, not sure why Tilal is resisting them. Official should always be better. If only ZTE would get their finger out and give us some sort of official ICS framework as well.

It's a kernel issue, specifically relating to backporting KGSL and then fixing EGL. Bit out of our control at the moment as we're quite far along the 'food chain' - when this gets sorted out for the Blade guys I need to look at what (if anything) Fuzzra did to the kernel, and patch the Blade changes in. If I was to put a build out right now with them in, you wouldn't get to the boot animation.

Agreed, it would be appreciated if ZTE assisted a little, but I don't hold much hope for that. I'm quite surprised Qualcomm delivered on the drivers in the first place. It's very much a hack job by the people who know their way around the Blade kernel right now.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Thanks...

On another subject, how would you feel about having a crack at doing a CM7 port for the crescent?

No-one else seems to have had a go and it's the one thing the Crescent seems to be missing most. There are already ports out for the Blade and the Skate so I can't imagine it being impossible, maybe challenging but you seem up to the job (flattery will get you everywhere :P )

P.S. The graphical error I referred to must be a common fault in the ZTE family cos I see it on this video of the ZTE Blade fork at 4.04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE8Ku1xcnc4#t=4m04s

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Dazzozo

Thanks...

On another subject, how would you feel about having a crack at doing a CM7 port for the crescent?

No-one else seems to have had a go and it's the one thing the Crescent seems to be missing most. There are already ports out for the Blade and the Skate so I can't imagine it being impossible, maybe challenging but you seem up to the job (flattery will get you everywhere :P )

Cloning CM7 now. I'll see what I can do! It'll be an aside for when there's nothing happening on the ICS front, though. If it takes off I'll make a proper thread for it and support it.

P.S. The graphical error I referred to must be a common fault in the ZTE family cos I see it on this video of the ZTE Blade fork at 4.04

http://www.youtube.c...u1xcnc4#t=4m04s

Now I can stop feeling guilty, cheers!

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

I'm not resisting the new drivers. I'm working hard behind the scenes to get them to work.

Is there some kind of super cool irc channel I'm missing out on so I can be a little more on top of things?

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I'm not resisting the new drivers. I'm working hard behind the scenes to get them to work.

No probs dude, I just read another post where you said you hadn't added them and probably wouldn't, just found it a bit strange since they're from Qualcomm themselves. Honestly, I know nothing about this development lark so I know nothing about what you guys are facing. Sorry for any offence.

Cloning CM7 now. I'll see what I can do! It'll be an aside for when there's nothing happening on the ICS front, though. If it takes off I'll make a proper thread for it and support it.

Excellent news matey!!

Thx for all your help, It'll be cool if you can get it going, with my limited understanding I would think it would just be a matter of using one of the other ZTE's releases and replacing the kernel with our default one but obviously it's going to be more complicated than that. :)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Dazzozo

Excellent news matey!!

Thx for all your help, It'll be cool if you can get it going, with my limited understanding I would think it would just be a matter of using one of the other ZTE's releases and replacing the kernel with our default one but obviously it's going to be more complicated than that. :)

Honestly the only challenge with CM7 (I imagine) will be device config. I'll just use the gingerbread kernels we already have.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Honestly the only challenge with CM7 (I imagine) will be device config. I'll just use the gingerbread kernels we already have.

The overclockable kernels I presume?

Guest Dazzozo

The overclockable kernels I presume?

Why not. ;)

Edit: WOW CM7 went better than expected. Looking very promising.

Edit 2: Kernels may not be as simple as first thought, but I've managed to compile a working Vivacity one. I'll take another stab at trying to get the SF2 configuration to actually give me touchscreen input tomorrow when it's not 1am. :P

I think the already existing kernels don't work because of no CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G - it boot loops and kindly decides to throw me in recovery on them. At the moment I've just picked up everything flibblesan had, so that means its inherited the Wi-Fi issue too. :( I'll get these kernels sorted first (for both devices w/ OC) and then cry over the Wi-Fi issue.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Why not. ;)

Edit: WOW CM7 went better than expected. Looking very promising.

Edit 2: Kernels may not be as simple as first thought, but I've managed to compile a working Vivacity one. I'll take another stab at trying to get the SF2 configuration to actually give me touchscreen input tomorrow when it's not 1am. :P

I think the already existing kernels don't work because of no CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G - it boot loops and kindly decides to throw me in recovery on them. At the moment I've just picked up everything flibblesan had, so that means its inherited the Wi-Fi issue too. :( I'll get these kernels sorted first (for both devices w/ OC) and then cry over the Wi-Fi issue.

Nice, fast progress....would this topic help with the problem you described?

http://android.modac...es/page__st__20

Some google-fu there :P

You could, maybe, hit up Tilal for some help if you get stuck, he said he would help us get some kind of CM7 on the Crescent, of course he is kinda busy juggling 57 varieties of CM9 around at the moment.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa