[ROM] Early Days Test CM9 Build

Guest Fuzzra

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I've got better results than the ics branch which gave me the Android logo, and even so, it was a bit of a learning experience. :P

Returning to CM7 while tilal works out what's up, and I fixed the camera issue - just need to support the front facing one now.

Edit: Might regret the choice of wording there. "just". It seems it's either the rear camera or none at all! If I enable both cameras in the kernel config, the camera app force closes with "E/MediaProfiles( 753): The given camcorder profile camera 1 quality 0 is not found" in logcat. If I just support the rear camera it works like a dream. I have a feeling this is something ROM related (missing something in the device config) instead of kernel, I'll look later.

Maybe checkout the CM7 fork of some phone with both cameras to see how that does it?

Guest Dazzozo

Maybe checkout the CM7 fork of some phone with both cameras to see how that does it?

I'll look in to it, but I've just noticed some... interesting changes tilal has made to the kernel. Hopping back to CM9 again!

Guest tilal6991

The changes I made on common and Skate and the kernel on the ics-tilal branch of Tom G's repo are now good to go. You should be able to get everything to work. I'll be around if you need any help. :P

Guest Dazzozo

The changes I made on common and Skate and the kernel on the ics-tilal branch of Tom G's repo are now good to go. You should be able to get everything to work. I'll be around if you need any help. :P

Building on them as we speak! :D

Guest Dazzozo

Drivers are working!

Edit: Damn, an issue has returned from a previous build where the wifi isn't working, logcat says:

E/WifiStateMachine( 190): Failed to load driver!

E/WifiStateMachine( 190): DriverFailedState

On enable. :(

Working on it.

Edit 2: Wifi in the current device config is identical to how it was in Fuzzra's build. I have no clue :(

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Fuzzra

Sorry I've been absent lately - onslaught of outside life with fun things like fixing my flat and trying to tell the council that they owe me money, and shouldn't be sending a summons to empty my account.

I'm trying to look through things and get caught up again, but it may take a little bit to get in the right headspace - the last time I really wrangled code in anger was the late 90's, and I'd designed the board I was trying to control myself. Also there was nobody else in the flat while I was being productive. ;)

Dazzozo - grill me as much as you want on anything you're wrestling with. I'm very much learning as I go, but we're likely to be able to spot different things, so the old proverb about many hands goes in to play. Before things went a bit sketchy for me I was trying to sort out a more appropriate driver version for WIFI. I'll try to get over being all nervey and message you for a chat about where we both are (one of these days I'll work up to directly talking to tilal too, but I'm a shy old git.)

Guest Dazzozo

Sorry I've been absent lately - onslaught of outside life with fun things like fixing my flat and trying to tell the council that they owe me money, and shouldn't be sending a summons to empty my account.

I'm trying to look through things and get caught up again, but it may take a little bit to get in the right headspace - the last time I really wrangled code in anger was the late 90's, and I'd designed the board I was trying to control myself. Also there was nobody else in the flat while I was being productive. ;)

Dazzozo - grill me as much as you want on anything you're wrestling with. I'm very much learning as I go, but we're likely to be able to spot different things, so the old proverb about many hands goes in to play. Before things went a bit sketchy for me I was trying to sort out a more appropriate driver version for WIFI. I'll try to get over being all nervey and message you for a chat about where we both are (one of these days I'll work up to directly talking to tilal too, but I'm a shy old git.)

He returns!

Edit: Still crying over wifi. :( Maybe the blade driver would be a better fit?

Edit 2: Aha! Missing the wifi driver in the kernel. Going to try this: https://github.com/cyanogen/galaxy-2636/tree/7535e2e4990ce0466771e6275c72a55c8730d92c/drivers/net/wireless/bcm4330

Edit 3: Everything is a lot smoother but again, the colour banding fix made in the common repo hasn't had an effect here for some reason.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

The colour banding wasn't in common. It was in frameworks/base. The fix is on gerrit. I'll get it to you later.

That would explain it!

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Just to say, I've got access to a teamspeak server so if you guys all wanted to get together to actually talk through stuff together I'll give you the details..

Guest Dazzozo

Just to say, I've got access to a teamspeak server so if you guys all wanted to get together to actually talk through stuff together I'll give you the details..

I'm up for this.

Additionally, this driver was broken on arrival, I made some edits to get it compile but now when building the module it's complaining that all the stuff that was unused that I removed is now undefined. :huh:

Guest Dazzozo

Found another driver! Attempt two...

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,14498 - that should fix dithering. You just need to pull the latest change to common and that should fix dithering.

Got it, cheers.

Edit: Almost, but...

ERROR: "wlan_setup_power" [drivers/net/wireless/bcm4330/dhd.ko] undefined!

ERROR: "wlan_mem_prealloc" [drivers/net/wireless/bcm4330/dhd.ko] undefined!

:(

Edit 2: Very hackily got it to compile, but I'm not happy with how. Predicting this won't work...

Edit 3: Nope. Same error as before. Running out of options...

Edit 4: Going to need some assistance with the wifi module to get this off the ground. I'm assuming that's what's broken as everything else wifi related is the same as previous builds. Only the kernel has had to be changed. If people really want it, I can upload a build with the drivers, but broken wifi.

Edit 5: I think this is related - Bluetooth is also broken and I'm led to believe that this is also part of the wifi chip. (bcm4330)

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest RedZombie

Hey all, thanks for the awesome work you have been doing. New to Android but have been running this ROM for 3 days on my OSFII and thought I would share my findings. Btw, I am not a programmer so if I get something wrong my apologies!

Battery life good after calibration, although runs very hot on charging.

Browser fc regularly, happens with stock and dolphin HD so not sure if its something I am doing?

Managed to get maps and latitude working after a while, kept asking for permission to use Google account.

Should wifi hotspot work?

Data fine, wireless fine, headset fine.

Any chance of a release with the back camera functionality? Don't care about front camera until able to video call.

Doesn't seem to be a file manager?

Excellent work really, thanks again. Can't wait for next release!

Guest Dazzozo

Hey all, thanks for the awesome work you have been doing. New to Android but have been running this ROM for 3 days on my OSFII and thought I would share my findings. Btw, I am not a programmer so if I get something wrong my apologies!

Battery life good after calibration, although runs very hot on charging.

Browser fc regularly, happens with stock and dolphin HD so not sure if its something I am doing?

Managed to get maps and latitude working after a while, kept asking for permission to use Google account.

Should wifi hotspot work?

Data fine, wireless fine, headset fine.

Any chance of a release with the back camera functionality? Don't care about front camera until able to video call.

Doesn't seem to be a file manager?

Excellent work really, thanks again. Can't wait for next release!

A lot of things will probably change, intentionally and unintentionally in the next build. Camera was personally next on my agenda once the GPU drivers were in, but obviously if you've been reading above, that's broken wifi which now needs fixing before I release the build.

Running hot while charging - I can say my observations are this is a device problem, as on Gingerbread I also encountered this.

Browsers - not encountered this, but I'll certainly look in to it, again, once the wifi is fixed :P

There's no file manager in CM9 yet - you'll have to grab one from the market. I don't plan on making any modifications to CM9 itself anymore.

Guest Dazzozo

Thanks dude, I have been trying to follow what's going on but I will admit not fully understanding!

Neither do I, if I'm honest. Hoping tilal will lend a hand with the wifi module. *hint hint* ;)

Guest adroc
There's no file manager in CM9 yet - you'll have to grab one from the market. I don't plan on making any modifications to CM9 itself anymore.

F-droid repo has OI Manager available, I am using it with Fuzzra's first build. Works nicely

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

If Fuzzra's still around, I'm guessing he compiled the previous wifi module - any hints? :P

You should pm Tilal and Fuzzra and if they're free on the weekend you could have a jamming session, as I said I have a teamspeak server you guys can use to "conference" (if you all have mics/headsets of course)

Guest Dazzozo

Colour banding fix is now in, looking very pretty and running very smooth. Hopefully we can make some progress with the wifi tomorrow.

Edit: The most essential features of the phone - calculator and live wallpapers - also now work!

It'd be nice if this could be committed to some kind of kernel repo - I don't really think it's right for me to be forking the entire kernel for the sake of it: https://gist.github.com/2315175

...or is forking a good idea in this case? It'd save me having to hold on to any blade2 specific changes for the rest of time...

Edit 2: Fuzzra saves the day, maybe? https://github.com/fuzzra/kernel_zte_blade/commit/fbd2db94ce14be2e95ff58ea78fb9afafd03cd94

Edited by Dazzozo